Still unacceptably slow: populating Bible Search dropdown

Page 3 of 6 (110 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 109 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 6:40 PM

Mark Barnes:
Could you upload your logs? It would be interesting to see how long your collections take to calculate.

Here is my log file - I started fresh, opened the drop down three times. I did not have the stop watch, I woukd say first time was well over 20 seconds, second time 12 seconds, third time 3 seconds.

4760.Logos.log

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 6:43 PM

Lynden Williams:
Mark, I'm having a similar problems as Rosie. Will try back up collection rules and see how long it takes for the menu to finish loading.

As a further thought, could tags be causing the problem? Could everyone posting let us know:

• The time taken to display the dropdown (not on the first click).
  • Roughly how many resources, collections, custom series, and tags you have.

My menu speed is near instantaneous. I have approx 10,500 resources, 150 collections, 3 custom series, and 14 tags.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 6:49 PM

Don Awalt:
Here is my log file - I started fresh, opened the drop down three times. I did not have the stop watch, I woukd say first time was well over 20 seconds, second time 12 seconds, third time 3 seconds.

Thanks. I think that suggests yours is working OK. The slow first time was caused mainly by Logos updating community metadata whilst you were waiting for the dropdown menu. Often the new metadata caused it to start recalculating again.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 6:50 PM

Mark Barnes:

As a further thought, could tags be causing the problem? Could everyone posting let us know:

• The time taken to display the dropdown (not on the first click).

19 sec.

Mark Barnes:

• Roughly how many resources, collections, custom series, and tags you have.

• 11,000 resources
  • 280 collections
  • maybe a max of 3 custom series, but I can't remember (how can I figure this out?)
  • 387 tags [could this be the problem? I'm a heavy user of tags, for all kinds of purposes]
Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 6:55 PM

Rosie Perera:
387 tags [could this be the problem? I'm a heavy user of tags, for all kinds of purposes]

Let's test the hypothesis: Users with slow dropdowns have lots of tags, users with fast dropdowns have few tags?

So far (just looking at me and you), the hypothesis is true. But we need more data!

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:01 PM

Deleted a number of collections, now my dropdown is instant. Will add them one by one, and see if I can narrow it down.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:10 PM

After a cold booth, took approximately 9 seconds. One of the collections that may be the culprit is the collections for the entire library. The second time that I tried the menu, it is instant.

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:14 PM

Restarted the software and the menu took four seconds to populate.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:20 PM

Lynden Williams:

Deleted a number of collections, now my dropdown is instant. Will add them one by one, and see if I can narrow it down.

Lynden Williams:
One of the collections that may be the culprit is the collections for the entire library. The second time that I tried the menu, it is instant.

I had one collection for the Entire Library which I don't need, so I deleted it. I also deleted a couple more that were nearly the entire library (rating:>=0 minus some type or some specific resources).

No change in the performance. Sigh.

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:26 PM

Another cold booth. The menu takes appx. nine seconds the first time, and instant the second time, even after closing the search panel.

Restarted the software, and ran the search again, was 3-4 seconds.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:51 PM

Lynden Williams:
Another cold booth.

A cold booth?

That's the second time you've written it that way, so maybe that's how you hear it and think it's supposed to be spelled. But what you're talking about is a cold boot.

And no, not this kind...

...however the term for booting a computer does come etymologically from the boots we wear on our feet. There's a phrase "to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps." Obviously you cannot literally lift yourself up by your own bootstraps:

But the saying means to improve your situation by your own efforts. More info here.

It came into computer lingo in the latter half of the 20th century. "Some early computers used a process called bootstrapping which alludes to this phrase. This involved loading a small amount of code which was then used to progressively load more complex code until the machine was ready for use. This has led to use of the term 'booting' to mean starting up a computer."

Sometimes, however, people get so angry with their computers, that this is the kind of booting they want to do to it:

Posts 6730
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 6 2013 7:58 PM

Thanks Rosie. I too have noticed that my spelling has gotten terrible lately. Part of it has to do with my mind racing ahead of my fingers, even though I touch type.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 3:50 AM

Mark Barnes:

Let's test the hypothesis: Users with slow dropdowns have lots of tags, users with fast dropdowns have few tags?

So far (just looking at me and you), the hypothesis is true. But we need more data!

FYI I have 338 unique tags, I have 13,043 resources tagged.

Posts 2830
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 3:52 AM

Mark Barnes:
Thanks. I think that suggests yours is working OK. The slow first time was caused mainly by Logos updating community metadata whilst you were waiting for the dropdown menu. Often the new metadata caused it to start recalculating again.

Thanks Mar, this is  interesting. I looked through the log, and updating 100 resources can take from 4 milliseconds to 400 milliseconds. I assume the variation is due to internet performance? I have a fast internet, that could easily add 5+ seconds for someone.

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 4:12 AM

Mark Barnes:

Rosie Perera:
387 tags [could this be the problem? I'm a heavy user of tags, for all kinds of purposes]

For me the dropdown populates within one-two seconds.

I have:

• 3155 resources
  • 140 collections - 22 of which appear under the Collections field in the dropdown
  • Approx 280 tags

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 8:23 AM

Mark Barnes:

Could someone define how we're counting tags? Is it number of distinct tag values, irrespective of how many resources to which they're applied?

If so, I'm sure I have a lot. I tag every new resource with at at least the date I purchased it. That's going to account for at least 100 distinct tags, I'd guess. I'm not at my Logos PC right now. What's the easiest way to get that count?

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 8:26 AM

Donnie Hale:
Is it number of distinct tag values, irrespective of how many resources to which they're applied?

I was assuming that this was the definition.

Donnie Hale:
What's the easiest way to get that count?

I ended up sorting my Library by "MyTags" and counting the entries manually.

I don't know of another way without using some SQL reader to access the databases themselves.

Posts 5632
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 8:59 AM

Graham Criddle:

Donnie Hale:
What's the easiest way to get that count?

I ended up sorting my Library by "MyTags" and counting the entries manually.

I count the number of entries on one screen and then paged down and multiplied the number of entries per page by the number of pages (plus the extras).

I have 2600 resources not hidden. 162 collections and 111 unique tags.  Near instantaneous dropdown for me.

I also never use an asterisk wildcard in any of my collections. (I haven't seen this mentioned on this thread yet, but it's a performance killer)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 25353
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 9:03 AM

Todd Phillips:
I count the number of entries on one screen and then paged down and multiplied the number of entries per page by the number of pages (plus the extras).

That would have saved me some timeEmbarrassed

Posts 55
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 7 2013 9:38 AM

For what it is worth, I have the same issue on an i7 Windows box,  It takes on average between 25-30 seconds.  I have 3,297 resources and 22 collections. 

Page 3 of 6 (110 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS