Tutorial - Keeping track of reading list

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:40 AM

This is a tutorial I created on how to keep track of the resources you are reading in Logos4. The Reading Plan on the Ribbon Bar is great for daily readings, but most of my reading isn't something I would want to create a plan for. I use a note file and create links to the resources I am currently reading.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:42 AM

I reckon a link would help :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQA2yAulWG4

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:07 AM

Wonderful Video!  I knew the linking was possible, but I never understood how to do it.  Thank you for taking the time to make and post your video!

Posts 2784
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:12 AM

Very handy.

Logos - if you are listening, please automate this for reading of non Biblical books like this. I really like your approach. It just makes me wish it was built into Logos.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 9:38 AM

Does anyone know how to do this with WordPerfect or OpenOffice?

I can't get it to work.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:06 AM

Very useful!  Adding the note icon to the shortcuts bar is the icing on the cake--Thank you!!!  Yes

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 10:54 AM

Wouldn't using the Favorites under "Tools" do the same thing for coming back to where you left off reading? It seems to work for me that way.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:17 AM

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Favorites opens the resource up to the same place each time. The links opens it back up to the last place you were at.

Posts 19039
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:18 AM

Thanks, Gary. This is a great suggestion and a very well-done video. I've added you to the list of trustworthy video producers on the wiki and now we'll be looking forward to more good content from you... ;-)

I noticed you were using Word 2007 to insert the hyperlink. In case people have older versions of Word, or in case anyone wants a quicker way to bring up that dialog, Ctrl+K will do it in all versions (at least 2003 and probably earlier, but nobody with Logos 4 has older versions of Word than that, do they?).

Mary-Ellen Vian:

Very useful!  Adding the note icon to the shortcuts bar is the icing on the cake--Thank you!!!  Yes

If only Logos would show you the name of that particular Notes File when you hovered over the button on the shortcut bar, it would be perfect. Right now it just says "Show Notes Document"; not very helpful if you have several shortcuts to different notes files. But I think I read somewhere that this will be coming in a future release.

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:33 AM

Thanks Rosie. I'm a noobie with Logos, but I'm learning and love to share if I think it will help others.

Posts 21
Tom Weil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:43 AM

True but if you change the setting which only requires hitting the "x" to delete and the clicking on the bookmark setting you are done.

Posts 19039
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:49 AM

ThomasWeil:

True but if you change the setting which only requires hitting the "x" to delete and the clicking on the bookmark setting you are done.

Can you explain better? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:05 PM

Gary O'Neal:

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the Favorites opens the resource up to the same place each time. The links opens it back up to the last place you were at.

It's nice tutorial. Interesting idea. A little bit too complicated for starting to read a new book.

I use a very simple way. I open the book, read it, than put it to the shortcuts bar and as I come back next time, click it and it opens to the page I close it with. I read some more and next time it opens again at the place I left it. Very simple if you do not have too many books on the shortcuts bar Smile

EDIT: I am using Beta, so I am not able to say if it works also for the SR version of Logos4.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:00 PM

woo hoo!! what a great tip!

It works like a charm...

thanks very much

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 7:24 PM

Gary O'Neal:

This is a tutorial I created on how to keep track of the resources you are reading in Logos4. The Reading Plan on the Ribbon Bar is great for daily readings, but most of my reading isn't something I would want to create a plan for. I use a note file and create links to the resources I am currently reading.

Good job Gary!!

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:41 AM

useful, thanks for sharing

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:52 AM

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

Posts 3894
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 5:53 AM

another approach (btw, i like Bohuslav's approach, too) is to have layout's devoted to reading.  For instance, I have one with "worship" with resources such has Webber's books, and another dealing with "Hermeneutics" having such books as the "hermeneutical spiral".  I suppose you could just have a generic "reading" layout with several of your books of all topics open there.  The key would be to resave that window each time you are done reading so the books open where you left off.  That is a bit cumbersome currently in SR7 but I understand they will be making a simpler way to save layouts.  Within the layout you can easily put a resource in "reading mode."

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 366
Ken F Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:27 AM

Gary O'Neal:
I use a note file and create links to the resources

I can create the link, but it just opens L3 instead opening the link in L4.  The link looks like this: libronixdls:jump|res=LLS:DNTWASTELF.  Any ideas?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:36 AM

Ken F Hill:

Gary O'Neal:
I use a note file and create links to the resources

I can create the link, but it just opens L3 instead opening the link in L4.  The link looks like this: libronixdls:jump|res=LLS:DNTWASTELF.  Any ideas?

Did you use the scipts to install your L4 books in Libronix? Some people were reporting that those scripts made the libronixdls: hyperlinks revert back to version 3. I don't remember reading that the problems was resolved; I imagine some registry key will have to be changed back.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS