BUG: Homepage - Verse of the Day

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2062
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 15 2013 6:28 AM

I have not been able to crack this one yet. But the Verse of the Day is apparently only displayed under some conditions. Uncheck everything but VotD. It doesn't display. I've tried a lot of combination but can't crack the code. Or it may depend on how many items are displayed before VotD shows up. ???

Shift-F5 doesn't work. Ctrl-F5 does weird stuff. What does it do?

[EDIT] There is some random element to this. With certain settings, pressing Shift+F5 will sometimes load the page with VotD, sometimes without if you keep pressing it over and over. But the settings seem to affect this also. When I have Logos Blog and everything from My Logos Messages & down, Shift-F5 does as just described, randomly appears & disappears. If I uncheck one of those, VotD goes away. But those are not the only combination that causes it... I think.

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 15 2013 8:53 AM

Randy W. Sims (Shayne):
Uncheck everything but VotD. It doesn't display

I have created a case for Development. 

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 19 2013 3:29 PM

Randy, you are right that there is a random element to it however the current behavior is by design. The Homepage is meant to look dynamic and fresh each time it is loaded, and part of that is randomizing the layout of each page, and promoting different things to span multiple columns. Verse of the Day (like all media) is always a featured item, meaning that when it appears, it will span two or more columns.

A page won’t show any featured items (including VotD) if it would create awkward whitespace (which usually happens if there aren’t a lot of items on that page), or if the app is resized to be very small. Also, since VotD is treated as a media item, it won’t appear of a page if the random layout doesn’t include media items.

The more items that are available to be shown on the homepage, the more likely VotD will be shown. Turning off everything except VotD triggers the awkward whitespace rule, and only enabling enough sources to generate a page of content means less chances for the homepage to generate layouts that promote media items.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS