Will there be an ability to download a "subset" of the books we own (for smaller drive pc's)?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 1 2013 5:55 PM

I recently changed to a Win 8 tablet.  It runs most of my software quite well (the processor is slower but it has a solid state drive).  But the drive capacity is way too small to consider loading my large Logos collection onto it.  However if there were a way to select the books I wanted to download to it, Logos would be a great option to have on this tablet.

Does anyone know if this is an option that is in the works?  I'd like it if it were.

Thanks.

Posts 28475
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 1 2013 6:15 PM

Logos has seemingly resisted this idea for a number of reasons. I would not expect it soon. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:53 AM

David Saylor:
the drive capacity is way too small to consider loading my large Logos collection onto it.

Logos consider the desktop Logos to be able to download all resources irrespective of trends like Windows 8 on a tablet device. Whilst they might be able to recognise them as a mobile device there would be many technical issues to resolve e.g. syncing layouts and updating resources between tablets and full Windows/Mac computers.

This could be accomplished manually e.g. deleting unwanted resources from the \Resources folder, but you would have to refuse downloading any updates, although you can still update the software via the web link.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 18887
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 2:46 AM

They have explained their reasons for not wanting to allow partial downloads. Here is Bob Pritchett's succinct summary of why:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/7813/62089.aspx#62089

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 7:57 AM

Rosie Perera:

They have explained their reasons for not wanting to allow partial downloads. Here is Bob Pritchett's succinct summary of why:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/7813/62089.aspx#62089

That explains why Logos won't allow you to be selective about what resources you update, but it doesn't explain why Logos won't let you hide different resources on different installations. At the moment I can choose to download only some of my resources on my iOS and Android devices, but I don't have that flexibility on Windows and Mac.

I suspect that the reason for that is simply that the demand doesn't warrant the investment. Most people have relatively small libraries, and those who don't can usually afford better hardware. Although on the surface it's a relatively simple thing to do (don't sync the "hidden resources" data between machines), many users already rely on on "hiddeness" syncing between devices, and would not be happy if this was suddenly changes. And if you just add an option to allow hiddeness to be synced or not, there are then big questions as to what happens if Machine A had 100 resources hidden and Machine B had 500 resources hidden and hiddennes was suddenly synced. Then of course, it's also the case that data stores are getting larger all the time, and in a few years (probably less), this problem will go away of it's own accord.

Posts 1706
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:05 PM

Now that we have support for mobile download management, it would be easier to implement this for desktop software. (Though maybe in reverse -- desktops defaulting to all resources downloading, and not / un- downloading ones you uncheck / remove?)

I'll talk it over with the team.

Posts 18887
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:31 PM

Bob Pritchett:

Now that we have support for mobile download management, it would be easier to implement this for desktop software. (Though maybe in reverse -- desktops defaulting to all resources downloading, and not / un- downloading ones you uncheck / remove?)

I'll talk it over with the team.

Thanks, Bob. This would be great. I have an enormous library, and while I do have an enormous hard disk on my desktop, I don't on my laptop. I take my laptop with me whenever I travel or go to a class or lecture, and all I really need is a bare bones Logos setup. So it would be awesome to be able to have only those books I want to download onto it (same as I can do with my Kindle reader on the different machines I own).

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 5:26 AM

Thanks Bob!

For my main PC, of course I want everything downloaded.

But if I get a cute Windows 8.1 Tablet later this year, I'd rather not have my Logos resources push me into a larger SSD than I can really afford. I love how it works on my iPhone where I have just a few resources downloaded, and on my iPad rather more, but still only a tiny subset of the full set.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS