The Complete Classic Commentaries Bundle (1,537 vols.)

Page 3 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 86 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 12:47 PM

Mike Pettit:
but nothing is downloading yet, there do appear to be some issues with this set.

I just spoke with Customer Service about this issue. They told me there is a backlog in the server right now (due to maintenance last night) and by day's end they should catch up with everyone's downloads. It is not just this resource. Another one I ordered has not downloaded.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 12:48 PM

Yeah for me the price point might be somewhere in the $300 range, $500 max.    Lots of good stuff here, I guess I should have bought these all on CP.  $$$ now.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 2:29 PM

So if independently we have a purchase in for Classic Commentaries on the Minor Prophets for $30, and we order this, should we cancel that order?

FYI I have had order completed for about 12 hours and still no unlock.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 2:33 PM

Don Awalt:
So if independently we have a purchase in for Classic Commentaries on the Minor Prophets for $30, and we order this, should we cancel that order?

Yes, according to Kent here.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 4:25 PM

Mike Pettit:

I pulled the trigger at a mighty $117 as there is some stuff that I do not have that looks interesting (Godet and Campbell-Morgan) but nothing is downloading yet, there do appear to be some issues with this set.

Mike, I think you have the lowest I've seen so far.  I was under $300 for some good collections currently on my wishlist.

Posts 1132
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 5:11 PM

Looks like a ton of great commentaries! This looks way way better than a base package!

I didn't go for any of the classic commentaries, so I'll have to either pass, or do lots of saving for this one. Comes up at more than $2,000!

Posts 2314
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 6:18 PM

I am leaving for vacation and will not be able to review the commentaries I already own.  So hopefully the price will not go up until August.

Posts 1823
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 7:28 PM

i really don't know how would a normal person have the time to read all these with their current library.

watch out compulsive buyers...

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:09 PM

Well, after doing the math and reviewing the books this would add to my library I decided to go for it. It turns out that it adds 122 books for $293. I had physical copies of a number of these and there are several authors that I really have grown to appreciate over the years.

Thanks also for the reminder Kent to cancel my $30 order for the minor prophets. I felt a little weird doing this knowing that I could never get this price again but this deal seems to be much better.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8858
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 9:19 PM

Bruce Dunning:
It turns out that it adds 122 books for $293.

I guess I didn't count correctly. I was 139 resources which makes for an even better price per volume.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 11:24 PM

mike:

i really don't know how would a normal person have the time to read all these with their current library.

watch out compulsive buyers...

Indeed. Even compulsive buyers/readers would be put to the test to get through 1500+ volumes in their life.

The main benefit I believe these sorts of offers allow for is to feed your Logos 'database' with a huge amount of reference material to search on when you are looking for information on a specific topic, verse, etc.  To leverage it, you will need to be proficient at running searches and focused in your research, otherwise this will just get buried. You will also need to be careful to take into consideration more recent works which have had the benefit of new discoveries in language, archaeology, etc.

The question with benefit has to be weighed with cost. As this bundle consists of public domain material, is it worth it? Each person will need to weigh this up, but if you are on the fence, the CP deals and this current bundle price might tip the scales in the direction that it is useful at the given price point. For me, I am very reluctant to spend more than $2.00 per volume for a public domain book unless it is something really special. With this current offer, the balance of classic commentaries that I don't have is well within this range.  However, the total price tag is still a bit of a frog to swallow. 

That aside, what we have discussed on these forums before is whether or not there is a market for public domain materials at premium prices. Logos obviously thinks so because they will increase the price of this bundle by another $1,000 at some point in the next few weeks.  Looking at some of the individual classic commentary collections that I don't have, you can easily spend $5 - 10 a volume for some books.  Assuming once a book is produced and there are no royalties to pay, this could be a real revenue stream for Logos to help pay for the development of the software side of the house (which is free).  What will be interesting to see is whether the market will provide the volume.  I'm sure the Logos number crunchers have some models built on this. 

One thing is for sure (this may feed into the compulsive buyer syndrome), is that unless there is a huge sale or a deep discount in the future, this is probably the cheapest you will see it.

Posts 255
Sogol | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 18 2013 11:59 PM

I was about to go ahead and take advantage of this since my dynamic price is only about $350.

However, as I thought about it a bit, I did start to wonder whether there might be a potentially hidden downside to dynamic pricing.

My question about it is posted here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/72822.aspx

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 3:16 AM

mike:

If you can let me know which of the 1,500 will turn up and be helpful in my search results over the next ten years, then I'll make sure I only buy those volumes and skip the others Stick out tongue.

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 3:20 AM

Mark Barnes:

mike:

If you can let me know which of the 1,500 will turn up and be helpful in my search results over the next ten years, then I'll make sure I only buy those volumes and skip the others Stick out tongue.

Mark I think we have something in common. https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=bibliomania I have only scanned through it, but it is an interesting read.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 912
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 6:05 AM

Mark Barnes:

Let me know what searches you'll be making over the next ten years and I'll put a list of them together for you Big Smile

Posts 3165
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 6:42 AM

Ok bought into it, got 413 resources- the cost? $1.63 each- ok it turned out to be a good deal.

I bad make that 463 resources at $1.43 ea.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:10 AM

Wow I purchased mine yesterday morning, almost 30 hours ago, and still no unlock. The order is on my orders page.  I have gotten three emails from Customer Service referring to the backlog. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 8:31 AM

Don Awalt:

Wow I purchased mine yesterday morning, almost 30 hours ago, and still no unlock. The order is on my orders page.  I have gotten three emails from Customer Service referring to the backlog. 

Edited:

Mine has just started downloading 876MB.  (It now says 957MB 1.08GB but it includes Gary Everett's Study Notes on the Holy Scriptures.) I ordered yesterday morning and it has been on my order page since yesterday. I heard of the backlog by phone but received no emails. I wonder how long it will take to index. 

Edit #2: Indexing started 8:40 am Bellingham time.

Indexing FAILED. See http://community.logos.com/forums/t/72841.aspx

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:14 AM

Super Tramp:
Mine has just started downloading

Mine too! YAY!

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 19 2013 9:23 AM

What is the non dynamic price for this?

Page 3 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS