Question on blog post - SBLGNT update

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 23 2013 7:44 AM

I saw the blog post on the updates to the SBLGNT apparatus today:

http://blog.logos.com/2013/07/updates-to-the-sblgnt-apparatus/

I have a question - it says:

"In addition, we made a change to the way the resource functions in Logos. With the original edition, when you clicked an apparatus link, you would be brought to the apparatus resource. In the new version of SBLGNT, the apparatus note is a popup note."

So per the example, if I am looking at

15 ἀνθρώποις NA28 ] + τὰ παραπτώματα αὐτῶν WH Treg NIV RP

and now I hover or click on "WH", I get the exact same box in all entries in the apparatus, as far as I can see, with nothing in them a hotlink to the resource either:

Formerly, I could click on the "WH" link and be taken to the resource itself. Is this true or am I missing something? Doesn't this make things harder now, that I have to bring up the resource myself, or is there a quicker way I should now jump to a particular resource if I want to look at the changes in that manuscript in context? And what purpose do the hotlinks provide now, since what it says is repeated in every popup, and it's just the biblio information (example - the WH popup looks like the above every time I have hovered over it anywhere)?

Thanks - I hope I am missing something here!

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 23 2013 5:59 PM

Bump! Help please! This makes no sense to me the way it works. What am I missing?

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 4:22 AM

OK, let me re-phrase this another way....imagine this scenario....

Someone has the SBLGNT up. By its side and linked they have the SBLGNT Apparatus up. Both were updated on Monday. The two are linked, so that the reader is looking at the greek in SBLGNT, and seeing what differences the other manuscripts offer.

The reader sees a difference in another manuscript that intrigues them. Formerly, one clicked on the name of the manuscript, and that manuscript popped up. Reader reviews the change, closes that manuscript. Now, clicking the manuscript name just presents a popup of a bio of the manuscript (which anyone using the Apparatus for more than 5 minutes already knows.) So how does one easily get to the manuscript they want to see, to review the manuscript difference in context, without opening the Library, typing in the name? Or having icons on the toolbar to click? What purpose do the popups in the Apparatus now serve?

I hope someone can address this - I really don't know how to use these resources now given the change in the popup referenced in the blog posting. What is the intended use/workflow supposed to be?

Posts 1166
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 5:53 AM

Hi Don, I can confirm the behavior you describe in the updated version. Testing the same modules before update on my Win installation I find that clicking on the manuscript abbreviation brings up the pop up, not the manuscript. So I don't know if anything has changed. If you are making a suggestion, I like it.

Posts 6385
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 6:56 AM

Have to admit John caught me by surprise. I suppose it demonstrates the newer arrangement is more useful (NA28, etc compared to NIV which I don't use).

I suppose the absence of a click thru was due to the freeby outside of Logos. It's a Kindle book!

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:07 AM

Thanks for the rpelies. I could have sworn I used the apparatus to jump to the manuscripts, but maybe I was using another apparatus. Isn't what I described what the blog says it used to do? -->

"With the original edition, when you clicked an apparatus link, you would be brought to the apparatus resource. In the new version of SBLGNT, the apparatus note is a popup note."

Posts 465
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:53 AM

Hi Don

Sorry, Don, I've been away from a keyboard. I slipped into the office today to try and answer your questions, and fix whatever might need fixing here.

Don Awalt:
"With the original edition, when you clicked an apparatus link, you would be brought to the apparatus resource. In the new version of SBLGNT, the apparatus note is a popup note."

Before the revision, the SBLGNT text used a direct link to the SBLGNTAPP resource, which would suck the text of that external resource into a popup in the SBLGNT — instead of invoke a popup note, where "popup" is to a specific popup article within the SBLGNT resource. So, "apparatus resource" in the above refers to SBLGNTAPP.logos4.

In that apparatus resource, the "WH" (et. al.) links were to popups giving a bibliographic citation of the edition, they were not to references.

The change pretty much puts the same exact data into a popup in the resource. This means that one can, for instance, set up the display (desktop or mobile) to have the notes flow on the bottom of the display page. It also means in the mobile versions, when one presses upon an apparatus indicator, it now functions as a popup — whereas before, it would function as a jump to alternate resource, removing the SBLGNT from view and jumping to the apparatus. This particular action on the mobile platform of jumping from SBLGNT to the actual Apparatus resource, removing all context of the GNT, has vexed many a user (myself included). 

Don, hopefully this helps explain this particular change in a little more detail. If not, please, respond or send me an email (first name at logos dot com) and we can try to figure it out there.

- Rick

Rick Brannan
Logos Bible Software http://logos.com
Core Texts Lead, Content Innovation

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 4:50 PM

Hi Rick, I understand what you are saying - I see how it flows from the SBLGNT, I can see where the differences are in other manuscripts through the apparatus indicators. I do have two remaining questions:

1. What did you mean by "This means that one can, for instance, set up the display (desktop or mobile) to have the notes flow on the bottom of the display page" when referring to the desktop version? The word "notes" is unclear to me.

2. Is there a way, if I detect something interesting in the SBLGNT apparatus indicators, to easily jump to one of the the manuscripts - for example, I see something in Mark 10:12 in NA28 and I want to hop there quickly - or is it up to me to manually bring up the NA28 (and then manually link them together), for example?

Thanks!

Posts 465
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:49 AM

Hi Don

Don Awalt:
1. What did you mean by "This means that one can, for instance, set up the display (desktop or mobile) to have the notes flow on the bottom of the display page" when referring to the desktop version? The word "notes" is unclear to me.

By "notes" I mean the apparatus entries. [begin edit] Here's a pic I tweeted yesterday from my iPhone showing what I mean: https://twitter.com/RickBrannan/status/361568512155742208 [end edit]

Don Awalt:
2. Is there a way, if I detect something interesting in the SBLGNT apparatus indicators, to easily jump to one of the the manuscripts - for example, I see something in Mark 10:12 in NA28 and I want to hop there quickly - or is it up to me to manually bring up the NA28 (and then manually link them together), for example?

There is nothing automatic to jump to a particular edition. If this is an important function, I'd recommend setting up a desktop with available GNTs linked.

Rick Brannan
Logos Bible Software http://logos.com
Core Texts Lead, Content Innovation

Posts 1227
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 1:28 PM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
There is nothing automatic to jump to a particular edition. If this is an important function, I'd recommend setting up a desktop with available GNTs linked.

That's what I'll do, thanks Rick!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS