Off topic

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 10 2013 5:56 PM

Greetings all,

I purchased a new hard drive and am installing Windows 7.  The first set of of updates (162) are installing.  I chose the shut down method for when they are finished.  The problem is that the installing update is stuck at 109 out of 162 for eight hours now.  Should I continue to wait or hard shut down the computer?  Suggestions are appreciated!!!

blessings,

danp

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:04 PM

Dan Pogue:
Suggestions are appreciated!!!

=> http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-fix-a-stuck-windows-update

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 6:18 PM

Thanks KS4J...that still does not answer the question of hard shutting down the computer and rebooting...I have had enough issues with this computer and L5.  I would really like the install to go smoothly and not have the same issues with L5 that i have previously been through...

danp

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 7:14 PM

Dan Pogue:
...that still does not answer the question of hard shutting down the computer and rebooting...

Searching internet for "windows 7 updates stuck" found several replies that included hard shut down of computer.  One person removed battery and power supply to force a hard shut down.

Personally have used System Rescue CD to shred a hard disk followed by partitioning hard drive and installing Windows, then install appropriate hardware drivers.  Note: shred command has an option to overwrite a disk with all zeros.

Caution: when applying Windows Updates, prudent to be behind a firewall that blocks unsolicited network traffic.  An unpatched Windows computer with public IP address will remotely be owned by someone else before updates can be installed.

Logos has installation page => http://www.logos.com/installation

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 7:46 PM

Thanks...am working on the rest of the updates...this is actually for tower and not a laptop

Posts 24941
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 9:48 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Caution: when applying Windows Updates, prudent to be behind a firewall that blocks unsolicited network traffic.

If you have a router or a modem/router (combined device) they will do this for you - and there is no need to have a software firewall to replace the Windows one.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 10 2013 11:01 PM

Dan Pogue:

I have had enough issues with this computer [...]

Is it the case more that there are issues with the machine alone, instead of the machine and L5. L5 will stress the machine a little, but are/may there be underlying problems with the machine?

Seeing as you are doing a new Windows install (so basically setting up machine from scratch) have you checked that you have all the latest firmware for the BIOS and components in the computer (HDD, video, USB etc.) installed into new Windows install on the HDD? Personally (speaking as an IT person) I would make sure that you have all of those done and up to date before applying Windows updates.

Also it's a good idea to install Windows service packs before installing Windows updates as many updates will be rolled up into the Windows service pack(s) and it is (much) better to install them via a service pack then by individual updates.

You can also check how Windows updates have progressed by looking at the Windows Update log file:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

If any have failed you will see in the log file.

I would really encourage you though to get all firmware updates installed first.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

An unpatched Windows computer with public IP address will remotely be owned by someone else before updates can be installed.

Yes — isn't that a sad state of affairs. So as Dave says it's best to be behind a Internet access device that has firewalling and NAT on it so the Windows machine is not 'naked' on the Internet.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 196
Dan Pogue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 11 2013 12:57 PM

Thanks for all the info gentlemen!  Finally got all the updates in and L5 is up and running again...so excited!  No more indexing when I boot up, no more crashes!  WOOHOO!!! Big Smile

blessings,

danp

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS