Do you like Logos' Series or want to create your own?

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 24739
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 4 2013 4:47 AM

Series are known as Serial Associations in Logos 3 and you could create your own in addition to the ones created by Logos. Thanks to v5.1 you can now create your own Series, or modify the Series name given by Logos.

Simply select one or more resources in Library and then click the Information button when you will see the existing Series name or an invitation to "Set series...".

If you don't like the 2-volume series name EBC Abridged Edition then change it (make sure you select all volumes in the Series).

Want to link a single-volume NT commentary to a single-volume OT commentary?  Select the two resources, click where it says Set series for all and type the name you want. Then you can prioritize the new series.

The feature is very flexible in that you can use any of the their data types to switch between resources  e.g. use TDNT # to switch from TWOT to TDNT and then use TWOT # to switch from TDNT back to TWOT. Alternatively, if you set "Send hyperlinks here" the same tab will be used for external hyperlinks to TDNT and TWOT numbers.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 4:58 AM

Thanks Dave for bringing this to our attention. I was not aware of this feature which could be very useful.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 6:28 AM

The most basic, and perhaps most useful use of this field, would be to put your BHS and NA28 in the same series so that you can seamlessly move from the OT to the NT and vice-versa, without opening and additional resource.

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 7:08 AM

Mark Barnes:

The most basic, and perhaps most useful use of this field, would be to put your BHS and NA28 in the same series so that you can seamlessly move from the OT to the NT and vice-versa, without opening and additional resource.

I love that idea Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 12:51 PM

Mark Barnes:

This is awesome! They pretty much snuck that in without much fanfare, but it's the serial associations that Libronix used to have, about which people complained bitterly when they were missing from Logos 4 when that was rolled out.

Thank you, Logos!

I've already been fixing up some of the inconsistent or missing series metadata in my library, and am glad to have this feature.

Next I wish they'd allow us to add our own cover images for non-PB books to fix missing or ugly ones such as John Bright's History of Israel:

Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:07 AM

This is a really good thing and thanks for sharing Dave!

I can update the "old American Commentary Series" that did not show resources in the ACNT/ACOT

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/67945.aspx

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:10 AM

I guess this would also be useful for creating your own Classic Commentary and Studies series for different books of the Bible, etc. if you are so inclined!

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 4:20 AM

Paul-C:
I guess this would also be useful for creating your own Classic Commentary and Studies series for different books of the Bible, etc. if you are so inclined!

That would actually be a bad idea, although you could certainly put them in the same collection. Series are serial, whereas collections are parallel (hence collections are used in the parallel resource menu). So, for commentaries, think about how you might lay the books out logically — side by side (parallel), or one after the other (series). Here's what I mean:

An example of books that belong side-by-side (i.e. in parallel), because they cover the same material

Cheyne's The Book of Psalms — Dickson's Explication of the Psalms — Horne's Commentary on the Psalms

An example of books that belong one after the other (i.e. in series), because they cover distinct material

Cheyne's Book of Psalms Volume 1
                        |
Cheyne's Book of Psalms Volume 2

Series are great because if you're looking at one book in the series, and try and go to a reference that's not in that book, then Logos will find that reference in another book in the same series. So if you're in the WBC commentary on Genesis, and you try to switch to Exodus, Logos will switch to the WBC volume on Exodus. Likewise, if you're in Cheyne's Books of Psalms: Vol 1, and switched to Psalm 150, then Logos will seamlessly switch to volume 2.

But if you changed the series of Cheyne's two volumes to Classic Commentaries on the Psalms, then Logos would no longer be able to automatically switch you to volume 2 if you tried to access a psalm that wasn't in volume 1. In fact, Logos would get quite confused as to which on the many commentaries on Psalms it should now switch to, and you'd get switched to an apparently random book in that series, rather than the volume you actually want.

So custom series is a very useful feature, but if you mess with it, you can break things. Perhaps that's why Logos took so long to implement it.

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 4:35 AM

Agreed Mark.  I misunderstood how "series" worked!

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 5:47 AM

Paul-C:

I think Mark showed very instructively how it makes sense that various commentaries on the same book shouldn't be in a series, but rather in a collection. What you could do, for example, is make your own "MyPremiumAuthor'sNTCommentary" - maybe your preferred author has commented on Romans in NIVAC, on 1 Corinthians in NAC and on 2nd Cor in TNTC, on Galatians in NICNT and on Eph in ZEC...

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:23 AM

Dave Hooton:
Series are known as Serial Associations in Logos 3 and you could create your own in addition to the ones created by Logos. Thanks to v5.1 you can now create your own Series, or modify the Series name given by Logos.

Mark Barnes:

At long last!!

BTW

Bouquets to Logos team. Cake Beer Drinks Cake Gift Pizza Coffee in any order. Big Smile

There is other stuff which has been fixed/improved/added in 5.1 (at least in Mac)

• CopyBibleVerses - Spacing fixed so that Mark 1:1-2,4 has a space between the verses if they are copied in paragraph mode.
  • Clippings - now copy in default font and size.
  • Auto Crash Logs - offer to post logs on re-opening after a crash.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 10041
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:31 AM

ok ... i guess i'm confused on Paul's point. On my Libronix, i can create a 'custom' commentary set of my favorite authors (those agreeing with me, of course). Then I keep a single commentary tab that follows my Bible, it refreshingly finding the best authors as i study (and mirroring back my well developed guesses).

(Actually Libby doesn't. But maybe L5 does). 

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:38 AM

Denise:

ok ... i guess i'm confused on Paul's point. On my Libronix, i can create a 'custom' commentary set of my favorite authors (those agreeing with me, of course). Then I keep a single commentary tab that follows my Bible, it refreshingly finding the best authors as i study (and mirroring back my well developed guesses).

See if this helps Denise. http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/collections

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:43 AM

Denise:

Yes, although whether it's a good idea is another question, because what you're calling a "'custom' commentary set" will overwrite Logos' built in series, which may not be what you want. (So if you added the WBC commentary on Exodus to your series, that would take it out of the WBC series, which would mean that you couldn't scroll into Exodus from the WBC commentary on Genesis).

But it's done through series, not collections (despite Lynden's link).

More importantly for you, perhaps, you can do it in Libronix, too. It's called "Serial Resource Association" there. It's been four years since I used L3, but I remember it being fairly straightforward to set up. It's on Tools/Library Management.

Posts 10041
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:57 AM

Well, I tried Lynden's idea along with the L5 new series functionality. Best I can figure neither work (Paul's idea). I put an Isaiah volume from Continental with an AYB Mark volume (both being off the wall-ish). Then opened the Isaiah volume and typed in a Mark reference. It didn't know what to do, whether a collection or series.

Edit:

Just saw your answer, Mark.  I just tried adding a test series to both L3 and L5; neither could move from Isaiah to Mark in the same window. Or I'm doing something wrong!  I regularly use the series/parallel in L3 to manage L3's inability to match up multi-book commentaries with 1-book commentaries. Probably I'm a little biased, but the L3 approach is considerably more manageable (compared to the new L5 series).

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:05 AM

Denise:
I put an Isaiah volume from Continental with an AYB Mark volume (both being off the wall-ish). Then opened the Isaiah volume and typed in a Matthew reference.

Denise:
Just saw your answer, Mark.  I just tried adding a test series to both L3 and L5; neither could move from Isaiah to Mark in the same window. Or I'm doing something wrong!  

If you have only have a Matthew and Isaiah commentary in your series, it's not going to navigate to Mark... ;-)

Posts 10041
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:10 AM

Ok, Mark. You're being graciously patient. But even if I had a series with every book in the Bible (but varying commentaries, AYB, WBC, etc ... the best of the best), it wouldn't work, right?

I'd think that'd be what most pastors would want?  A critical series (best of best), a pastoral series (best of best), etc.  I'm just opining, but some of these commentaries somehow manage to really jump the tracks.  I was in AYB's Mark and finally had to call for help from WBC.

Posts 717
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:55 AM

Mark Barnes:

That's great for people who know the original languages. Do you have a recommendation what OT and which NT interlinear resources are the most similar and most suitable to put into a series? Does the name of the series matter?

Armin

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 10:18 AM

Denise:
But even if I had a series with every book in the Bible (but varying commentaries, AYB, WBC, etc ... the best of the best), it wouldn't work, right?

On the contrary, that would work. It would take those commentaries out of their existing series, and into the new custom series. If your custom series consisted of WBC on Genesis, and NICOT on Exodus and PtW on Leviticus, then Logos would move seamlessly from one to the other as you entered the new reference in the reference box (either by typing in it, or by linking it to a bible, or by selecting 'send hyperlinks here' and clicking).

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 10:22 AM

Armin:
That's great for people who know the original languages. Do you have a recommendation what OT and which NT interlinear resources are the most similar and most suitable to put into a series? Does the name of the series matter

In Logos 5, then the Lexham Greek-English Interlinear New Testament and the Lexham Hebrew-English Interlinear Bible would be the most appropriate to put into a series. The name of the series doesn't matter, so long as it doesn't clash with anything else. To avoid unintentional clashes, it may be worth appending your initials or some other indicator to the name of the series. (That would also make it easier to find custom series in your library.) I've called mine OT and NT Interlinears (Custom), and OT and NT Original Language Texts (Custom).

Page 1 of 4 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS