BDAG/BAGD confusion

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1495
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 3:40 AM

BAGD seems to be from 1979, I assume it still has the copyright?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 3711
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 3:41 AM

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 3:41 AM

A few years back I also found an old set of cds that had it. It was very expensive but I really wanted that lexicon. So it is possible to find just not easy and might be expensive. 

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 3:45 AM

Here is a link to the 1975 edition that is online. 

http://lareopage.free.fr/a&g/main.htm

Posts 2831
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 6:32 AM

Ah, but life was so much simpler in the good ole days when there was just BAG.  Or maybe it was just me that so much simpler.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 177
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 1:44 PM

Okay, it sounds like I'm the only guy that got mandatorily "upgraded," and lost the old version.

I bought Logos 2 in 1996 (Level 4), which included BAGD.  Somewhere along the way, I was "upgraded" to BDAG, and my BAGD went away.  Strangely, it sounds like others got to keep their older version.

Not a really big deal to me, but strange, as it sounds like many others have been able to keep their BAG.

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:00 PM

Al Het:

Okay, it sounds like I'm the only guy that got mandatorily "upgraded," and lost the old version.

I bought Logos 2 in 1996 (Level 4), which included BAGD.  Somewhere along the way, I was "upgraded" to BDAG, and my BAGD went away.  Strangely, it sounds like others got to keep their older version.

Not a really big deal to me, but strange, as it sounds like many others have been able to keep their BAG.

I'm wondering if it may be due to the version that you had may not be compatible somehow with the Logos version you have now. Also, BAGD is referenced and linked to from some resources (I forgot which one). On a side note, it would be good if they bring that version back as they have with the ISBE, if for nothing more than for the links to work correctly.

Posts 9108
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:01 PM

Al Het:

You might want to contact Customer Service about this.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 13 2015 2:13 PM

Todd Phillips:
I can manually look up the page refs, so it's still nice to have.

If you prioritise it as one of your preferred lexicons, then it will always appear near the top of the list and you'd be able to do a quick lookup from the context menu, doing away with the need to do a two-step lookup using the page number. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 177
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 8:10 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I'm wondering if it may be due to the version that you had may not be compatible somehow with the Logos version you have now.

Not sure.  I believe I lost it somewhere in the Libronix period. 

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
On a side note, it would be good if they bring that version back as they have with the ISBE, if for nothing more than for the links to work correctly.

Makes sense.

Posts 177
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 8:11 AM

Bruce Dunning:
You might want to contact Customer Service about this.

I might do that.  I didn't realize until this thread that others had kept their old version. 

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 14 2015 12:54 PM

GregW:

Todd Phillips:
I can manually look up the page refs, so it's still nice to have.

If you prioritise it as one of your preferred lexicons, then it will always appear near the top of the list and you'd be able to do a quick lookup from the context menu, doing away with the need to do a two-step lookup using the page number. 

That is true for Greek lemma look-ups.  But I was referring to the page number references that are usually used when BAGD is referenced in a footnote or other kind of note.  If a book doesn't have those references tagged, then I have to type the page reference manually into the BADG window.  (Not that I do this a lot.)

Example from Expositor's Bible Commentary, vol 8:

Note that there are 4 references there, but only 3 are tagged to a location.  (The highlight on the "BADG" just expands the abbreviation)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2016 5:04 PM

Mark Barnes:

14,015 vs 5,429. With that number of links, I'd certainly be interested in buying the old version if (a) The publishers allowed it, and (b) Logos make those references to BAGD into hyperlinks.

60,891:10,645 for BAGD:BDAG ratio of nearly 6:1 (along with noting "old" Exegetical Summary resources lacking BAGD active page links).

Reviving thread started on 17 Dec 2009 since share interest in older BAGD resource after finding 60,861 BAGD references in 599 resources, which have a number of active page links that display "don't have a license" in Logos 6.11 Beta 5

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2016 5:45 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Mark Barnes:

14,015 vs 5,429. With that number of links, I'd certainly be interested in buying the old version if (a) The publishers allowed it, and (b) Logos make those references to BAGD into hyperlinks.

60,891:10,645 for BAGD:BDAG ratio of nearly 6:1 (along with noting "old" Exegetical Summary resources lacking BAGD active page links).

Reviving thread started on 17 Dec 2009 since share interest in older BAGD resource after finding 60,861 BAGD references in 599 resources, which have a number of active page links that display "don't have a license" in Logos 6.11 Beta 5

Keep Smiling Smile

There are so many resources that reference the BAGD (and not BDAG), and it STILL would be good if Faithlife would bring that version back into availability.

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 7 2016 6:13 PM

I don't think it's faithlife. A few years ago I was looking for this resource. It took me a while but did find it in an old logos 2 cd. 

Posts 3941
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2016 6:39 PM

Mark Barnes:

Ruben Sandoval:
Can I still get the BAGD version?

If you're very lucky you might find a copy in a bargain bin in a Christian bookstore or on eBay. But I've been looking for five years, and have never found one!

:x I had an old version of L2 that had it, and I think I got a second license when I picked up an old L3 library (scholars series X).

I probably couldn't separate it without gutting my library though.

Point is, keep checking. the series X library cost me ~100$ as I recall.

BAGD:4868
BDAG:5796

Resource count: 15357

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 87
Rick Carmickle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2016 9:41 PM

I have 7,000 resources, but if I could only keep 25 of them, this would be in the list. I can access this resource instantly in my Greek or English Bibles. If you translate, then sell what you need to get this. 

Posts 3200
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2016 3:52 AM

Does anyone have the specific cd BAGD appears on and the book id? I have numerous old L2 and 3 cd's but have not been able to locate resource.

Posts 2028
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2016 4:02 AM

I have come across it twice in this package.  I sold this set not too long ago, and I still have the license from the previous purchase.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1495
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 10 2016 4:16 AM

I recall one user suggested long time ago that those with BDAG should get BAGD for free as a compliment. I guess the publisher did not warm up to that suggestion?

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS