Forum manners in an ideal world

Page 4 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 73 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:14 PM

Sleiman:

MJ. Smith:

George Somsel:
MJ, are you trying to create "the best of all possible worlds"?  We'll be bored out of our gourd.  Big Smile

and here I thought it was practicing for heaven.Wink

The Chairman of the Bored presiding over the winged babies with metal halos and harps over fluffy clouds might object to snarky comments like this. Wink

Snarky?  I thought it was funny.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:25 PM

George Somsel:
Snarky?  I thought it was funny.
It was.

<start spoiler alert>I thought that by referring to the boring images of heaven as depicted in some modern art (read: the chairman of the 'bored'), I'm ironically confirming that getting bored is practice for heaven! Therefore, saying that MJ's comment (or yours) is snarky in an ironic context means that I did not think so actually.</end spoiler alert>

{edit: what's more boring than that image of heaven is having to explain a failed attempt at a joke}

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:28 PM

Butters:

1)  But sooner or later the world is coming for us; it's already happening.  

2) So we ignore developments "on the street" at our peril.  

3) Moreover, it seems to me to be essentially Christian and good and true to be fully engaged with the world.  

1) True   2) True and 3) True.  [re 2 and 3 - do we fight all the fights or do we pick and chose which fights and maybe also when and where we fight?]

[Was going to say more but can not figure out how to say it with 100,000 people reading it]  

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:31 PM

Ok, Sleiman. I thought I had the worst possible reverse humor. But I was wrong.Wilted Flower

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:43 PM

I always smile when Christians from the West sigh, that the world is getting out of hand, and only poor behavior can realistically get it back on track (always in love of course).

And they do this using a New Testament for which scholars have trouble dating the writings, due to the NT interest in 'the world' being so limited.

This, with several reassurances that a universe-creator could conceivably deal with it, with the needed finesse.   

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:46 PM

Denise:

Ok, Sleiman. I thought I had the worst possible reverse humor. But I was wrong.Wilted Flower

Thanks! (I think)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:26 PM

TCBlack:

MJ. Smith:
, (very) shallow knowledge and inattentive listening.
The more I learn, the more I realize my knowledge is shallow.

Peace, Thomas!           *smile*                             Me, too!                                     

BTW, didn't someone somewhere write:  "

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:40 PM

Denise:

Ah, he got the rose.  Big Smile [Don't ask me the significance of that since I only heard it mentioned on the radio]

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 3:18 AM

I had held off reading this thread as I though initially it would just have been a whinge session, but enjoyed reading through it all yesterday and have some thoughts.

Forums, and specifically the Logos forums with Logos' (hoping everyone will remember they are Christians) clear instructions (paraphrased) to users "be nice to each other and only talk about Logos products" can be characterised like parents giving 'instructions' to kids to behave themselves in the back seat of cars Smile.

I don't know about you, but I was one of four — in the days before seat belts — and a trip in the car was more like world war three than a politely restrained United Nations discussion. Part of the strategy was knowing how far ones' parents could be pushed before things went thermonuclear. As DEFCON 1 was being approached we would all turn down the volume and stop whining to them and continue our battles staying under the radar, everyone being aware of the unpleasantness of mutual assured destruction (MAD).

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Fights-in-the-Car-171098526

From the parents' perspective the policy basically was — as long as no-one was being strangled, and blood was not being splattered all over the back seat, and the noise was kept to a dull roar, then they would feign benign disinterest.

Sound familiar? And no, I'm not talking about your childhood car trips with siblings.

If Logos held strictly to it's policy of keeping discussions focused only on Logos Bible Software then the forums really would be a tumbleweed alley. As it is, when the (cough) kids play up and things are heating up to DEFCON 1, they can simply quote their (selectively enforced) rule and say "it's in the Forum Guidelines!" as they act parental and cool things down. Fortunately the Logos team exhibit a fair degree of parental long suffering!

So... given that there is a general policy of avoiding MAD between 'combatants' (forum users) , one would hope that when there are differing points of view offered that people would:

• in the case of beliefs and articles of faith listen and try and see what it is which may attract the other person to that belief (as crazy as that belief may seem!)
  • in the case of presenting facts and/or logical arguments (arguments, not fights) then if one is going to try to refute them then that is done by directing ones' guns at the argument, not the person.

This would mean that devices such as the so-called 'fallacy hound', which usually does not make the effort to address and refute points being raised, but simply attempts to belittle the deliverer, should be banned by mutual assent.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:30 AM

Patrick S.:
This would mean that devices such as the so-called 'fallacy hound', which usually does not make the effort to address and refute points being raised, but simply attempts to belittle the deliverer, should be banned by mutual assent.

Fallacy hound feels grossly misunderstood as he has no intent to belittle anyone ... in fact, fallacy hound is careful not to indicate whose fallacy he is on the trail of as there have been multiple, generally ad hominem variations, before he sneaks out from behind the bushes,  Fallacy hound agrees whole heartedly with your emphasis on listening, persuasion and logical arguments ... but even when fallacy hound gets to ride in the pickup, he doesn't like verbal abuse ... his parents (and pack) didn't allow it to reach the point of hurtful even in the back seat on long trips.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:58 AM

MJ. Smith:

Fallacy hound feels grossly misunderstood as he has no intent to belittle anyone ... 

Smile Prov 27:17 

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 2467
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 4:05 PM

Regarding use of certain canine devices, I would advise a healthy dose of restraint and self-examination, as Patrick S. points out.

One need only note a recent flag of "atrocious logic" and how fast it went downhill from there.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 6:19 PM

Very interesting that real adults are concerned about a picture of a dog. Kids in a car. Logos portrayed as parents. Bob? Dan? Can Logos afford to keep a surreal thread on its servers??

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 6:27 AM

Denise:
Can Logos afford to keep a surreal thread on its servers??
There are a few actually. Most of them I will gleefully blame on Halo Hound.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Page 4 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS