RE: August's free book - Heaven by Moody

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 2 2013 11:53 PM

I really enjoyed this book, well worth a read, and I know our cultures are seperated by a common language, LOL, but does anyone else see the gramaticial error from the promo email (above) humorous??

So:

Dont miss out on "Conversion August" - dont even think of leaving it till september, when entry into heaven will cost you more - LOL - I guess I am the only one who "mis-read" it?!?

Have a great weekend..

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 19315
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:12 AM

Does anyone know if that's the same as this one in Vyrso: http://vyrso.com/product/30652/heaven

I bought that one back in April. Not sure I need two copies of the same book in my Library, even if the second one is free. I suppose I could always "buy" this freebie and hide it if it turns out to be the same.

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:36 AM

Title page of freebie says:

NEW REVISED EDITION

HEAVEN:

WHERE IT IS, ITS INHABITANTS, AND HOW TO GET THERE

the certainty of god’s promise of a life beyond the grave, and the rewards that are in store for faithful service

AS GLEANED FROM SACRED SCRIPTURE

by

D. L. MOODY

"And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof."

chicago:

F. H. Revell, 148 and 150 Madison Street

Publisher of Evangelical Literature

Entered according to Act of Congress, in the years 1880 and 1884, by

F. H. REVELL,

In the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

PREFACE TO FIRST EDITION

This little book, upon a subject that is very dear to me, has been carefully revised, and is sent forth in the hope that it may give comfort and edification to many; that the weak may be strengthened, the sorrowing consoled, and the despondent encouraged to look with increased faith to that fairest of fair cities in the "Better Land," which is the home of the Redeemer and the redeemed.

Many books have been published in this country in my name, but none of them with authority, and the only motive inspiring this small volume is that souls may be helped.

D. L. MOODY.

Northfield, Mass., 1880.

PUBLISHER’S NOTE TO SECOND EDITION

The unprecedented sale of "Heaven," which has in the four years since its first publication reached almost ninety thousand copies, has caused the plates to become very much worn, and we have taken this occasion in making entirely new electrotype plates, to carefully revise the book and materially improve its mechanical execution. That it may in its improved form go forth to an enlarged mission of usefulness is the hope of

THE PUBLISHER.

Chicago, January 1, 1885.

Posts 19315
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 12:50 AM

DominicM:

Title page of freebie says:

NEW REVISED EDITION

PUBLISHER’S NOTE TO SECOND EDITION

The unprecedented sale of "Heaven," which has in the four years since its first publication reached almost ninety thousand copies, has caused the plates to become very much worn, and we have taken this occasion in making entirely new electrotype plates, to carefully revise the book and materially improve its mechanical execution. That it may in its improved form go forth to an enlarged mission of usefulness is the hope of

THE PUBLISHER.

Chicago, January 1, 1885.

Interesting. So this one is dated 1885?

The one I have from Vyrso includes this on the title page:

Originally published in
1880 and 1884 by Fleming Revell,
now a division of Baker Books

Updated edition 1995 by
THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO

So it looks like the first and second editions were 1880 and 1884 (January 1, 1885 is close enough), and the one I have is even newer.

Posts 2470
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 7:51 AM

Rosie Perera:

Does anyone know if that's the same as this one in Vyrso: http://vyrso.com/product/30652/heaven

I bought that one back in April. Not sure I need two copies of the same book in my Library, even if the second one is free. I suppose I could always "buy" this freebie and hide it if it turns out to be the same.

This is the freebie I downloaded on Wednesday

LLS:HEAVENMOODY2012-07-30T22:50:42ZHEAVENMOODY.logos4

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 8:07 AM

DominicM:

I really enjoyed this book, well worth a read, and I know our cultures are seperated by a common language, LOL, but does anyone else see the gramaticial error from the promo email (above) humorous??

So:

Dont miss out on "Conversion August" - dont even think of leaving it till september, when entry into heaven will cost you more - LOL - I guess I am the only one who "mis-read" it?!?

Have a great weekend..

Hi Dominic, intrigued by the 'common language', I checked your bio. Pleasantly surprised to see a fellow user in Cumbria, we're languishing in sunny Workington!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 2:27 PM

papa_gowgow:

DominicM:

So:

Have a great weekend..

Hi Dominic, intrigued by the 'common language', I checked your bio. Pleasantly surprised to see a fellow user in Cumbria, we're languishing in sunny Workington!

Peace!            I appreciate your "catch," Dominic!                  Just looked up where you two guys are from and have fond memories of our daughter taking my wife and me to the Lake District for a couple of days including a brief walk on the Pennine Way...    shades of old Rome, eh???

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 72
papa_gowgow | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 2:56 PM

I've been to many places (though I admit, not yet Canada) and I've never found a place that beats my home county. Milford, if you ever get by this way again, it would be my pleasure to share a tea and Grasmere gingerbread with you.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 3 2013 4:20 PM

Peace, Dear Brother!                   You are gracious to invite!              I would graciously accept if I were to return to your area ...    It's a possibility, but I grow older by the day!                  *smile*                                     My daughter is thinking of moving back to London perhaps, one of a number of options for her ....       However, one of these days I won't be travelling any longer .....

Jamie Oliver has a high regard for Grasmere gingerbread, indeed...    so much so he is trying to imitate the secret recipe,eh???

Ultimate gingerbread

The best gingerbread I've ever eaten in my life is from a shop in Grasmere, in the Lake District, that I visited some years ago. They use a secret recipe which is about 150 years old and, of course, they wouldn't let me in on it, so I decided to have a go at my own... and it's not half bad – in fact, this will be some of the best gingerbread you'll ever eat! So, here we go. Don't forget, you can eat this simply as a biscuit, but it also works well sprinkled over ice cream or dipped into warm compote and cream for afternoon tea. And it's especially nice when used as a cheesecake base.

Nutritional Information (amount per serving)

Calories 399kcal Carbs 57.1g Sugar 34.6g Fat 17.0g Saturates 11.0g Protein 3.6g

Serves Makes 8-10

Ingredients

• 400 g shortbread
  • 170 g coarse demerara sugar
  • 3 level teaspoons ground

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2759
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:55 PM

no place like home - no bed like your own bed - but there are some beautiful places out there that come close (even in UK)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS