logos 5 vs logos 4 & 3

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
John Victor Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:03 PM

Can anyone tell me whether Logos 5 is simpler and easier to use?  I have had all the versions from Libronics 1 and in my book Logos 3 was the easiest to use. I HATE using Logos 4 and have gone to Olive Tree which is way, way easier that the complexity of Logos 4.  I don't have hours and hours to train myself to find some obscure apparent advantage.  I have got all the Marketing stuff trying to persuade me to upgrade but all it is a product add on.  It interestingly says nothing about - wow, it is simple to use, so my assumption is that Logos 5 continues to be designed for academics and not ordinary pastors.  Olive Tree is so simple as was Logos 3.  Whatever happened to Logos 4 designers was that they got so smart that they got too smart for a South African pastor and similutaneously withdrew the wonderful South Africa support they had. 

Again my question is - Is Logos 5 simpler to use than Logos, is it designed for average dummy pastors or brilliant academics? (I notice there are no tags in the list for easier or simpler, so I guess I gat my answer from the brilliant boffins who have decided to place this above the level of an average pastor.

Thanks

John 

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:26 PM

John Victor Thomas:
Again my question is - Is Logos 5 simpler to use than Logos, is it designed for average dummy pastors or brilliant academics?

John, it is conceptually the same as Logos 4 with a bit more speed and some very nice new tools (if you have the resources to make them work their best). The new L5 engine is free so you could download and test it. The Minimal Crossgrade has almost all the tools and resources to take advantage of the new features.

I am a pastor and work extensively with Logos and feel the time I've invested in it to learn what I want to do has been well worth the investment. It certainly hasn't taken as long as a single semester long Greek class and will pay you back for years. I have laypeople in my church who use it, though they may not need all the features I do and therefore haven't learned to use them.

If you haven't seen Mark Barnes's intro video on new features in L5 I'd encourage you to do so.  His Learning Logos 4 videos are very good and would be worth viewing if you decide to go forward with L5. I think Logos 5 has a lot going for it.

No words easy, simple, etc. But you can do quite a bit just typing a passage or topic into the Go Bar on the Logos 5 Home Page.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:44 PM

Welcome to the forums John.

Choose your platform and watch the videos. http://www.logos.com/training

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 2:48 PM

John Victor Thomas:
Can anyone tell me whether Logos 5 is simpler and easier to use?

Logos 5 is as easy to use as Logos 4 - although there are new features in Logos 5, nothing has changed significantly, so there's nothing to unlearn or re-learn. There are a few new Guides which make some things even easier than before, though.

John Victor Thomas:
in my book Logos 3 was the easiest to use. I HATE using Logos 4

I'm really surprised by this - I felt just the opposite! Of course, L3 is quite different to L4/5 so if you don't adjust how you work, you will find things tricky. But I'm confident that if you persevered, you would find that Logos 4/5 is very simple to use once you get the hang of it. If you like, give me an example of something you find difficult in Logos 4/5, and I'll suggest a simple way to do it (if I can!).

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:48 PM

John Victor Thomas:

Again my question is - Is Logos 5 simpler to use than Logos, is it designed for average dummy pastors or brilliant academics? (I notice there are no tags in the list for easier or simpler, so I guess I gat my answer from the brilliant boffins who have decided to place this above the level of an average pastor.

Thanks

John 

I used to use Logos 3 every day on my PC.  I started to use Logos 4 but now I only open it once every 4 months to get its updates.  I simply do not use my PC for bible study anymore.  I use AcroBible on my Kindle Fire HD.  I am not a pastor or a theologian.  I am just an average layman.  I saw an offer to upgrade my version of Logos 4 to Logos 5 Gold version today for just $ 353.22.  It seems like a great price and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it worked on my Kindle Fire HD.  However, PC Bible study and reading eBooks has gone totally obsolete for me.  I read all my history and biography eBooks on my Kindle Paperwhite and most other activity on my Kindle Fire HD.  Logos has come out with a Noet platform for the classics.  I'd very much like to see Logos provide the same features as Logos 5 has to fit all my Kindle eBooks - bible and all other kinds of books.  I can see great value to Logos' analytic features but its PC platform has ended for me unless something changes dramatically - maybe Logos 6.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 3:52 PM

Sir Maru, most of Logos books can be downloaded to your Kindle Fire. Those that cannot is due to publisher restrictions.

Take a look at their training video for the Kindle Fire https://www.logos.com/training/kindlefire The app is being updated as they add new features.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 4:39 PM

The jump from Logos 3 to Logos 4 was a big change.  When I first started using L4, I hated it.  I was having a hard time letting go of L3 and I didn't want to take the time to learn a completely new program.  Common sense finally took over and I decided one day to put L3 behind me and I dove it head first into L4 and I picked up on it rather quickly.  I am very glad that I did - I love L4 (and L5) much better than I ever did L3.  The jump from L4 to L5 was not that big of a deal as far as learning how to use it goes, so if you just take the time to dig in and figure out the mechanics of how it works, I am sure you will be glad in the end that you did.  The newsgroup is a great way to get help with stuff that you don't understand - there are plenty of people here willing to help you if you just ask.  As mentioned before, Mark Barnes' videos are great and can really get you up to speed quickly, if you just take the time and effort to dig in.  Good luck.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 4 2013 5:21 PM

John Victor Thomas:
Can anyone tell me whether Logos 5 is simpler and easier to use?  I have had all the versions from Libronics 1 and in my book Logos 3 was the easiest to use.

Welcome Big Smile

Thankful for many new Logos 5 features on Windows 7 and OS X.  Logos 5.1 Search has two more options plus many examples:

Personally learned Logos 4 a lot more than Libronix 3 and Series X, then used lessons learned in Libronix 3.  User interface appears a bit different.  Logos 5 and 4 have tabs with resource name along the top of a panel while Libronix 3 has them along the bottom.  Logos 5 and 4 have layouts while Libronix 3 has workspaces.  Logos 5.1 can customize series, which is similar to Libronix 3 serial resource association.  Logos 5 added Library filtering by collection; also Library icon view shows my tags.  Thankful for visual filter highlighting improvements in Logos 4 and 5; wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters

By the way, screen shot has Heading Text and Large Text fields, which is a quick way to find articles or chapters in Logos 4 and 5.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:21 AM

Lynden Williams:

Sir Maru, most of Logos books can be downloaded to your Kindle Fire. Those that cannot is due to publisher restrictions.

Take a look at their training video for the Kindle Fire https://www.logos.com/training/kindlefire The app is being updated as they add new features.

I have Logos Android App on my Kindle Fire HD.  However, it does not have any of the Logos 5 features for the PC.  So far as the resources go, they do not work as smoothly as the same resources in the AcroBible App.  If all the Logos 5 analytic features were ported to the android app, I would be interested in buying it.

Posts 6483
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:27 AM

Sir Maru:
I have Logos Android App on my Kindle Fire HD.  However, it does not have any of the Logos 5 features for the PC.  So far as the resources go, they do not work as smoothly as the same resources in the AcroBible App.  If all the Logos 5 analytic features were ported to the android app, I would be interested in buying it.

Neither the ipad or the android tablets have the power to do what your pc can do. Maybe in another 5-7 years, but not now.

Posts 1426
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:56 AM

John Victor Thomas:

Can anyone tell me whether Logos 5 is simpler and easier to use?  I have had all the versions from Libronics 1 and in my book Logos 3 was the easiest to use. I HATE using Logos 4 and have gone to Olive Tree which is way, way easier that the complexity of Logos 4...

I stared to use Logos from Logos 4 edition and now I am using L5. Recently I tried just for curiosity to use libronix version. I would say in opposite, for me L4-L5 is so easy and libronix is so complicated. The bottom line is what you started with that is what you got used to and that seems to be easy for you. I would suggest you to watch Mark Barnes video and try L5. 

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS