It's here - Fathers of the Church

Page 2 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 94 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 6:21 PM

Ken thank you! That was extremely helpful. Also thanks to MJ, Fr Devin and fgh. Indeed, a comparison chart with the other Logos Patristic works will be also utterly helpful!

Steve:
Fr. Devin, Thank you for your ministry.  Please know that we pray for you and your service to our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus.
Yes

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 6:50 PM

fgh:
I wonder if anyone has made a chart of what writings are available in which series.

fgh, I started to, but I ran into some difficulty actually comparing the contents of each author in each series. Many times the titles, and even author names, are different for whatever reason, and not having the volumes on hand at home made it difficult to go back and forth with them all to make sure everything is accurate.

Maybe one of these days I'll get the motivation to complete it, as I have access to both sets in the same library, but probably not for awhile!

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 7:35 PM

Super Tramp:
Ramen noodles, mac & cheese, hot dogs, gruel, nail soup, Pablum.........electricity?

Come on ST. Do all those kids really need to eat everyday?

Posts 1128
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 8:31 PM

Hopefully this set will be split up into indicidual volumes! I'm not able to read everything in this huge set, but there are many I would purchase individually!

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 9:48 PM

Sadly the 30 volumes from Augustine excludes the vast expositions on Psalms.

Posts 26108
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 10:07 PM

The series is still in progress - there's always hope.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 496
Greg Masone | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 2 2013 10:51 PM

Randy Lane:

Here's to hoping New City Press's Works of Augustine make it into Logos soon!

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 8:16 AM

Greg Masone:

Randy Lane:

Here's to hoping New City Press's Works of Augustine make it into Logos soon!

Amen!

I think I've made or seconded that request/hope a few times over the years.

Speaking of which, I would welcome observations/comments from any forum readers that have sampled or even fully read all or a large portion of the first volume of the City of God translation in that series, which was release in 2012. Particularly interesting would be any opinions regarding how well the translation stacks up against other/older translations.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:00 PM

Bump.

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:06 PM

I would love it!  But the simple truth is that I cannot possibly afford it right now.  One day, hopefully.  Angel

Glad it is available in Logos.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:21 PM

Michael Childs:
I would love it!

Same here, but it's way to expensive. Im still saving to get enough for ACCS.Stick out tongue

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 12:30 PM

fgh:
I wonder if anyone has made a chart of what writings are available in which series.
From Augustine through the Ages, I could filter out the following works by St. Augustine that are included in the Fathers of the Church Series but NOT found in the ECF series:

Latin Titles English Titles In Volume
Contra Academicos Against the Skeptics 1
De adulterinis conjugiis On Adulterous Marriages 27
De agone christiano On the Christian Struggle 2
De animae quantitate On the Greatness of the Soul 2
De beata vita On the Happy Life 1
De diversis quaestionibus octoginta tribus On Eighty-Three Varied Questions 70
De divinatione daemonum On the Divination of Demons 27
De octo Dulcitii quaestionibus On Eight Questions, from Dulcitius 16
De fide et operibus On Faith and Works 27
De Genesi ad litteram imperfectus liber On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, an Unfinished Book 84
De Genesi adversus Manicheos On Genesis, against the Manichees 84
De gratia Testamenti Novi (ep. 140) On the Grace of the New Testament (Letter 140) 20
De immortalitate animae On the Immortality of the Soul 2
Ad inquistiones Januarii (ep. 54–55) Responses to Januarius (Letters 54–55) 12
Contra Julianum Against Julian 35
De mendacio On Lying 16
De musica On Music 2
De ordine On Order 1
De origine animae (ep. 166) On the Origin of the Soul (Letter 166) 30
De praesentia Dei (ep. 187) On the Presence of God (Letter 187) 30
Quaestiones expositae contra paganos VI (ep. 102) Six Questions against Pagans 18
Retractationes Reconsiderations 60
Sermones Sermons 81
De symbolo ad catechumenos On the Creed, to Catechumens 27
De utilitate jejunii On the Advantage of Fasting 16
De videndo Deo (ep. 147) On Seeing God (Letter 147) 20
Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:07 PM

I wont give that much for it. Was not happy with what i receives in Verbum either, still wont search for catholic terms-hello.

Have to stick with trees on this one.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 6:00 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Have to stick with trees on this one
A perfectly fine decision. I'm still on the fence myself. It is certainly a lot of money.

Posts 44
Peter Keay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:50 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:

still wont search for catholic terms-hello.

Curious, what do you mean?

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:19 AM

MJ. Smith:

Ships in two weeks.

Pad your wallets.

Get ready to read all 40,000+ pages.

I honestly think this will be some of the best Logos $$$$ (4 $ signs intended) I spend ever.

Sad though that the much smaller Jonathon Edwards set has been under development for many more months, perhaps over a year, longer than this and yet we have no shipping date for Edwards yet. I expected Edwards sooner than this since the online digital version already exists.

Posts 18643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:28 AM

Randy Lane:

Ships in two weeks.

Pad your wallets.

Oh my! Thanks for the heads up. Good thing I just paid off more than my last statement balance on my credit card (to cover charges since the statement came out).

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:51 AM

Randy Lane:

Ships in two weeks.

Pad your wallets.

Thank you for the alert. It looks like I've almost run out of time to save seventeen hundred CAN$. Oh well. If you have it, don't miss the opportunity!

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:08 AM

Randy Lane:
Ships in two weeks.

Logos: I'm glad it's ready to ship -- but two weeks' notice for a $1,559.95 resource? Really? I doubt I'm the only one who finds that very inconsiderate to your customers, and I suspect it will also be rather detrimental for your bottom line. I imagine you will get quite a few cancellations and lose quite a few last minute orders. Lots of people can't come up with that kind of money in two weeks, least of all just before the summer vacations. "Sorry kids, I just cancelled our trip to Xyz in order to buy these books instead" doesn't go down very well in most families... And to add to that you also pretty much drowned us in prepubs and new packages during April and May, presumably emptying more than one wallet and bank account.

I'm lucky in that I don't live from month to month, so for me personally it doesn't much matter when something ships or when I'm notified -- as long as I  don't find my account suddenly emptied while I'm traveling. But most people aren't in my position, so the more expensive a prepub is, the longer the advance warning needs to be, even if it's just a 'Q2'. For your own sake as well as ours. Suggestion now that it is what it is: allow people to save this prepub for 6 months. I think you'll sell more that way. I doubt many people will order it for the full price.

Otherwise, my personal concern is trying to guess whether this collection will turn up in 'Verbum 6 Portfolio' for about $250 in a year or two. I'm tired of financing prepubs that others can then buy for a fraction of the price I paid. 

Greg Masone:
fgh:

fgh, I started to, but I ran into some difficulty actually comparing the contents of each author in each series. Many times the titles, and even author names, are different for whatever reason, and not having the volumes on hand at home made it difficult to go back and forth with them all to make sure everything is accurate.

Maybe one of these days I'll get the motivation to complete it, as I have access to both sets in the same library, but probably not for awhile!

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 2 of 5 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS