What Does 'Update Active Layout' Do When There Is No Active Layout?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 14 2013 9:25 AM

I recently installed a button to update the active layout, as suggested by Mo on the blog.  This really does speed up the chore of updating the active layout.

But then I got worried.  What happens when I've had one of my layouts open, hit the 'Close All' button, and drag some new windows into place (thus leaving, technically, no saved 'active' layout); then hit the Update Active Layout button?  Will it do nothing (since there is no saved layout open), or will it overwrite the last saved layout I had open (that would be bad).

I'm afraid to try it and see with one of my (important to me) saved layouts open.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 10:40 AM

Hello Doc,

"Active Layout" and what's currently on-screen are really somewhat separate topics.

"Close All" does not close your "active layout". It only closes the resources and panels inside that layout. If you press "Update Active Layout" you will write over the previous layout which is still active.

Similarly, closing your active layout will simply make it not active, it doesn't close the panels.

It's important to notice what layout is named at the top of the application so you know what you're updating with that button. If there is no active layout, the button is non-functional.

This article may be informative: http://www.logos.com/support/logos5/layouts

I apologize for the confusion. It's a difficult concept to explain.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 27675
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 11:01 AM

Mike (Tech Support):
It's a difficult concept to explain.

Zip it! Stick out tongue

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 11:10 AM

Alabama, I'll take your 2nd emoticon and await our Australian friend.

Posts 1836
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 11:22 AM

Thanks Mike! this helps explain the thread I started a week ago about "current snapshot" and "active layout" that Dave Hooton was so helpful to explain to me.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2820
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 3:09 PM

Mike (Tech Support):
"Active Layout" and what's currently on-screen are really somewhat separate topics.

I'm sure there are good reasons why that is the case, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they might be. What is on-screen is intuitively the 'active layout'; by making this not so, I'm afraid some of us will likely overwrite some things we really didn't want to lose.

Mike (Tech Support):
"Close All" does not close your "active layout". It only closes the resources and panels inside that layout.

While all that is what it is, the fact that 'close all' doesn't really close *all* is a bigger deal.  For a Calvinist, I'm speaking a lot like a hard-core Arminian here, but 'all' should mean 'all'. The 'close all' button should close the active layout when it closes the resources on the screen.

I guess I'll figure it out the hard way...

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:19 PM

Doc B:

Mike (Tech Support):

I'm sure there are good reasons why that is the case, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they might be. What is on-screen is intuitively the 'active layout'; by making this not so, I'm afraid some of us will likely overwrite some things we really didn't want to lose.

It's a difficult concept to explainStick out tongue

So, if you avoid using "Close all" and especially avoid using "Close active layout" you will continue to have a good day..

Doc B:

Mike (Tech Support):
"Close All" does not close your "active layout". It only closes the resources and panels inside that layout.

While all that is what it is, the fact that 'close all' doesn't really close *all* is a bigger deal. 

"Close all" nukes the active layout - nothing is left "Active". Dunno why Mike wrote what he wrote...

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 14 2013 7:33 PM

Dave Hooton:
Dunno why Mike wrote what he wrote...

Because it's such a difficult concept that even Logos doesn't understand it?Stick out tongue

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 20 2013 12:23 PM

Dave Hooton:

nukes the active layout - nothing is left "Active". Dunno why Mike wrote what he wrote...

Ha! You're right. I'll have to review that training article. It didn't work that way when it was written (during beta). That sure makes it easier to work with though. Thanks for correcting me, Dave.

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS