5.1 Mac Processor Spikes

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:48 AM

After upgrading to 5.1 Mac, I'm noticing huge processor spikes (Activity Monitor is reporting up to 150% CPU usage) even when doing small things like reading through books (not even having any reports opened).

Anyone else having this issue?

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:07 AM

Nathan Parker:

After upgrading to 5.1 Mac, I'm noticing huge processor spikes (Activity Monitor is reporting up to 150% CPU usage) even when doing small things like reading through books (not even having any reports opened).

I haven't noticed this. Once my library was indexed again, everything has been running smoothly (and cool).

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 3:44 PM

Nathan Parker:

That depends. If it's Logos that's using 150%, then no, but if it's Finder, then yes.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 5:27 PM

fgh:

Nathan Parker:

That depends. If it's Logos that's using 150%, then no, but if it's Finder, then yes.

It was Logos. I'll re-fire it up later and see what happens. I didn't see the indexer running, but it's possible it was doing something like that.

Oh yeah on the Finder (and Safari, etc.). Apple's programmers have been getting too sloppy with performance coding in the last couple of releases of OS X. I almost want to go back to Snow Leopard. Lion was painful and Mountain Lion hasn't been as improved as I've been hoping it was.

Nathan Parker

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:43 PM

Nathan Parker:
I almost want to go back to Snow Leopard. Lion was painful and Mountain Lion hasn't been as improved as I've been hoping it was.

Depends on whether or not you want to use iCloud, which will not run with SL.

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:43 PM

Nathan Parker:

I almost want to go back to Snow Leopard. Lion was painful and Mountain Lion hasn't been as improved as I've been hoping it was.

Snow Leopard was the greatest thing Apple's ever done.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 1:44 PM

Jack Caviness:

Nathan Parker:

Depends on whether or not you want to use iCloud, which will not run with SL.

True and good point. I also need to see if enough of my apps will still run on SL. I'm not jumping into it overnight, but I'm considering it. I'm actually phasing out using a lot of my Mac apps and moving toward building my own machines dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu (Ubuntu for "productivity" work and Windows to run Logos and my weather apps), plus for syncing, I'm slowly phasing out iCloud now that I'm on a Android phone and rolling my own syncing servers. I'm trying to consolidate and reduce my dependency on "personal cloud" services. I've got unlimited web hosting through a Christian-based hosting provider, so I can run all my infrastructure there and customize it to run pretty much on any platform. It's more secure and I'm a little more in control over my data. Logos I'm OK with using for cloud services. I trust Logos.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 1:44 PM

Gabe Martini:

Nathan Parker:

Snow Leopard was the greatest thing Apple's ever done.

That is was. Oh how I miss those days!

Nathan Parker

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:54 PM

You guys are crazy. You are sounding like windows XP users. Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:00 PM

Nathan Parker:
. Apple's programmers have been getting too sloppy with performance coding in the last couple of releases of OS X. I almost want to go back to Snow Leopard. Lion was painful and Mountain Lion hasn't been as improved as I've been hoping it was.

Sssshhhhh. Don't say that or the Mac secret police will come and get you. If it was after Jobs died, they will give you a break. But to criticize Apple software that was written before Jobs passed on! Unthinkable, Unbelievable. Big Smile 

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 4:52 AM

Nathan Parker:
Oh yeah on the Finder (and Safari, etc.). Apple's programmers have been getting too sloppy with performance coding in the last couple of releases of OS X.

My issue lately with Finder stuck at 100% seems connected to Logos in some odd way. 

Besides, I'm still on 10.6.Smile

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:45 PM

alabama24:

You guys are crazy. You are sounding like windows XP users. Stick out tongue

At least MS made up for it in Windows 7 (although they had to go messup again in Win 8). Apple has yet to make up for Lion and ML. Not holding my breath for Mavericks. Personally I'm not caring for the "rapid release cycle" that Apple and MS are wanting to push. I'd rather wait a little longer and have something reliable than get a half-baked product rushed out to us every year.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:48 PM

Lynden Williams:

Nathan Parker:
. Apple's programmers have been getting too sloppy with performance coding in the last couple of releases of OS X. I almost want to go back to Snow Leopard. Lion was painful and Mountain Lion hasn't been as improved as I've been hoping it was.

Sssshhhhh. Don't say that or the Mac secret police will come and get you. If it was after Jobs died, they will give you a break. But to criticize Apple software that was written before Jobs passed on! Unthinkable, Unbelievable. Big Smile 

Hee hee. Well, I don't blame Lion on Steve much since he seemed very ill there near the end. I don't think he had the energy to light into the Lion team enough before (or after) it shipped. He seemed really frail at that WWDC.

Plus, if the Mac secret police wants to say anything, my defense would be...MobileMe. At least Steve did have enough energy then to chew out (and terminate) the MobileMe team (from what the news reported). 

Nathan Parker

Posts 27775
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 1:41 PM

Nathan Parker:
Apple has yet to make up for Lion and ML.

What do you find wrong with 10.7 & 10.8? I bought both, and thought both were an improvement upon the earlier versions.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 1:47 PM

alabama24:

Nathan Parker:
Apple has yet to make up for Lion and ML.

What do you find wrong with 10.7 & 10.8? I bought both, and thought both were an improvement upon the earlier versions.

Features: I like Lion and ML. There's some good features there.

Performance/Stability: Not near as good as SL. I've had way too many performance/stability issues with Lion and ML, even after multiple total clean installs and installing as few of apps as needed (to ensure I wasn't running any "gunk" on my system to interfere). Even with clean Lion and ML installs  and nothing installed yet, performance and stability wasn't near as good as SL.

Nathan Parker

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:10 PM

Nathan Parker:
ven with clean Lion and ML installs  and nothing installed yet, performance and stability wasn't near as good as SL.

Must be a problem with your installation. Have not done a clean install since Panther (10.3)—or even before—and have no performance/stability issues with Lion or Mountain Lion.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 7:54 AM

Nathan Parker:

Yes. 5.1 seems generally unstable.

After I upgraded (no problems with that) it indexed a number of updated titles then it sat on 150% with the CPU temp going up and up while it was syncing layouts etc. Tried a normal shutdown still sat there. In the end I force quit.

Also I now get multiple random hard crashes, 'hard' meaning Logos 5.1 just immediately and totally dies and does not even interact with the OS to advise a crash so things can be properly logged. This means that an error comes up in Logos 5.1 which the program is not even able to register and say "something went wrong and I need to close because the app is now unstable", the crash is so bad it just drops out to the OS. Not good.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 10584
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 1:43 PM

Patrick S.:
Also I now get multiple random hard crashes, 'hard' meaning Logos 5.1 just immediately and totally dies and does not even interact with the OS to advise a crash so things can be properly logged. This means that an error comes up in Logos 5.1 which the program is not even able to register and say "something went wrong and I need to close because the app is now unstable", the crash is so bad it just drops out to the OS. Not good.

Could you start a new thread and post logs? Personally have not had such crashes throughout the Beta cycle. I have experienced a few bye-byes, but nothing on a regular basis.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS