New Interpreter's Bible

Page 5 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 114 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:04 PM

Josh:

The fact that this has taken such a long time to reach 100% actually makes me wary about owning this resource. Why is it that most people have decided to pass up on this?

Personally I think that it is the cost compared to the perceived value.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:08 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Josh:

The fact that this has taken such a long time to reach 100% actually makes me wary about owning this resource. Why is it that most people have decided to pass up on this?

Personally I think that it is the cost compared to the perceived value.

That is interesting that you would say this since this is the pre-pub price. It's only going up from here.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:11 PM

Josh:

The very reason why so many people are desperate to see this resource in production are the exact same reasons why others do not have any interest in it. In the fine words of William Blake:

THE VISION OF CHRIST that thou dost see 

Is my vision’s greatest enemy. 

Thine has a great hook nose like thine; 

Mine has a snub nose like to mine. 

Thine is the Friend of all Mankind;          

Mine speaks in parables to the blind. 

Thine loves the same world that mine hates; 

Thy heaven doors are my hell gates.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 2:38 PM

This is just me personally, but i find the NIDB has less info than Anchor or ISBE, I know many people who think of it as the best dictionary out there.. I think it is good but Anchor is more in depth as far as I am concerned. I own NIDB in hard cover and am glad to have it. It usually gives me all the information I am looking for.

-Dan

Posts 476
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 3:35 PM

The Dictionary is 53% off and the Commentary is 20% off.  Hard sell on the commentary.  Wish Logos would drop the price a bit say to $300.  Yes that would that a huge chunk out of the numbers needed to get it into production, but I bet a lot more people would buy it.

I think $25/book is a good value, so thats where my $300 came from. 

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 5:26 PM

If Logos' production costs are to be lower than anticipated then I would really love to see the pre-pub price lowered too - not just to bless my own wallet but to attract more people to the NIB and get it into production.

Travis, I imagine that 1000s of people would jump at the chance to get NIB in Logos for $300 including the many who own and love the print edition yet hitherto have not ordered the Logos version because they can't justify nearly $500 for a set they already own

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 5:58 PM

Gordon Jones:
If Logos' production costs are to be lower than anticipated then I would really love to see the pre-pub price lowered too - not just to bless my own wallet but to attract more people to the NIB and get it into production.

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:02 PM

Don't think of these as 12 volumes; think of them as 24.  The content of each volume could easily fill two regular-sized books in other commentary series.  So, that's what -- $20 per volume?  :)

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 21 2014 6:05 PM

Paul Strickert:
Don't think of these as 12 volumes; think of them as 24.  The content of each volume could easily fill two regular-sized books in other commentary series.

That is true. It is 11,591 pages. That is almost 1,000 pages per volume.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 4:30 AM

Dan Francis:
But I still won't stop trying to get more people to sign up till it ships... lol
Yes

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 22 2014 3:45 PM

I noticed one person state that they personally prefers older scholarship, and I will not deny the vast wisdom that comes to us from scholars in past years. Why I like the New Interpreter's Bible is for me I find it is spiritually nourishing as I use it for my devotional studies, I find it has a good base level of comment on critical/historical issues and the reflections have great theological insight, to me. This is the only commentary of it's type (critical with reflections) out there that covers the whole Alexandrian cannon used by the  catholic church. Anchor Bible offers a fine critical analysis on the apocryphal books but it usually very shy on theological reflections and even a few of the anchor volumes are very slim on the critical notes. I find nothing available historically that is close to what NIB is for me. 

-Dan

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 7:00 AM

The news about the NIDB is good news, indeed! That said, I've seen items that are "under contract" languish there for a very, very long time. (NA28 w/ Apparatus, anyone?) Here's hoping Logos doesn't take nearly as long with this!

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 7:14 AM

Adam Rao:

The news about the NIDB is good news, indeed! That said, I've seen items that are "under contract" languish there for a very, very long time. (NA28 w/ Apparatus, anyone?) Here's hoping Logos doesn't take nearly as long with this!

Quite true, but I hope this means any issues between Cokesbury and Logos regarding publication, etc., have been settled.  And it will not be too long before NIDB and NIB Commentary are both available in Logos.  In the past, my conversations with Cokesbury editors through email have made me fear that they were not especially interested in having their material published by Logos.  They preferred the model of publishing their own software version.  But I am not so sure that has worked out to be as successful as they hoped.  That is why I hope this change in status of the NIBD indicates that Cokesbury is now open to having Logos publish their material. 

I even hope that eventually we will see the Bicentennial Edition of Wesley's works in Logos, as it is the only critical edition edited by modern Wesleyan scholars.  Probably just a dream, but I like to dream.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 24 2014 10:31 AM

Michael Childs:
They preferred the model of publishing their own software version.  But I am not so sure that has worked out to be as successful as they hoped. 

The main problem is their self publishing was based on folio which is a decent database software... not it is true that the dictionary was published as internet explore type thing but it was a massive fail in my mind and I think in Abingdon's mind too since the registration card that came with it included a survey on which Bible software you use.It is just sad it has taken so long for Abingdon and Logos to get contracts hammered out. It is nice that Olivetree got all of the abingdon New Interpreter products but the 12 volume set, but unfortunately the lack of citation capacity makes it less desirable for heavy usage (that being said had the NIB 12 volume came there it would have been enough for me). God willing, hopefully by June we will have both the dictionary and the 12 volumes in Logos.

-Dan

PS: Michael I do hope you get your Bicentennial Edition of Wesley's works in Logos.... just painfully slow how long it takes to get things into logos sometimes. Heck we have been waiting long for the final volume of Job longer than anything else (taking about length of time under contract, for a work that has been published).

-Dan

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 26 2014 2:37 PM

Found this article and thought I would share it....

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Abingdon Press completes 'New Interpreter's Bible'

6/25/2002

By Kathy Gilbert

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - A 12-year project will draw to an end for Abingdon Press when it releases the 12th and final volume of The New Interpreter's Bible in July. 

Some 97 authors from 21 Christian communions have been involved in preparing this collection of commentaries on all the books of the Bible and the Apocrypha.

"The New Interpreter's Bible is probably not best thought about as being like a study Bible," said Harriett Olson, executive with the United Methodist Publishing House. "It is a whole shelf full of the best scholarly resource we could gather about the biblical text (the commentary sections), combined with discussions dealing with ways that the text can be viewed or applied in our contemporary settings (the reflection sections)."

Each of the biblical books is introduced by an article dealing with that book and its setting, as well as general articles on the different schools of biblical interpretation and the varied types of writings included in the biblical cannon. The entire Bible is reprinted in the New Revised Standard Version and the New International Version. Commentary and reflections on the Scriptures appear in each section.

"It contains a tremendous amount of material in a very accessible format," Olson said.

"The New Interpreter's Bible represents our strong and abiding commitment to find the intersection where deep faithfulness, superior scholarship, and practical service in support of the witness of the church all meet," said Neil M. Alexander, president and publisher at the Publishing House. The book will enliven the church's engagement with Scripture while fostering "vital teaching and preaching in congregations," he said.

Leander E. Keck, Winkley Professor of Biblical Theology Emeritus at Yale Divinity School, served as convener of the editorial board and senior New Testament editor. The project was launched in 1990, and the first volume was released in 1994.

"From the start, the aim of the NIB has been to make the best insights of current biblical scholarship accessible to a wide circle of readers without talking down to them," Keck said. Contributors have included scholars, pastors and lay people representing diverse traditions - Protestantism, Catholicism and Judaism - and roles in church life. The roster of writers includes 21 women, and is racially and ethnically diverse: six African Americans, five Hispanic Americans, a Native American and three Asian Americans.

Introductions to each biblical book address historical, sociocultural, and literary and theological issues.

"The NIB presents the user with the diversity of approaches and theological perspectives that characterizes biblical study today," Keck said. "If some consider this diversity to be a weakness, others will find it a strength because it invites the users to participate in the conversation about the meaning of Scripture in our time."

"The greatest virtue of the New Interpreter's Bible is that, unlike most commentaries, it witnesses to the indissoluble link between biblical study and preaching," said Richard Lischer, James T. and Alice Mead Cleland Professor of Preaching at Duke Divinity School. "The New Testament was the church's first sustained sermon, and it was meant to be preached in succeeding generations. The Scripture was never intended to be segregated from its practical and liturgical use among communities of faith. That is what makes it the lively word. The New Interpreter's Bible confirms that the most searching biblical scholarship can be done with reverence. Such scholarship does not inhibit proclamation but energizes it."

Though the new Bible has been well received by scholars and is being used in seminaries and other settings, it is intended primarily for the church pastor or teacher, Olson said. 

"The commitment to participating ecumenically in biblical scholarship and making the best of that work available to the church is deep in our United Methodist DNA," she said. "United Methodists have a deep hunger to know more about the Bible and a desire to interpret it well - our work at the United Methodist Publishing House and Abingdon Press is to under gird that work."

"In the past dozen years, the United Methodist Publishing House has committed major resources to enhance the study of Scripture in the churches - the NIB and the Disciple Bible Study Program. This commitment should not be taken for granted; it is a major achievement that will bear fruit for years to come," Keck said.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

-Dan

http://sdarchives.umc.org/umns/news_synd.asp?ptid=&story=%7B41FD8C17-2054-4314-B90A-B5219F711682%7D&mid=2912

Posts 520
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 27 2014 7:19 PM

I still don't understand why Logos isn't promoting this resource more, and I'm surprised that it hasn't lowered the asking price to get it into production. It's an issue of supply and demand - lower the price and demand will rise, and I am certain that demand would suffice to cover the costs to get the NIB into production. At least there has been some movement in recent months. Patience, patience, patience. :-)

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 28 2014 4:03 AM

Gordon Jones:

I still don't understand why Logos isn't promoting this resource more, and I'm surprised that it hasn't lowered the asking price to get it into production. It's an issue of supply and demand - lower the price and demand will rise, and I am certain that demand would suffice to cover the costs to get the NIB into production. At least there has been some movement in recent months. Patience, patience, patience. :-)

Out of the 800+ prepubs, this is listed as the 27th most popular prepub.  Out of the top 120 prepubs, only six are not under development, and this resource is the second one listed that is 'almost there.'

Because so many people have ordered this resource and it is still a ways from going into development, I believe we are going to be waiting a long time because due to the fact that Logos needs to expand its customer base so that more people will order this wonderful resource.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 5:14 PM

New Interpreter's Bible (12 vols.) may make it under contract soon. I hope everyone interested gets in on the PrePub price.

-Dan

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 6 2014 6:16 PM

http://evernote.com/pub/danielwilliamfrancis/nibsamples has samples from every book of the Bible.

-Dan

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 7 2014 7:28 AM

Dan Francis:

http://evernote.com/pub/danielwilliamfrancis/nibsamples has samples from every book of the Bible.

-Dan

I'm getting a page not found error.

Page 5 of 6 (115 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS