Posts 20
GMCI | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:06 AM

Thank you kindly, Good Neighbour!            *smile*                        

יהוה שָׁלוֹם

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2633
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 7:40 AM

A Short History of Bible Translation
Chapter 1: Translation Comparison
Chapter 2: The English Standard Version (ESV)
Chapter 3: The New International Version (NIV)
Chapter 4: The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Chapter 5: The New Living Translation (NLT)

Not a very comprehensive book [imho]

Posts 9346
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:18 AM

David Ames:

A Short History of Bible Translation
Chapter 1: Translation Comparison
Chapter 2: The English Standard Version (ESV)
Chapter 3: The New International Version (NIV)
Chapter 4: The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Chapter 5: The New Living Translation (NLT)

Not a very comprehensive book [imho]

We must remember that this is a Vyrso book. Here is what the stated purpose is - "In this book, Douglas Moo, Wayne Grudem, Ray Clendenen, and Philip Comfort make a case for the Bible translation he represents: the NIV 2011 (New International Version), the ESV (English Standard Version), the HCSB (Holman Christian Standard Bible), and the NLT (New Living Translation) respectively."

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2845
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:22 AM

Thanks

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 510
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:43 AM

Thanks for pointing this out.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 29 2013 9:56 AM

Sleiman:

Not a topic for discussion, but the title of a free Vyrso book offered today:

http://vyrso.com/product/26170/which-bible-translation-should-i-use 

Yes thanks for pointing this out. Just having scanned and read some portions up to chapter 2, it looks interesting and well balanced. There don't seem to be hints of fear or judgment about differences in translation philosophies, or the use of critical texts. For that I'm very grateful and encouraged. The reader can then make up his/her own mind about these translations. My only disappointment is that Grudem wrote the article on the ESV. His view on gender-neutral language and complementarianism is overly zealous, IMHO (nothing new). I think that does a disservice to the ESV.

I've not read further, so I won't comment on any other 'overly zealous' remarks.

One other thing. I noticed this in the "To the Reader" section: "You will notice QR codes inserted at various points throughout these chapters. By scanning the code with your mobile device, you can view a video clip of that contributor addressing the biblical passage under discussion." I found one of those later in the text. Why not make them clickable, rather than just scannable? One wonders how someone readhing this on a mobile divice can scan the code with their mobile device - I don't have one, so I can only assume this is not possible. (Yes I know I can go to the website given in the next sentence.)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS