Why Doddridge's Works are Worth It - (my sales pitch)

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 4 2013 11:55 AM

Philip Doddridge's works are so slow to get to production that I thought it was needful to start another thread on his works. In particular I think what is worth owning in this set is his included New Testament commentary "The Family Expositor". In my opinion it is worth getting all of his works just for the sake of owning his Family Expositor. 

Some reasons to consider it (and to consider upping your bid):

1. This work was Jonathan Edwards (considered by many America's best theologian) most used (and probably favorite) New Testament commentary. See this forum discussion for more on this. This should speak volumes to it's usefulness. (If you are not familiar with Edwards you should look into him)

2. Charles Spurgeon spoke very highly of this set in his "Commenting and Commentaries". See the above thread for more on his quote about it. 

3. The Family Expositor includes very instructive notes to the text of the NT. See the actual document here.

4. The work also contains practical application notes for every section (paragraph) of the NT. See the above link for the actual doc. In this way it works both as an exegetical commmentary and a pastoral application commentary.

5. The work contains a paraphrase of the entire NT. It is actually more of an elaboration of each verse though. This actually works out in becoming an extended commentary on each verse in the entire NT.

6. The whole work is in the style of an old puritan commentary. The puritan works are in my opinion the best, and this, although it was written after most of the puritan era stuff, has the same air of devotion and awe to it. It is great in it's use of logical reasoning and in it's humble devotional character. It's nothing less than what we would expect of a commentary that Edwards thought so much of. 

7. It is out of print, and cannot be found anywhere else except for extremely expensive 100 year old copies, or extremely expensive low quality imaged reprints. If Logos does not publish this work it could possibly die out and no longer be found.

Please bid and up your bid on this set! At the current rate it will take more than 4 years to reach production! See also this article on Doddridge if you want to know more about the man.

Posts 2916
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 9:27 PM

BId $60

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 6 2013 7:47 AM

Awesome!!!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 5:57 PM

Peace, Liam!                Just bid ........     matched the $60.00

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 7:51 PM

Very interesting to read the preview pages. I can't bid more than the expected price as I already have too many pre-pubs and community pricing options for my budget, but at least I'm in on this, thanks to your posting.

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 12 2013 6:27 PM

Nice!

Posts 124
Mark Ziebold | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 3:33 PM

I bid, make sure you have bid on Gill :)

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 8:20 PM

Mark Ziebold:
I bid, make sure you have bid on Gill :)

Sweet! Gill has my vote as well!

Posts 74
James Ogle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 8:32 PM

$60 Yes

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 4:51 PM

James Ogle:
$60 Yes

Nice! I'm hoping I'll be able to see the $60 dot start moving up!!!

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 12:09 PM

Bump!

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 2:51 PM

In at $60.

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 3:28 PM

Awesome Joan!

Maybe if the Family Expositor was broken out into its own resource on CP it would move a lot faster!...............?

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 12 2013 9:03 AM

Just found that it has moved up to 30% in the last few weeks!!!!

It was stuck at just under 20% for about a year before that!

Hopefully by keeping this post going we can get it to move faster! 

Thanks for posting and bidding everybody!

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 16 2013 1:23 PM

Bump!

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 7:21 AM

Bump Again!

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 2 2013 10:10 AM

From the looks of it, if everyone in at $20 just bid $30, the progress on this resource would go up to 60%! If all the $20ers went up to $40 it would probably go up to 75%!!! Come on all you $20 bidders! Lets get this one in!!! why not go up to $40?!!! 

....We have the free $20 credit this month anyway!!

This resource is worth it!!!

(This is all with my guesswork math... but I'm pretty sure it works out...)

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 14 2013 9:03 AM

Bump!!!! (I'm determined!)

Posts 1147
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2013 6:58 AM

Also, here's a link to a PB of Doddridge's Romans 1-8: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/55923.aspx

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2013 8:22 AM

Thanks, Liam!         *smile*                                                             Peace!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS