Hey You! Update to L5 for free.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27671
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 8 2013 6:10 AM

Hey you! Why haven't you updated to the L5 engine? Logos philosophy is that the software should always be free... It's only the resources you must pay for. Some of the new features require new resources (I.e. data sets), so to use those features, you would need to purchase the core datasetsminimal crossgrade or base package. You do not need to do so, however, for the rest of the features to work just fine. When L5 was FIRST released, Logos limited its access to those who purchased a new base package, but always intended it to be available to all users. It has been available for some time now.

As long as you are running Windows Vista or better (i.e. not Windows XP), you are encouraged to update. One added benefit of updating... You can use the Logos 5 forum. This one is like a ghost town because most everyone has already updated. Now it's your turn! Smile

These are the enhancements you'll be getting with a free upgrade*:

1. Updated Home Page, with better 'Go' layouts
  2. New Library features, including Custom Series and filter by collection
  3. New search features:
    • Search helps
    • Sympathetic highlighting
    • Image search
    • Root searches (only free if you have reverse-interlinears from L4)
  4. Share/Undelete/Sort documents
  5. Bibliographies
  6. Scripture Memory Tool
  7. Resource Previews
  8. Typography Settings
  9. Open/Sort Saved Guides
  10. Topic Guide
  11. Bible Facts Tool (combines Biblical People/Places/Things)
  12. Create your own Lectionaries and Bible Harmonies in Personal Books
  13. Translation section in information panel (only free if you have reverse-interlinears from L4)
  14. Syntactic data in Exegetical Guide (only free if you own Lexham SGNT. If not you'll need MC or Bronze+)
  15. Roots data in Bible Word Study (only free if you have reverse-interlinears from L4)

And these are the L5 enhancements you wouldn't have access to without purchasing new datasets*:

1. Events in the Bible Facts Tool (requires CD,  MC, or Starter+)
  2. Timeline (requires CD,  MC, or Starter+)
  3. New 'Outlines' section in Passage Guide (CDMC, or Bronze+)
  4. Sermon Starter Guide (requires CD,  MC, or Bronze+)
  5. Referent section in information panel (requires CD,  MC, or Silver+)
  6. Sense data in Exegetical Guide (requires MC, or Gold+)
  7. Update to Bible Word Study
    1. Phrases (requires CD,  MC, or Bronze+)
    2. Sense (requires MC, or Gold+)
  8. Clause Search (requires MC, or Silver+)
  9. New visual filters:
    1. Timeline events (requires CD,  MC, or Starter+)
    2. Speaker labels (requires CD,  MC, or Silver+)
  10. Bible Sense Lexicon  (requires MC, or Gold+)

But even though you won't get all the new features of L5 without paying for the new datasets, you can see that there are still a lot of useful enhancements that won't cost you a penny. So what are you waiting for?

* Thanks to Mark Barnes for compiling the list of features. This list was current as of August 8, 2013.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 102
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:18 PM

I'm still happily using WinXP (Surprise) so the following query is more academic than urgent.

I was just wondering if anyone's compiled a list of any L4 features that might no longer work with the free L5 engine. Or is every L4 tool guaranteed to have an equivalent that exists and is accessible under L5?

(I'm hardly a power user, so I don't have a long list of examples. But, looking through Mark's list above, I wonder if my existing L4 timelines or Bible Word Study features might become defunct if I haven't purchased the L5 equivalents.)

Posts 102
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:29 PM

To further my own question: yes, there's something of a comparison list at http://wiki.logos.com/Upgrade_or_Crossgrade. And there does seem to be the possibility that items running under "Logos 4" don't appear to be supported in "Logos 5 Free". One feature that I'm particularly fond of is Sentence Diagramming. The comparison chart could be read to say that my L4 feature is not likely to operate under the free L5 engine. Tongue Tied

Posts 1835
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 7:10 PM

Andrew Malone:

One feature that I'm particularly fond of is Sentence Diagramming. The comparison chart could be read to say that my L4 feature is not likely to operate under the free L5 engine. Tongue Tied

Here is Sentence Diagramming working on L5 sr3. I have Gold. The chart you linked says that Sentence Diagram is available in Bronze and above. I believe (I don't know for sure) that if you already have that in your current level of 4, it would remain if you did the free engine crossgrade. This is actually a diagram I created under L4 which I am still able to open and use in L5.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 10029
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 11:43 PM

Andrew Malone:
The comparison chart could be read to say that my L4 feature is not likely to operate under the free L5 engine.

Andrew,

this chart is packed full with information, thus it may be tempting to overlook the big note on the wiki page:

• everything that you own/that works in L4 will stay in L5.

The information on the page is relevant only for those who currently don't own Sentence Diagramming and look for the various ways to obtain it. For you, it will continue to work in L5

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 102
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 5:02 PM

NB.Mick:

• everything that you own/that works in L4 will stay in L5.

Sweet. I guess I'm naturally cautious about which of two apparently-contradictory statements might take precedent. But I'm happy to trust the big bold note!

Posts 63
Matthew Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 8:25 PM

One new feature to add to the L5 list is the big list of interface translations, as L4 only has English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Swedish.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS