Interesting repercussions for Logos?

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 4:01 AM

MJ. Smith:

In response [...]

Phil Gons:

Please abide by the following guidelines as you interact on our forums.

1. Please keep your discussions focused on Logos Bible Software: our software, products, websites, company, tools, etc.

In response to the above... if one is talking about 'the cloud' & privacy as it relates to Logos, it's products and website(s) then that is fully within the guidelines of the forums.

Actually, even if it was not explicitly listed in the forum guidelines, Logos cannot 'opt out' of any discussion and/or liability regarding privacy and/or user rights' simply because it may say it wants to.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 232
Philip Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 4:58 AM

Someone suggested that this is more like the eye of Sauron than 1984. I forget who said it.

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 5:07 AM

Philip Larson:

Someone suggested that this is more like the eye of Sauron than 1984. I forget who said it.

Does that mean then that 'Middle Earth' = Purgatory?!? Wink

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 26515
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:39 PM

Patrick S.:
if one is talking about 'the cloud' & privacy as it relates to Logos, it's products and website(s) then that is fully within the guidelines of the forums.

If is the kicker here ... read each post individually and see if it is explicitly discussing Logos and the cloud.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 12:45 PM

MJ. Smith:

Patrick S.:
if one is talking about 'the cloud' & privacy as it relates to Logos, it's products and website(s) then that is fully within the guidelines of the forums.

If is the kicker here ... read each post individually and see if it is explicitly discussing Logos and the cloud.

The general discussion was about 'the cloud', 'snooping' and therefore privacy. You quoted the 'forum rules' as if the discussion didn't fit/abide to those forum rules and I wasn't going to let that slide. Simple as that.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 1 2013 1:33 PM

Since we're no longer on Logos topics, this one is good:

http://cnnmoneytech.tumblr.com/post/54348171393/immersion-a-do-it-yourself-privacy-invasion-metadata 

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 1:23 AM

Denise:

Since we're no longer on Logos topics, this one is good:

Actually, seriously, I hadn't gone off the topic of privacy/security/'cloud' data and Logos. I have raised concerns before about the seeming indifference Logos has (had?) regarding privacy.

From the "Terms and conditions" of the Logos iOS app:

"Logos reserves the right to anonymously track and report users’ activity inside of the Application..."

What do I object to about this? More the fact that Logos believes it has the (unrestricted) right to gather whatever data it wants, then the fact that it wants to aggregate data to, as it says in the next phrase in the T&C:

"...so that we may better understand how users use application and how best to deliver future enhancements."

Now that goal may be OK — but the end does not justify the means. Just because they can, does not mean they should — especially without clear, informed, prior user consent.

With respect to privacy and openness, I believe Logos should, as a Christian company, set itself a very high standard. Phil. 2:15

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS