Logos Newbie...Need Some Logos 5 Hebrew Help!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Matt | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 12 2013 9:15 PM

Hi...I recently started using Logos 5 as my main tool for working in the original languages.  I have BHS4 with the Westminster 4.2 Morphology.  How do I get the info box at the bottom of my workspace to include the gloss for the word, along with the morphology?  I know it must include that information because when I use the text on my iPad, it gives me the definition.  Your help is appreciated! Smile

Posts 21936
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:11 AM

Hi Matthew - and welcome to the forums

The conversation at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/67976.aspx suggests the information is not available - but I note your comment about seeing it on the iPad!

I don't have this resource so can't comment further but hopefully someone will be along soon who can

Graham 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 4:39 AM

Thread => Hebrew Definitions Not Displaying mentions AFAT having pop-up that includes gloss:

Albeit AFAT can be verbose.

http://www.logos.com/product/2056/lexham-hebrew-english-interlinear-bible (LHI) is included in many Logos 5 packages.  For language study, displaying English literal translation can be counter productive for learning language.  LHI display includes transliterated.

http://www.logos.com/product/21066/german-bible-society-bundle-student-edition includes SESB 2.0 and has dynamic upgrade pricing.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 7:06 AM

Matthew Ruesch:

Hi...I recently started using Logos 5 as my main tool for working in the original languages.  I have BHS4 with the Westminster 4.2 Morphology.  How do I get the info box at the bottom of my workspace to include the gloss for the word, along with the morphology?  I know it must include that information because when I use the text on my iPad, it gives me the definition.  Your help is appreciated! Smile

I've had the same question for a while now and... I can't figure out any way to make it happen. Unlike Accordance, there doesn't seem to be any option available to customize the order of the morphology or to add/remove the gloss of a particular word. It's annoying, to say the least.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:11 AM

The difference between the display of glosses in AFAT and BHS 4.2 can be accounted for by the fact that the gloss is a search field in AFAT, but not in BHS.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:49 AM

George Somsel:

The difference between the display of glosses in AFAT and BHS 4.2 can be accounted for by the fact that the gloss is a search field in AFAT, but not in BHS.

But that's what's so strange, in my opinion. How is it that BHS, the standard Hebrew text, lacks the usefulness of AFAT in Logos while it is easily usable with glosses in Accordance? The same question applies to UBS4 - in the GBS bundle for Logos, you get UBS4 without morphological tagging, but with the apparatus. If you buy UBS4 with morphological tagging, however, you lose the apparatus. Surely Logos could re-work these resources and make them far, far more 'complete' than they currently are.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 11:01 AM

Adam Rao:

George Somsel:

But that's what's so strange, in my opinion. How is it that BHS, the standard Hebrew text, lacks the usefulness of AFAT in Logos while it is easily usable with glosses in Accordance? The same question applies to UBS4 - in the GBS bundle for Logos, you get UBS4 without morphological tagging, but with the apparatus. If you buy UBS4 with morphological tagging, however, you lose the apparatus. Surely Logos could re-work these resources and make them far, far more 'complete' than they currently are.

Perhaps in Accordance the glosses are derived elsewhere (such as a lexicon).  You don't need or really want a gloss anyway.  You should look it up in a CREDIBLE lexicon (which means one that has more than simply glosses—most particularly not Strongs).  That's how you learn.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS