Logos Tagging

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 1 2013 9:58 PM

Just opened Cult and Character: Purification Offerings, Day of Atonement, and Theodicy and noticed that in the Abbreviations some works that are in Logos are not hyper-linked.

Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society

Review and Expositor

Word Biblical Commentary

Among others..

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3157
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:05 PM

Hi Lynden, Can you provide a page number (or page numbers) that demonstrate the error? 

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:35 PM

Page XV reference works.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:46 PM

Lynden Williams:

Just opened Cult and Character: Purification Offerings, Day of Atonement, and Theodicy and noticed that in the Abbreviations some works that are in Logos are not hyper-linked.

Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society

Review and Expositor

Word Biblical Commentary

Among others..

Lynden, those examples which you have given are all multi-volume works. Which volume should the link open? I can understand the decision not to open a random volume when it's a series that could refer to any of several volumes. Do you have some examples of single volume titles which should be linked but aren't?

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:57 PM

Rosie you may have a point. I would think that they would link (in the case of AB) it would open to Genesis, or as int he case of Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, or the Babylonian Talmud one volume.

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 3:59 PM

New Revised Standard Version is another example.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 5:18 PM

Lynden Williams:

Rosie you may have a point. I would think that they would link (in the case of AB) it would open to Genesis, or as int he case of Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, or the Babylonian Talmud one volume.

OK, but it's just the list of abbreviations. It's not exactly the sort of place where people need to go looking up what the author was referring to at that point in the book.

I suppose one could ask why they bother putting in the link for the journal Bibliotheca Sacra, then. Which, by the way, links to some unknown generic volume of it (LLS:BIBSAC). I have every volume of BibSac in my Library, but when I click on the link in Cult and Character on p. xv, it says I don't have a license to view this resource:

Incidentally, I do have Volume 112, Issue 445 which has that article "Premillennialism and the Tribulation" in it:

The Logos ID of this volume is LLS:gs_bsac_112, not LLS:BIBSAC which that link tried to jump to. Maybe that's the problem. You can't open a generic volume of a journal. You have to pick a volume. And in this case it would indeed be totally random and silly to open any of them from the abbreviation list.

Posts 3157
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:13 AM

Rosie Perera:
I suppose one could ask why they bother putting in the link for the journal Bibliotheca Sacra, then. Which, by the way, links to some unknown generic volume of it (LLS:BIBSAC). I have every volume of BibSac in my Library, but when I click on the link in Cult and Character on p. xv, it says I don't have a license to view this resource:

It opens this one: 

LLS:12.40.1

2006-03-23T21:13:59Z

bibsac.lbxlls

Rosie, if you type LLS:12.40.1 does it provide the title of that book? I can look into why we would be linking to that older version only. In regards to elsewhere, as in the cases that Lynden provided, I'll ask why we are linking to some and not other resources that we have in our catalog. 

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:25 AM

Thanks Tommy.

Posts 1090
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:54 AM

Lynden,

As Rosie mentioned we don't tag generic references to multi-volume works in the abbreviation page.

As for the other cases you mentioned such as the Babylonian Talmud, Josephus, and the NRSV we did not tag these either because in cases like these, there are multiple editions of the Talmud, Josephus, and even the NRSV within our library. It wouldn't be clear which one to prefer.

Rosie,

I'm not sure why BSac was tagged in the abbreviation list. For the reasons I gave above, it should not have been tagged. It was a mistake on our part.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Kyle

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 9:57 AM

Thanks for the clarification Kyle.

Posts 18818
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 1:01 PM

Tommy Ball:

Rosie Perera:

It opens this one: 

LLS:12.40.1

2006-03-23T21:13:59Z

bibsac.lbxlls

Rosie, if you type LLS:12.40.1 does it provide the title of that book? I can look into why we would be linking to that older version only.

Nope, it just offers to search for LLS:12.40.1:

I do not have a bibsac.lbxlls in my Resources folder.

Posts 3157
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:23 PM

Thanks Rose. Kyle cleared up everything I think. The link that was erroneously present for the Bib Sac was directing to the older version of that resource.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 4:34 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:
As for the other cases you mentioned such as the Babylonian Talmud, Josephus, and the NRSV we did not tag these either because in cases like these, there are multiple editions of the Talmud, Josephus, and even the NRSV within our library. It wouldn't be clear which one to prefer.

Isn't that what datatypes and prioritization is for?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS