slow on ipad , intermittent problems on mac , have you invested the same quality in the mac version

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 25 2013 3:57 AM

how comes the cheap and free bible software is really fast and logos on my ipad is terribly unpractical , i love logos and hace used it for years , but on my mac as well you do get regular intermittent problems , there is a lot more room for improvement on the ipad and mac , certainly when i use it , like i say i do love it , i click on esword or olive tree on ipad they just come on , logos not so , its slow , i tried downloading everything but it seem to never do it , tried downloading on esword bibles and others and its minutes , i love logos on my mac , but there is room for improvement , i think maybe the mac version maybe have a lot less time spent on it , dont know , 

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 4:51 AM

Is there a question here?

Darren peter wright:
i think maybe the mac version maybe have a lot less time spent on it , dont know

Believe you are incorrect in your assumption. Certainly there is room for improvement in L5 Mac, but there is also much room for improvement in L5 Win.

Darren peter wright:
how comes the cheap and free bible software is really fast and logos on my ipad is terribly unpractical

Cheap is fast because it does not do much. Why is Logos on your iPad unpractical? Quite a few of us use it successfully.

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:04 AM

Enjoy logos but I do get some regular problems with it ,

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:12 AM

so is that why logos is slower because it does more than the cheap ones ,

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:18 AM

i dont know if its dependent on internet strength , i have tried download it all so i dont have to rely on internet , on mac its always downloading and indexing alot and it goes really slow , when i try to use pointer to change bible to copy from the box that come up to choose bible dissapears once i move my pointer from the option to change bible , i love using it but i dod have my battles ,i sincerely was concerned that the mac version does noit get the same time and investment , or is windows just the same , like i say i do like it , is it just because it has a lot more than the cheap ones that it has these problems they dont ,

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 5:37 AM

is ipad logos dependent on internet speed , i just clicked on vines and it took about five minutes to come on , please dont get defensive , i sincerely was concerned that the mac versions have lest investment because of problems i get , and with it been very expensive i do have concern , really like it but do wonder if these problems could be resolved with time and labour , 

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:08 AM

Darren peter wright:

so is that why logos is slower because it does more than the cheap ones ,

That would be part of the reason. Other reasons my be Bob Pritchett's (Logos CEO) philosophy of code first, optimize later. Much depends on your internet speed. Will admit that Logos on iPad is a bit cumbersome, but once the desired resources are loaded, it moves reasonably fast.

Darren peter wright:
 i sincerely was concerned that the mac versions have lest investment because of problems i get

Logos was originally developed as a Windows application and got a rather slow start with the Mac OS, but in the last few years, the have made great progress. Believe they now have more developers working on the Mac OS than on Windows.

Darren peter wright:
when i try to use pointer to change bible to copy from the box that come up to choose bible dissapears once i move my pointer from the option to change bible

Not really sure what you are saying here. Could you give me more details?

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:11 AM

The whole" Logos is slow because it does so much and, fast programs are cheap and do little" is a horrible and disrespectful argument , on top of that, it's just plain wrong.

The reason Logos is slow/er on macs is because there is another layer of code (.net) that gets in the way.

Accordance is NOT cheap software and, it will do "work" logos can do and do so in milliseconds .

I do not even use Logos for complex Search, Original language work and several other things because this 
expensive" software just cannot handle the work loads. 

So please, don't be disrespectful to people if you are a logos "fan".
I'm an Apple "nut" but at the same time, I am respectful to those that Own Windows, respectful of Mircrosoft and, I work on both platforms.

The slowness and stability issues of Logos are , pure and simple, problems with Logos being able to write proper code.

I have and use regularly , software a hundred times more complicated than any Bible software and, inefficiency is not tolerated . Either your software works properly or, you are out of business quickly.

It is only in the area of bible software that I see this "making excuses for companies" taking place ( well, other than apple fanboys-smile).

I use logos, as does everyone here, but i understand and accept it is inferior software and in all likelihood will remain so as they have no reason to change it. They are making money, Logos has the market with publishers, people will accept it does not work well because Logos is the only way to get most of the titles needed. Thus, there is no reason for Logos to change their system of doing thing, it's working for them.

We all understand that, we know it, on Windows or Mac, Logos is the least efficient and most problematic software we own.

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:19 AM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
The whole" Logos is slow because it does so much and, fast programs are cheap and do little" is a horrible and disrespectful argument , on top of that, it's just plain wrong.

Then we disagree.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
Accordance is NOT cheap software and, it will do "work" logos can do and do so in milliseconds .

Accordance was not part of this conversation.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
So please, don't be disrespectful to people if you are a logos "fan".

I am not a Logos fan, as you are so prone to make this accusation against anyone who disagrees with you. For you to accuse me of this reveals that you have not taken time to really read many of my posts criticizing Logos on many occasions.

I have long known that you prefer Accordance to Logos and that you are antagonistic toward those of us who prefer Logos to Accordance. Frankly, your rant here has done nothing to assist Darren. And neither did my initial response to his first post

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:25 AM

Darren peter wright:
is ipad logos dependent on internet speed , i just clicked on vines and it took about five minutes to come on

That seems quite unusual. Were you attempting to open the resource or to download it? Either one should have been faster than this, but downloading will take longer than just opening.

Darren peter wright:
do wonder if these problems could be resolved with time and labour

We seem to be talking in two directions here, about both Logos for iPad and L5 for Mac. We have seen a great deal of improvement in L5 for Mac in the past few months. However, some user have experienced much more difficulty than others. Logos continues to work on these issues.

My experience with Logos for iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) is relatively recent, having acquired my first iPad last Christmas and an iPhone two months ago. 

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:29 AM

Darren peter wright:
i have tried download it all so i dont have to rely on internet

If you are talking about iPad here, that seems an extreme option. Which iPad are you using? what is the total memory?

Darren peter wright:
on mac its always downloading and indexing alot and it goes really slow

There have been a lot of updates lately. What Mac OS are you using? What are the specs on your Mac?

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 6:54 AM

jac. I have been "over-all" appreciative of Logos 5 as well as your posts.

To be honest, i didn't even know who posted the above mentioned comments about "cheap" software.

FWIW: Some of the finest software in the world is inexpensive, open source etc.

My point was simply that Logos does not put an emphasis on speed and efficiency , that not their deal.

As to my preferences, though I have none and have made that quite plain in the past, you throw that up.
Its still not true.
These are just tools, that all, nothing more.

My preferred library tool is Logos, my preferred Biblical Search tool is Accordance- "together" they make up one Biblical Research Tool for me.

I just don't like it when Apple people take unfair shots at Microsoft or , the other way around. Same with software.

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 10:54 AM

i use mac and ipad now used to use windows , how can i make it faster on ipad , i wonder if its because its dependent on my internet , i do really like it just for frustrated and wondered if mac version is just in survival mode at times

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 10:59 AM

what is accordance never heard of it , have not read any posts for a long time apart from your reply , i loke logos its all i mainly use , just when i have battles with it sometimes i use one of the cheaper ones . say on ipad , i find it slow , but its maybe internet, please dont be upset, just forgive me . 

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 11:03 AM

i have has amazing studies and blessing , sometime i just get frustrated sorry for harm

Posts 172
Darren peter wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 11:08 AM

the ipad is just the basic one . with mac i changed ram to 8 gb , thinking maybe get a new mac or buy solid state hard drive to help it , it does work great on mac but every so often i just have struggles , thank you anyway

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 12:29 PM

Darren peter wright:
what is accordance never heard of it

Accordance is Logos' only real competition on a Mac. It is a native Mac application and is very fast. It does not have nearly as many resources as are available for Logos. Like Logos resources are expensive. For some operations, it is actually better than Logos, but overall Logos is far better, at least that is the way I see the comparison, others have different opinions Geeked

Darren peter wright:
please dont be upset, just forgive me .

Darren, you have no need to apologize. Truly, I need to apologize for my harsh reply to your original post.

Darren peter wright:
i find it slow , but its maybe internet

Perhaps it is your internet connection, but I can't say for sure without some definite information. 

May you could try contacting Logos Technical Support. Are you located in a place where you can call them?

Posts 29804
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 12:30 PM

Darren peter wright:
how can i make it faster on ipad , i wonder if its because its dependent on my internet

The mobile apps are heavily dependent upon the internet. With that said, I still don't know exactly what your issue is. It might help if you use concise, bulleted points.

1. Resources may be accessed from the cloud. When done so, your internet connection would have a significant bearing on your ability to access resources quickly.
  2. Resources may be downloaded. Your internet will have a significant bearing on how quickly this can be done.
  3. Under most circumstances, I do not recommend downloading your entire library, but rather download books as needed.
  4. Any "guides" or "word search" features require internet. If yours is slow, so will the app.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 12:34 PM

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
jac. I have been "over-all" appreciative of Logos 5 as well as your posts.

I have no desire to become involved in an argument with you. In fact, I apologize for the tone of my response.

Fr. Charles R. Matheny:
FWIW: Some of the finest software in the world is inexpensive, open source etc.

For the record, I did not say that cheap software was poor software. I said that it did less than Logos does. Darren mentioned eSword and Olive Tree. No matter how well written they may be, they are obviously less capable than Logos.

Posts 757
Fr. Charles R. Matheny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 25 2013 10:15 PM

Darren: You have nothing to apologize for. Just didn't think it fair to belittle other software when all you were doing was showing your ipad worked fine with other software , came to a crawl with Logos.

You have gotten good advice since them, of which I am glad.

One thing not mentioned, that has been of use to me is: "Hard reboot" of iPad . You hold down the power switch and the home button at the same time, it will go off, then apple logo comes back on, then goes back off, then release the buttons. Turn power back on, see if that helped.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS