Don't miss out to use it, it's a very good version!:

P A:
Don't miss out on 41% off REB

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2013 8:43 PM

The two of them are essential. The NEB is a groundbreaking translation that offers bold translations choices to offer a good alternative translation. The REB is slightly more conservative but has such a wonderfully poetic style that has really not been seen since the KJV.

-Dan

Posts 2706
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:10 AM

P A:

http://www.logos.com/product/24537/the-revised-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

If you insist.Geeked I almost passed on this one, but it's important enough to have.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:26 AM

Ok, Dan. Any examples of bold-ish phrasing? My current bold translation is YLT, who oft-times escapes any attempts to nail down his bold source(s).

I'm especially iffy on the NEB since it's missing one of its volumes.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 929
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:47 AM

Denise

There is nothing missing.

NEB =old testament + Apocrypha + New Testament

Posts 929
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:54 AM

NEB The library edition in paper has 4 volumes

2 old testament

1 apocrypha

1 New Testament

In digital it is one volume! ( I think :)

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 11:13 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_English_Bible has listed some of the more controversial verses but this should safely show that they translated how their scholarship lead them to do it regardless of traditional rendering. 

http://www.bible-researcher.com/neb.html here is a review with a few more samples.

And here is the New Testament online to let you see if it would be of interest to you. http://www.katapi.org.uk/NEB/master.html?http://www.katapi.org.uk/NEB/IntroContents.php

-Dan

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 3:23 PM

Thanks, P A and Dan

That explains why there's 4 volumes in the image, but 3 below.

And indeed the NEB looks to be the bad-boy of translations (clearly YLT not even in the running). Mat 5.3 completely obviates my own hobby-horse interpretation but the differences certainly catch the eye.

Thanks for both replies; excellent. I'll probably get the NEB.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 3:52 PM

Hi, Denise! How are You!
That verse in REB: `Blessed are the poor in spirit; the kingdom of Heaven is theirs.

Are there any other passages You would like to see from the REB?:

Denise:
And indeed the NEB looks to be the bad-boy of translations (clearly YLT not even in the running). Mat 5.3 completely obviates my own hobby-horse interpretation but the differences certainly catch the eye.

Perhaps You would know the answer to the question about the Princeton Symposium on the Dead Sea Scrolls - Charlesworth?

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 4:23 PM

“Under three things the earth shakes, four things it cannot bear: a slave becoming king, a fool gorging himself, a hateful woman getting wed, and a slave supplanting her mistress. Four things there are which are smallest on earth yet wise beyond the wisest: ants, a folk with no strength, yet they prepare their store of food in the summer; rock-badgers, a feeble folk, yet they make their home among the rocks; locusts, which have no king, yet they all sally forth in formation; the lizard, which can be grasped in the hand, yet is found in the palaces of kings.” (Proverbs 30:21–28 REB)

I always found this quite a quaint translation from the REB.

-dan

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 16 2013 9:12 PM

Hi Unix. 

Thanks to Dan's continuing helpfulness and those sites, I got my NEB order in. 

Here's Mat 5.3 'How blessed are those who know their need of God.' Don't think Polycarp would have got an NEB. More likely an REB.

The NEB completely wiped out maybe 5 different conspiracy theories with just that 1 verse. Luckily REB has everything back on track.

Appreciate your offer on other REB verses.

I think your price on Charlesworth was lowest.  Sorry I missed the earlier thread.

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 2:12 AM

Okay, okay, okay! You guys sold me. I put in my order. Thanks for translation helps.

CL

Posts 929
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:20 AM

You so seriously don't want to miss this!

41 % off full price of REB

Also don't forget about the NEB

http://www.logos.com/product/24552/the-new-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

I know of no other bible software that has the NEB!

Bible gateway does not have either of these 2 versions.

P A

Posts 929
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 2:45 PM

Just 24Hours left...

Don't forget to have a  look at the NEB

http://www.logos.com/product/24552/the-new-english-bible-with-the-apocrypha

Just 24 Hours left....Wink

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 3:02 PM

Peace, Dear Brother!

I must needs commend you for your persistence, eh???

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 16
David R Saunders | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 12:19 AM

The release date for the Logos REB and NEB seems to keep moving forward. For a while it was in June, then it went to July. It was yesterday, but now it's moved to next Monday.

I've been waiting for an electronic version of these for ages and now the wait goes on!

The NEB is especially useful; although it is dated. It was the first major modern English translation which was not particularly influenced by the KJV/RSV tradition, or in bondage to the expectations of the largely evangelical driven market. The scholars who translated it were allowed to follow their own understanding and it is always worth consulting, if only to find out the reasons why they opted for a different meaning.

The language of the REB is more modern and some of the more speculative translations were dropped.

Posts 3153
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 12:42 AM

David R Saunders:

The release date for the Logos REB and NEB seems to keep moving forward. For a while it was in June, then it went to July. It was yesterday, but now it's moved to next Monday.

I've been waiting for an electronic version of these for ages and now the wait goes on!

The NEB is especially useful; although it is dated. It was the first major modern English translation which was not particularly influenced by the KJV/RSV tradition, or in bondage to the expectations of the largely evangelical driven market. The scholars who translated it were allowed to follow their own understanding and it is always worth consulting, if only to find out the reasons why they opted for a different meaning.

The language of the REB is more modern and some of the more speculative translations were dropped.

Please help me to evaluate it, how do I know whether the translation is trustworthy?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 2:14 AM

The REB is very trustworthy. Look up for example G. B. Caird on Wikipedia and some of the other translators are also there.

I've collected a bit of comparison between different English Bible versions in: OT exegetical versions compared to
1995 Contemporary English Version

If You want to compare different English Bible versions, the UBS Handbook is good for that, it includes versions such as REB, JB and 1976 Good News Translation (with 4 Edition NT and 1st Edition OT, there's since been two new Editions, in 1992 and in 2004):

Tes:
Please help me to evaluate it, how do I know whether the translation is trustworthy?

The more modern language of the REB is an important thing. The NEB was already archaic when it was released because much influence from over the pond had entered British after WWII.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com

Posts 16
David R Saunders | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 20 2013 5:28 AM

Tes:

I agree that the USB handbooks are very useful.

I tend to compare the more dynamic equivalent based translations with a more literal translation like the NASB or NRSV. If the dynamic equivalent translation comes up with something surprising, then I research the reason why. The more literal translations may lose some of the meaning because they tend to  be more word for word and there may, for example, be an idiomatic meaning in the original that is lost in the English.

Col 4:6 reads: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer everyone." NRSV, followed by NIV and many more.  But what is "speech seasoned with salt"? There evidence that salty speech referred to wit or humour in ancient Greek. Hence the JB gives "with a flavour of wit" and William Barclay "seasoned with the salt of wit". The NEB & REB both have "never insipid" which is probably a reasonable choice.

Page 1 of 4 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS