Word by word exegetical guide

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 76
Paul Grieve | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:27 AM

I'm using Logos 5 and wonder if it is possible to make the program report have the information in an non-expanded form. It would be convenient if one could start like this and only expand the verses as required.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:39 AM

There are a number of ways of doing this - personal layouts and so forth - the simplest way to do what you want though is to close that section, Exegetical Guide | Word by Word and close Logos. Next time you open Logos and then open the Exegetical Guide the Word by Word section will be closed.

Of course also it is a good idea to not plug in a wide scripture range into the Word by Word section because Logos will try to expand it all. Most people put in a minimal scripture range of just the verses they are interested in.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 10212
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:54 AM

Excellent idea Paul.  Default at verse level to last used (some presumably would want all displayed and not have to open each one).

Posts 76
Paul Grieve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 6:56 AM

Yes, Denise. It should be possible to change the default setting. Closing the section does not help because the next time you open it, everything is expanded again. I can't find anywhere in the program settings to make the changes

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:11 AM

If I close that section the next time I bring up an Exegetical Guide either from the menu or by right-clicking on a verse (see screenshot - you may have to click on it, not displaying inline in forum software) it comes up collapsed.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 76
Paul Grieve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:21 AM

Thanks, Patrick. Yes, the Word by Word section is collapsed, but when you open it all the verses will be expanded. This is the problem.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:33 AM

Ahh... sorry I misunderstood you, thought you were referring to the whole section. Yes I concur that for a multi-verse passage it just expands out each verse - which becomes a bit of an issue if you mistakenly have something like a whole chapter in the passage entry box.

This would be something that would be good to see in Logos - you can perhaps suggest it to them. They have good better in recent times with aspects  like this in Logos, for example searches used to run and return details for every hit, now query runs and only returns details for first page. Much more sensible.

Your thought/requirement is also valid. That's one reason why I have a custom layout with a standard starting passage where Exegetical Guide is only one verse. 

Posts 78
Christopher Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:33 AM

I agree it would be very useful to have a way of handling this. A default would be nice, but even an option to "Collapse all/Expand All" would be very useful as well.  I often want to start with the summary info first, then drill down only when I am ready.

Posts 76
Paul Grieve | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:41 AM

Yes, Christopher, an Expand All/Collapse All would do the trick nicely.

Can someone tell me how to suggest this to Logos?

Posts 25030
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 4:22 AM

Paul Grieve:

Yes, Christopher, an Expand All/Collapse All would do the trick nicely.

Can someone tell me how to suggest this to Logos?

Try UserVoice

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 76
Paul Grieve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 4:08 AM

Thanks, Dave. Much appreciated. I have posted my suggestion.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS