NOOK Simple Touch on sale

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 17 2013 9:49 AM

I noticed today that Best Buy had the NOOK Simple Touch for $50 after $30 off.

This is not a color Nook, its the E-ink or E-paper. And this is the only reason I am buying one. These displays are amazingly easy on the eyes for reading. This is not a full featured tablet, its an E-reader.

I have a use for this just to read books in PDF and ePUB formats, So I already ordered one.

I do not know if the Logos Android app will run on this or not. It is supposed to be rootable.

It might be worth it to me to root this if I can view my Logos books on it too. Has anyone rooted one of these and gotten the Logos Android app to run?

Posts 29935
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 10:03 AM

You should check in the Android forum: 

http://community.logos.com/forums/96.aspx 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 10:31 AM

alabama24:

You should check in the Android forum: 

http://community.logos.com/forums/96.aspx 

Yeah thanks for the input although I have already read through most of it. The majority of the information there is old and no longer applies. The current NOOK Simple Touch is shipping with Android 2.1.

Even if it was not capable of running Logos reader, its still a bargain at $50

Posts 482
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 10:43 AM

I don't know the answer, but please let me know if you do get Logos to run. My wife gets headaches and can't use a normal tablet because of the bright screen. A Logos-compatible e-reader would be really helpful.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 12:33 PM

I'm pretty certain it will run Logos if it is rooted. But it might have to be an older version. I am still looking through the Android forum.

At this price I decided to grab one even if it didn't. Logos on it would just be an added plus Big Smile

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 1:45 PM

I know others have run older versions of the android app on it before with good success-A Logos employee also posted info on getting it to run at one point, IIRC. I'm unclear if the older versions of Logos app are easily available.

I'm very surprised that there doesn't seem to be any custom roms available for the Nook with newer versions of Android.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 5:27 PM

Just got home from picking it up. $50 at Best Buy thru the website with in-store pickup.

Got a Lautner genuine synthetic leather cover for it $8.97 (marked down from $30) at Office Depot on the way home.

Also noted, Family bookstores has its Kobo Mini 5" e-Reader on Sale for $40 (50% off). This is a little bit smaller than

the Nook Simple Touch, which might be viewed as a plus or a minus.

The Kobo readers are advertised as coming with a large number of free books, but I have yet to see the list of free books.

Sale on this one ends tomorrow so if anyone is interested, don't wait too long.

I doubt you would ever get Logos to run on this one, but who knows? Cool

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 4:10 AM

I have a Nook Simple Touch. I rooted it several months ago, and found an older version of the Logos app that runs on it. After a couple of weeks, I gave up on it. Too many of my resources have features that require a newer version of Android. What I would love is an e-ink reader that could also run text-centered apps like Logos.

Posts 397
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:42 PM

Mark Nolette:

I have a Nook Simple Touch. I rooted it several months ago, and found an older version of the Logos app that runs on it. After a couple of weeks, I gave up on it. Too many of my resources have features that require a newer version of Android. What I would love is an e-ink reader that could also run text-centered apps like Logos.

Didn't know the android app had many features. were you able to read books? that all I would want to do.

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 4:12 AM

I was able to read some books. Some books would not open, because they had features that required a more recent version of Android. It's worth a try. At least some of your books will open,

Posts 29935
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 22 2013 4:32 AM

Mark Nolette:

I was able to read some books. Some books would not open, because they had features that required a more recent version of Android. It's worth a try. At least some of your books will open,

Are you talking about the Logos Android app? I've never used it, but I am unaware of book resources which won't open due to the Android version... Can you explain more? Which resources?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS