I really wish Logos had this

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 17 2013 12:21 PM

I was just looking at some books I own in Google Books and they have a really cool feature which I wish Logos had.

The feature is that they allow you to toggle between reading "Flowing text" and "Scanned images".

The current format for Logos books would be like the "Flowing text" format, but the "Scanned images" format is an actual image of the page in the print version.

Some reasons why this appeals to me personally include:

1) May enhance the quality of the reading experience for some books in that looking at the original image more closely simulates reading the original book. This would be especially true reading older titles where the print does not resemble modern fonts

2) Allows users to double-check the original in the event that they suspect a typo

3) The front/back covers and certain introductory/concluding pages of books don't always make it into the Logos format, though I sometimes would like to view those

4) Might help attract new users to Logos who have been hesitant to make the full switch to digital books

5) Overall, I think it's a feature that would add to the "cool factor" of the Logos platform :)

Some potential problems I can think of (with mitigating factors) include:

1) Would it be difficult to get the approval of publishers? (although it doesn't seem to be a problem for Google)

2) I am guessing that Logos probably does not already have scanned images for most books, except maybe older titles where they had to do the OCR themselves. Therefore this could take some time and money (though I am pretty amazed at how good the technology has gotten for book scanning)

3) You would probably only be able to use it when you are online since it might take up too much space to store all those images locally on your device (although you might be able to keep the file sizes small since you don't need high-resolution pictures for images of text)

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and I would love to hear from Logos as to whether this might be possible and why or why not.

Thanks.

Posts 18645
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 12:28 PM

Interesting idea. Yeah, I've seen this in Google Books, and it is nice for older works when the OCR might not have been accurate.

Not necessary for most newer books I would think, and probably even meaningless for some books (e.g., most Vyrso titles) where there's practically no attention paid to layout on the page and page breaks in making the print edition. The books come to Logos in digital form and Logos's layout of that digital data is as good as any printer's might be.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 17 2013 12:59 PM

Sogol:

I was just looking at some books I own in Google Books and they have a really cool feature which I wish Logos had.

The feature is that they allow you to toggle between reading "Flowing text" and "Scanned images".

That would likely require at least twice the storage space, so if they were to offer it, I would hope that there would be a choice to opt out.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS