Still unacceptably slow: populating Bible Search dropdown

Page 5 of 6 (110 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 109 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 4:52 PM

Mark Barnes:
OR title:"(Latin)" OR title:"(Greek)"

I just discovered that even if you type it like that, Logos ignores the parentheses, which means everything that happens to have 'Latin' or 'Greek' in the title will get caught. OR lang:(greek,latin) will probably get you closer to what you want.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 4:58 PM

Seem to be back to 20's seconds on the desktop. Using the beta.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 6:06 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Rosie Perera:

As I mentioned before, I have 280 tags applied to about 10,000 of my 11,000+ resources. Does that count as "fewer tags applied to more books"? I don't think that should be a particularly unusual case.

If "more tags applied to fewer books" is worse, then "more tags applied to more books" (which is how I'd classify this) is worse still. Smile I think this is higher-than-average tagging; it may be more "particularly unusual" than you (or we) expected (which is why it's slow).

How are you counting the number of tags and tagged resources?

About 10,000 of my resources have any tags assigned at all, and most of them have multiple tags, some as many as 6 or 7, though most only 2 or 3. Most of them have at least a "Date: YYYYMMDD" tag indicating when I acquired them, and if they came in a base package or a bundle then they also have a tag indicating what they were part of (e.g., "Bundle: XXXX" or "Base: Series X Scholar's"). Then the ones I have gotten around to categorizing and/or shelving in my virtual bookcases have those sorts of tags (e.g., "Shelf: Biography" or "JSOTS" or "HistXty" and so on).

The number of tags I have is actually 1093 (280 was wrong; I think that was my number of collections). That is the count I get when I sort by My Tags and count how many lines there are.

Here's an example of some of my tags. As you can see, I could really benefit from a tag management tool, since I have been inconsistent with the naming of some of my tags, and it's currently impossible to rename a tag or merge two tags or remove a single tag from multiple resources without affecting the other tags that are assigned to those resources. Hint, hint. We've been asking for something like this for ages (many of us have), but there has been not a peep from Logos in response. It's finally gotten to the point that DominicM had to implement a hack to let us do this. Please do something sanctioned by Logos for letting us manage our tags better. I might end up being able to be more efficient about how many tags I have if I could manage them from within Logos.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 6:11 PM

Deleted most of my collections, now down to 9 seconds for the menu to come up the firs time. After that it is instantaneous. 

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:

The number of tags I have is actually 1093 

Well, there's your problem. Smile

Even if each tag took just 10ms to evaluate (e.g., one disk seek), which it does, having 1000 of them makes it take about 10s to evaluate them all which is in line with the delays you've been measuring.

The good news is that the optimisation brings this down to under 100ms for all tags combined, which should significantly improve the user experience for users with lots of tags.

Posts 9151
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:

Please do something sanctioned by Logos for letting us manage our tags better.

I have seen specs (but no code yet) for better tag management in the Library. It is currently planned (no guarantees, all plans subject to change) for a release in the near future.

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 9:09 PM

Rosie Perera:

The number of tags I have is actually 1093 

Well, there's your problem. Smile

Even if each tag took just 10ms to evaluate (e.g., one disk seek), which it does, having 1000 of them makes it take about 10s to evaluate them all which is in line with the delays you've been measuring.

The good news is that the optimisation brings this down to under 100ms for all tags combined, which should significantly improve the user experience for users with lots of tags.

That's good news. It seems very inefficient to do a separate disk seek for each tag. And would you have had to seek again if a tag is used in multiple collections (which many of mine are)? In other words, you're going through computing what's in each collection, right, so I'm guessing you did look up each tag as it occurred in the collection. Some of my collection rules are as simple as mytag:HistXty, but others combine multiple tags in complex boolean logic (for example my Biographical Resources collection uses this rule: title:biog OR subject:biog OR mytag:Biog -subject:("Jesus Christ", Gospels, "Bible - O.T.", Apostles) -mytag:BibleChar -type:media); or they include other collections (which themselves are based on tags) in the "Plus these resources" or "Minus these resources" section.

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 9:10 PM

Rosie Perera:

I have seen specs (but no code yet) for better tag management in the Library. It is currently planned (no guarantees, all plans subject to change) for a release in the near future.

Yay! I hope I will like the specs. Smile

Posts 25206
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:18 PM

Rosie Perera:

This is great news - thanks for sharingYes

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 1:34 AM

This is really good news. I had all but abandoned tagging due to the present inelegant management system. This is very welcome news!

Thanks, Bradley. 

Big Smile

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:03 AM

Andy Evans:
This is really good news. I had all but abandoned tagging due to the present inelegant management system.

Ditto. Better tag management would be a HUGE advance forward in my book.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:08 AM

Added most of the commentaries and collections from here: https://faithlife.com/collections-commentaries-and-theologies/about and closed the software with the LEB as the selected on in the search Box.

Did a cold boot, and the search is still instantaneous. Next I will try to replace the denominational tags.https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about and see if they make a difference. I am going through this process because I only deleted one or two tags, and my speed is instant.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:40 AM

Part of the problem seems to be in the denominational list found here: https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/documents

Started from the top and stopped at Presbyterian. Immediately I noticed a six second lag, when opening search the first time. Deleted them all and I am down to a three second lag. Judaism and the second Temple was also deleted. I can now get the dropdown menu from top Bibles in four seconds.

If I leave the Lexham English Bible (my default) in the panel rather than Top Bibles, it is populating at three/four seconds. I count my seconds each time the little square moves from left to right, while waiting to populate the menu.

Will try a cold boot next.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:51 AM

After a cold boot, and having removed the denominations, I have an instant drop down of the menu. I did leave LEB as the default Bible in search. 

Conclusion, the Churches are fighting among themselves. Big Smile

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:53 AM

Changed from LEB to Top Bibles, closed the software and restarted. It took four seconds for the menu to drop down. 

Thus it seems a work around would be to close the search panel with your preferred Bible as the default.

Posts 6725
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 2:56 AM

I leave the search panel open and close the software. Upon relaunching, both the NKJV and the LEB take 3/4 seconds to populate the first time, the second time it is instant.

Posts 55
Rick Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 9:26 AM

No, very few actually. 

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 9:29 AM

Rick Williams:

No, very few actually. 

It's helpful if you include some context of what you were responding to, especially when your response comes way later in the thread than the post you are replying to. You can quote the person you're replying to by selecting the relevant portion of their post when you're in Compose mode, and clicking Quote.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 9:32 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rick Williams:

No, very few actually. 

It's helpful if you include some context of what you were responding to, especially when your response comes way later in the thread than the post you are replying to. You can quote the person you're replying to by selecting the relevant portion of their post when you're in Compose mode, and clicking Quote.

For those who are interested, Rick was answering a question I asked:

Mark Barnes:

Rick Williams:
For what it is worth, I have the same issue on an i7 Windows box,  It takes on average between 25-30 seconds.  I have 3,297 resources and 22 collections. 

Do you have lots of tags?

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 9 2013 9:32 AM

Rosie Perera:
I believe Rick was responding to Mark's question which was specifically addressed to him on the 7th. You can find that out by clicking on the 'replied' link in the heading of his post (you probably knew that already).

(edit: sorry I see Mark replied while I was typing my post)

Page 5 of 6 (110 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS