greek: is it possible to highlight all words that occur 50 times or more in the new testament?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 13 2013 10:40 AM

greek: is it possible to highlight all words that occur 50 times or more in the new testament?

P A

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 12:09 PM

I really don't know the answer to that since I don't highlight things, but I would ask you whether you think that is wise?  I'm reminded of the saying that if everything is special then nothing is special.  It would simply be a blur of color.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 3:08 PM

It used to be possible to create "Vocabulary Lists" in Logos. Has that feature been removed in Logos 5?

That's the way I'd start on creating a visual filter of words according to frequency.

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 3:15 PM

@KeepSmiling4Jesus: I see on the wiki that you created such a filter, but are you sharing the filter. As you indicated, creating one's own list of lemmas is a daunting task!

Posts 8973
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 5:53 PM

Mark Hoffman:

It used to be possible to create "Vocabulary Lists" in Logos. Has that feature been removed in Logos 5?

That's the way I'd start on creating a visual filter of words according to frequency.

In Logos 5 it is called Word Lists and it is located under Documents. Here is a good video explaining it and giving some good strategies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49WqtHH54wA

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 462
Anon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 13 2013 8:13 PM

Bruce Dunning:

In Logos 5 it is called Word Lists and it is located under Documents. Here is a good video explaining it and giving some good strategies.

Thanks for posting the above link.  Found it helpful.

OS X 10.14.6  |  Logos 8.8 

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 1:15 AM

Mark Hoffman:
@KeepSmiling4Jesus: I see on the wiki that you created such a filter, but are you sharing the filter. As you indicated, creating one's own list of lemmas is a daunting task!

I have Word Lists of the entire NA28 and BHS. I'd be happy to share with any Faithlife group. They can be exported into Excel, and with a little manipulation they can be used to create frequency filters.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 5:52 AM

Mark Barnes:

Mark Hoffman:

I have Word Lists of the entire NA28 and BHS. I'd be happy to share with any Faithlife group. They can be exported into Excel, and with a little manipulation they can be used to create frequency filters.

Please share word lists with => https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters

Thanks to MJ Smith for creating Greek Word Frequency examples.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 11:16 AM

Okay, I put my visual filters out

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13367
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 12:35 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Please share word lists with => https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters

I've done this, and also shared an NT and OT Hapax Legomena visual filter. To convert the word list of the entire NT/OT to a visual filter that highlights all the words with more than x occurrences, follow these steps:

1. Sort by Count, and export the Word List to Excel. Copy the lemmas you want onto the clipboard:
  2. Paste them into Microsoft Word or similar. Make sure you paste as Plain Text (on Windows, use Paste Special), as you don't want them in a table.
  3. Add "lemma:" to the beginning of the first line, then use Find/Replace to replace a carriage return with ", lemma:".
  4. Copy the result to the clipboard...
  5. …and paste into a morph visual filter
Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 3:56 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Mark Hoffman:

Peace, Bruce!                         Thanks for the link!           *smile*             It's one I hadn't seen yet; and it is appreciated!

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:49 AM

@Mark Barnes: Thanks for providing the procedure... So, it is possible to create a 'graduated reader' type of visual filter in Logos based on word frequency, but it cannot be done quickly or easily. Accordance and BibleWorks make this task lots easier...

Posts 26757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 1:51 PM

I've made my version of these public ... each covers a range of frequencies.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:22 PM

@MJ Smith: Thank you for sharing your visual filter files, but I just can't find them.

I looked here: https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters/documents and they are not there.

Is there someplace else I should be looking for them?

Thanks! TLbwy! Mark

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:33 PM

Mark Hoffman:
Is there someplace else I should be looking for them?

=> https://documents.logos.com/groups/3376172/documents

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 8:37 AM

Ευχαριστω σοι!

Posts 7
Jeremy Bullard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 2 2013 8:33 AM

Thanks Mark, I've been looking for how to do this, this is a great service. Now if I can only get it on my Android device. 

Posts 291
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 6:33 PM

Mark Hoffman:

@Mark Barnes: Thanks for providing the procedure... So, it is possible to create a 'graduated reader' type of visual filter in Logos based on word frequency, but it cannot be done quickly or easily. Accordance and BibleWorks make this task lots easier...

Is this still the fastest way to create a visual filter based on a word list?  It would sure be useful to be able to directly link these two types of documents so a visual filter can depend on a word list...

Posts 2333
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 8 2014 7:04 PM

P A,

You are the David Hilbert of all things Logos your questions are always stimulating and much is learned from hash them out!

Thanks

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS