Can one see what is not part of a Collection in the Library?

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:35 AM

Is there anyway to see in the Library the books that are not part of a collection. I would like to verify that I am getting all the right books in the collection and see if any books are not making it into a collection. I wish the heading had an option for collections.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 8:51 AM

Wayne:

Is there anyway to see in the Library the books that are not part of a collection. I would like to verify that I am getting all the right books in the collection and see if any books are not making it into a collection. I wish the heading had an option for collections.

you could make a collection that includes all books (e.g. with rule rating:>=0 ) and pull all your existing collections into the exclude part, which leaves those books that are not in a collection. You'd need to update this collection whenever you make a new one.

I did such e.g. for commentaries or for "leftovers" from the theological leanings collection exercises.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 9:38 AM

Hi Wayne,

I haven't tried this yet, but I have theorized you could view the base collection, select all of its resources and apply a tag to them. Then you could create another collection with the rule ANDNOT mytag:the tag.

If you're doing this to organize your library and know which books you've viewed/categorized, you could then tag them as you go through with the same tag.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 3:18 PM

Wayne:
Is there anyway to see ... the books that are not part of a collection

I can't think of a better method than either of the two mentioned here, but I did find this an interesting deed (I used NBMick's method).  It was slow, considering that I have 154 collections, so dragging them was a bit tedious.  But I found over 400 resources not in a collection, and some of them should have been...which means I'm re-writing quite a few collection rules.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 30 2013 11:32 PM

This is what I had started doing last year. I finished it last night. I added a couple of collections and had a rewrite some rules in current collections. I am hoping that some day "collections"  becomes one of the headers in the library list.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 4:34 AM

Wayne:
I would like to verify that I am getting all the right books in the collection and see if any books are not making it into a collection.

When working on a collection rule, personally like to search library for topical term(s) that includes search of resource descriptions.  Followed by analyzing results, especially subjects and titles for collection rule modification.

Wayne:
I wish the heading had an option for collections.

+1 Yes plus Thankful for Library now showing collection(s) for each resource.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 7:20 AM

Wayne:
I am hoping that some day "collections"  becomes one of the headers in the library list.

This suggestion has been made. Because the rules to create a collection are dynamic, there might be significant computational times to determine all the collections for all books in your library when opening up Library. Perhaps caching the info locally and triggering a recompile when a new book or collection is added or a collection's rules are changed could be programmed in. I would like to see this feature if it could be implemented so as not to create drag while using Library.

In L3 we had a report we could run that showed every book in our Library with the collection(s) that book was in. I found that helpful. We now have a Bibliography Report, perhaps we could get a Collections Report.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 2:25 PM

Wayne:

I am hoping that some day "collections"  becomes one of the headers in the library list.

Hey Wayne, did you know you can filter your Library by Collections in Logos 5. Check out this article: http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/library#collections

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support

Posts 24692
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 4:23 PM

I think Wayne wants to see a list of collections in a column for each resource.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 31 2013 8:57 PM

I would like to see a list of collections in a column for each resource.

I made a collection of all resources that are in another collection. It left me with a couple hundred resources. I was able to get the list down to 60 by adding a few collections, redoing some collection rules and in some cases adding tags to books. There were a handful of books with no tags.

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 8:00 AM

Wayne:
I would like to see a list of collections in a column for each resource.

Yes Yes

Add me to the list who want this, as well.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 10:24 AM

Hey guys,

This sounds like a popular request, and I suspect it is possible. I'd strongly recommend suggesting and drumming up some support for it at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 10:57 AM

Mike (Tech Support):
This sounds like a popular request, and I suspect it is possible. I'd strongly recommend suggesting and drumming up some support for it at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5.

Actually, it was already there, and among the top 5: Ability to filter the library by collections. But I see now that Bradley has marked it as Finished and thereby removed it.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 11:19 AM

fgh:
Actually, it was already there, and among the top 5: Ability to filter the library by collections.

That's not the same thing that is being asked for. We want a column in the Library that shows which collections any given resource is in.

I'd start the uservoice topic, but I have no votes left.

Posts 7943
LogosEmployee

We're aware of this request and have it tracked as a potential future feature in our bug database; you don't need to create a new UserVoice suggestion for it.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 8:14 PM

Wayne:
Is there anyway to see in the Library the books that are not part of a collection.

One idea is using ratings so library filter myrating:0 has resource(s) not in any collection.

Initially used library filter mytag:* to find all resources that have a tag, then set unrated resources to 2 stars.  Every tag is a collection.

Then selected a collection and assigned ratings to every resource.

When new resource(s) are added, need to assign rating, especially for ones added to collection(s) by dynamic rule matching.

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Ratings

Caution: clicking Ratings column to sort resources by ratings includes community ratings (even when show community ratings is set to No).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 8:24 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Then selected a collection and assigned ratings to every resource.

Using myrating:0 to filter collection should show zero resources when all resources have a rating.

Can use myrating:>0 to show all rated resources in a collection.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1886
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 6:32 AM

It's occurred to me that the Collections filter in the Library view would be even more useful if you could show the inverse. For example, show me all my resources which are not in my "Textual Criticism" collection. Then the expression filter would allow me to further filter that list of resources not in the collection. That seems like it would be the most helpful way to find resources that are not in a collection based on the collection's rules but should be based on inspection.

A checkbox next to the Collections filter dropdown could allow it to be treated with this "inverse" behavior.

Donnie

Posts 24692
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 6:01 AM

Donnie Hale:
It's occurred to me that the Collections filter in the Library view would be even more useful if you could show the inverse.

The inverse of one collection would not be really useful e.g. if you have 50 resources in your TC collection what is the advantage of showing 2000 that don't belong, especially if they are a mixture of monographs, encyclopedias and commentaries? You want to vary the existing rules in such a collection, but if based on a mytag value you probably want to examine new resources (rating:0?).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 9:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
... examine new resources (rating:0?).

Personally would use myrating:0 for new resources since rating:0 also needs the community rating to be 0 for a match.

After rating resources in collections, had a tax day reminder since 1,040 match myrating:0 so plan to sort by subject and create more collections.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS