Run Logos5 from SDcard on Win 8 Tablet

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 4:28 PM

David Saylor:

1. Went to the Tablet based Logos 5 folder and renamed the subfolders inside the DATA folder to the same name as is found in my working laptop program, which was 1vvwhhim.zfg  (did not change any files contained within....yet)
  2. Instead of copying the entire DATA folder from my working laptop program, I only copied and replaced the following subfolders and their contents:
    1. D:\Logos5\Data\1vvwhhim.zfg\LibraryIndex
    2. D:\Logos5\Data\1vvwhhim.zfg\ResourceManager

You would be better off using Method 3 rather than trying to work around Method 2 to this extent. Method 3 avoids downloading and can be used for updating resources as well as installing Logos.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2013 1:50 PM

Well, patience pays off!  After maybe 10 tries of installing L5 on the tablet, using different permutations of Methods 2 & 3, plus suggestions from the helpful brothers on this forum, I'm happy to report that I have it running on the VivoTab and it's not that bad.

It is, however, still indexing, and may have a long way to go, as I ended up using Method 3 to achieve a working installation.  A Basic Search now only returns suggested Topics, with 0 search results (e.g. searching for "Jesus" in the entire library).

Wondering how long it will take for a complete indexing of Portfolio from scratch, on an Atom machine with 2MB of RAM... will report back!

So maybe I'll keep this tablet after all...

Thanks all,

Peter

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2013 5:11 PM

Hi David,

The last few times I had Logos 5 running and I turn off (sleep) the tablet, logos had either frozen or crashed when I resume the tablet. One time I even had to restart the tablet. Have you experienced this instability?

Also, my indexer has been running on and off for the last few hours, but my search is still returning zero results from the library. I do see results from my own notes documents. Did you have that issue?

Thanks!

Peter

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 16 2013 7:26 AM

Peter, 

No,I have had neither issue.

Well, I have had my tablet sometimes be off when I turn on in the morning.  Maybe it is related to Logos...I will keep in eye on that.  But it's not a real headache.  Most times it doesn't do that, because I generally leave in on in the daytime.  

The other problem I have never had.

dave

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 16 2013 9:27 PM

I have to thank everybody here because my wife now has a VivoTab Smart with her Logos 5 up and running!

The keyboard is on order and I don't yet have a MicroUSB adaptor but it's been fairly easy to use the 2x onscreen keyboards, and to access folders and drives shared on my Network (LAN). The stylus was fine except for selecting the little arrow to get the tab/panel menu, but switching the Windows display size from 100% to 115% took care of that.

Using Method 3 it took about 25 min to install, scan the resources from a desktop computer and index (less than 100 resources!). Performance is good and the dual core showed up when doing a few other tasks during the indexing; which otherwise hogged 95% of the CPU. Logos 5 loads in in 45s after restarting the tablet vs 68s of the ancient single core 2.16 GHz Athlon XP that my wife used to run Logos in Win XP.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 17 2013 10:53 AM

After many, many tries and learning how to turn on logging and read the logs, I found that putting Logos on the MicroSD card wasn't working for me.  I found that the indexing (remember I'm using Method 3, so it required a full indexing) frequently crashed because the MicroSD was not accessible for some reason.

(I saw this myself once when the MicroSD drive just disappeared from File Explorer on its own and the machine needed a reboot.)

Anyway, so I now have Logos 5 working and indexed on my tablet.  Problem is, I have it installed on my C: drive, and it is now down to 750MB free space.

Question: Does anyone know how to move the recovery partition off to the MicroSD card so as to free up space on C:?

Thanks!

Peter

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 17 2013 1:02 PM

I found EaseUS Partition Master.  It works like a charm.  I moved my recovery partition to my MicroSD card, freed up 9GB on the C: drive.  And now the indexer is running much faster!

I learned a lot from this experience, even though it was time consuming and frustrating.  I think I got L5 working on this tablet now with a Portfolio library on a 1.2 lb machine!  PTL!

Peter

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 1:51 AM

PL:
(I saw this myself once when the MicroSD drive just disappeared from File Explorer on its own and the machine needed a reboot.)

This happened once with my laptop's SD card and a reboot was also needed. I always change the drive letter** in Disk Management so that it is always associated with that card (or removable drive) and occasionally remove/reinsert it.

** system assigned letters are sequential, so I assign letters from K upwards.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 5:19 AM

PL:
 I found that the indexing (remember I'm using Method 3, so it required a full indexing) frequently crashed because the MicroSD was not accessible for some reason.

I just discovered a couple of failed updates on my Win 8 desktop of which one - KB2855336 - "Resolves an issue that could cause SD cards to no longer be detected by Windows when the system transitions between different power states." Others have had problems if you check the internet, BUT it had installed successfully on my VivoTab Smart today!

Check Windows Update and/or its history to see if you have it.

EDIT:

The other failed update is KB2862768 - "Resolves an issue in which some Micro SD cards are not detected on Windows 8 tablets"! Happily, that also updated successfully on my VivoTab! Note that it is an Optional update.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 18 2013 6:34 PM

Hi Dave,

thanks for the tip!  The VivoTab is running quite well now. 

I also ran into an issue with the tablet not waking up from sleep. Aft installing all the Microsoft and Asus updates, it seems more stable now.  We'll see if it has the same issue again Jin the next few days. A Google search showed that other users have this same problem.

Thanks,

peter

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:41 PM

PL you must be a man of deep abiding faith and extra reserves of patience.  The machine (tablet) you describe would have sailed well beyond the fence in my backyard (into the woods) days ago if it was mine!

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 11:12 AM

Here's a video to show the performance of Logos 5 on my VivoTab Smart Win 8 Tablet AND some tips on using Logos 5 on a touch device. I am really impressed on how "touch friendly" the software is.  I don't think it would take much to make it truly shine.)

(Sorry about the quality. I took it on a camera rather than by a screen capture so the touch features could be seen.)

Logos5-Win8Tablet from David Saylor on Vimeo.

Posts 1776
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 5:36 PM

Mr. Saylor....Logos should offer you a free book or something for the community blessing you just gave us all with your video.  Thanks for the effort, your time, and for caring enough to show us what you have done and how.  I especially enjoyed the way you chose columns and could click on margins in order to change pages.

What is the DPI of your screen?  Is it easy to ready or sharp?  God bless you for being so helpful to us all.  Your church or ministry must find you a true blessing.

....I could never do all that you have done with the various methods and all the installs and reinstalls that some have done.  

The tablet would fly from my truck window on the way to church on Sunday if I had to do what you and others have had to do here.

Glad to hear your tinkering and patient work is paying off for you though.

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 6:29 PM

Josh,  thanks I'm glad to share the little I have learned.  Others have helped me so much on these forms and on the wiki.  I'm certainly not trying to sell the tablet to anyone.  The screen resolution is 1366x768 and is quite nice.  Looks as good as my laptop.  The movie I made does not do it justice, especially with the lights in my office.  The Bluetooth keyboard is additional.  Mine is the one sold with the tablet and is very compact.  I'm sure you can use others as well.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 6:34 PM

David Saylor:
Here's a video to show the performance of Logos 5 on my VivoTab Smart Win 8 Tablet

Impressive, David.

It looks like we need a Mouse as the stylus will not drag resources in the Prioritize list (a keyboard is coming!).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:11 PM

One thought.  Can't you just do stuff like that from your other machine and it will come onto the tablet automatically?  I guess that wouldn't happen if you are not the same user on both however.

Posts 27255
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:38 PM

David Saylor:
Can't you just do stuff like that from your other machine

Yes, I had to do that from my desktop! But if we were on holiday it would be a nuisance.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 459
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:23 PM

David,

Thanks for this very useful tip. I didn't know that it was possible to install Logos 5 on the microSD card. I've had a VivoTab Smart for some time, but I had a glitch and needed to reset it. Now I have reinstalled Logos on my microSD card. That meant redownloading my resources, of course. Logos is indexing now. One advantage to installing on the card is that if I ever need to reset my tablet, I won't have to download everything again.

I've had a chance to use a Surface Pro as well as the Asus. Yes, the Surface does things faster and has a better display. But the Asus does pretty well given its price and specs. The thing that takes longest, in my experience, is setup. Plan on a couple of days if you have many resources to download and index. But once everything is installed, the Asus does a decent job. It's lighter than the Surface and has much better battery life. It's still a lot faster than thumbing through all the books these resources are based on, not to mention easier to store! 

Posts 1575
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 26 2013 10:00 AM

Hi David,

Thank you for posting the video.  I can't help but noticed that your VivoTab Smart is much faster and more responsive than mine.  I also have Logos installed on a MicroSD card (64GB, class 10, Sandisk).  I have about 4,000 resources and indexing is done so it shouldn't impact the UI.

I wonder what's causing yours to be so much faster.  On mine, just selecting text for highlighting is sluggish -- the selection of each character takes about a second or so.  Resuming Logos from minimized state or going into Reading Mode or changing screen orientation also takes a long time (10-15 seconds).

The tablet is otherwise very responsive -- the Metro interface is very smooth.  Resuming other programs from minimized state is also fast.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Posts 98
David Saylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 3:12 AM

Peter,

I really don't know, but I know I looked at the specs for that Sandisk card (red and gray color?) and it gives a warning against reformatting to something besides EXfat.  As noted further up in this forum I reformatted my card to NTFS format (based on another computer help site that said to do that if you wanted to run programs from a Win 8 tablet microsd card).  Did you do the same? 

Dave

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS