Reinstalling Logos 5

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 21 2013 8:52 AM

Tell me where I've made the wrong turn. I've copied Logos 5 (file is called Logos 4) that has the following directories ...

1) Data

2) Documents

3) en-US

4) es-ES

5) es-MX

6) install

7) shared

8) System

9) Users

10) Logos.exe

I've copied this over to a new Laptop, putting it into Bootjack\AppData\Local .... I put it here because this is where it was found on the old(er) Laptop.

I've clicked on the Logos.exe  - and it's taken off saying the following ...

"Preparing your Library" ...

Now it doesn't say how many days or weeks it will take to prepare the Library, but that's what it's doing now. Why am I thinking it cannot be this easy? Please advise.

Posts 1341
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:11 AM

Hi Bootjack,

Depending on the horsepower of your machine, this initial discovery process can take several hours.

I was monitor this process several ways (to make sure the machine hasn't died or hung):

- Task Manager - watch that Logos or Logos Indexer are actively using the CPU, using RAM, and/or accessing the hard disk.

- Windows Explorer - go to the Resource Manager folder, and check the Resources, Bible Index, and Library Index subfolders (sort by reverse date/time stamp) - during some parts of the preparation process you can see that some files are getting touched or added or file size changed.

- (Best way) Turn on Logging (http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging) - Then you can see exactly what the background processes are doing at any moment... some steps can take up to 30 minutes, but if you don't see any updates in either of the logs (Logos log and Indexer log) then the process might have hung.

Hope this helps.  Patience is a virtue when it comes to Logos library preparation and indexing, especially on slower hardware.

Peter

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 9:21 AM

Hi Peter,

That process took about 10 minutes max. Thus far, everything seems to be working 110%. Again, why do I have this phobia this has been far to easy? I noticed I downloaded a whopping 1.6mb of updates but as said, everything up to this point is going ok. Tell me what I've done right or wrong!!!???

Posts 1341
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 10:57 AM

Did you follow one of the methods outlined here?

http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 11:10 AM

Nope - just copied Logos 4 to my external HD then back to the new Laptop. I had read here and there about how to do it, but only remembered (or thought I did) something about doing it the way I did. What do you think of doing it the way I did and the fact that as of yet anyway, everything seems to be working flawlessly. Should I keep a Fire Extinguisher close by perchance something should burst into a ball of flame?

Posts 227
LogosEmployee
Mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 12:58 PM

Hello Bootjack,

I apologize for the difficulty. This method is not supported. I would encourage you to try the directions PL provided at your own risk, or re-install from www.logos.com/install (the supported method).

Mike

Faithlife Tech Support
Win Logs|Mac Logs|Training

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 21 2013 1:29 PM

I figured as much Mike. This seemed to be too easy. Upon reboot, Logos is no more there to my great dismay. And downloading 13 Gigs is a joy on a slow Internet which is supposed to be High Speed. It appears though, this will be the only way to do it correctly! :-)

Posts 24946
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:43 PM

Bootjack:
Logos is no more there to my great dismay. And downloading 13 Gigs is a joy on a slow Internet which is supposed to be High Speed. It appears though, this will be the only way to do it correctly! :-)

You were nearly there, just forgot to install it! But Method 2 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers  will avoid the download + indexing, whilst Method 3 will avoid downloading only but is more "correct"!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 2:48 AM

Dave, I thought I had installed it. The program had "prepared the Library" which was about 10 minutes or so and it worked without a flaw ... until I rebooted the machine and the program wasn't even there anymore.

Using Windows 8, I typed in Logos and nothing came up. I looked in the files and though some Logos files were there, there was nothing to start the program up again. I therefore downloaded it. Obviously now, I realize I probably didn't have to do that. But do you mind explaining what turn I took that was wrong and why the program worked to begin with ....

Posts 24946
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 7:29 PM

Bootjack:
But do you mind explaining what turn I took that was wrong and why the program worked to begin with ....

If you look at Method 2 or Method 3 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers you will see that you missed Step 2, which installs the Logos software and any necessary data (e.g. fonts), updates operating system software and stores information in the Registry about the software as a whole.

Copying the visible files/folders from an existing installation is insufficient as you would not include the data that Logos Prerequisites puts into special operating system folders (e.g. Fonts), nor would you include OS updates that (for example) the Read Aloud feature requires.

You were fortunate to start Logos initially but many other programs would refuse or crash!

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 732
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 23 2013 8:10 PM

Missed it by that much!!! Well, next time if there is a next time, I'll take your advice. Thanks Dave! 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS