FREE book John MacArthur Strange Fire by mail

Page 2 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 69 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 11:07 AM

The John MacArthur theology adjustment tool:

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 11:27 AM

Friendly reminder: this venue is not intended for theological debate. Let's bring it back to the topic at hand.

In reference to Burce's comment:

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks Paul. I missed that. I checked Logos but forgot to check Vyrso. Actually I wish that there was a way to search both Logos and Vyrso at the same time but that is another topic.

That sounds like a useful improvement. I'm going to poke around a little and see if this might be in the works somewhere.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 1:12 PM

RayDeck3:
Friendly reminder: this venue is not intended for theological debate. Let's bring it back to the topic at hand.

Actually, I don't see a theological debate here. What is see is a discussion of an author's viewpoint, an author who is quite prominent in Logos. Therefore, I respectfully disagree with your caution. I personally see nothing wrong with pointing out such disagreements. If this is not permitted, why did Logos institute reviews for its resources. Are all critical reviews off-base. Should we only supply reviews that read like the publisher's marketing hype.

This is nothing like the kind of personal attacks disguised as theological debate that prompted the forum guidelines.

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:46 PM

RayDeck3:

Bruce Dunning:

Thanks Paul. I missed that. I checked Logos but forgot to check Vyrso. Actually I wish that there was a way to search both Logos and Vyrso at the same time but that is another topic.

That sounds like a useful improvement. I'm going to poke around a little and see if this might be in the works somewhere.

I appreciate you looking into this. I think it would be a great enhancement and it may not be a lot of work to accomplish.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9281
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:49 PM

Jack Caviness:

RayDeck3:

Actually, I don't see a theological debate here. What is see is a discussion of an author's viewpoint, an author who is quite prominent in Logos. Therefore, I respectfully disagree with your caution. I personally see nothing wrong with pointing out such disagreements. If this is not permitted, why did Logos institute reviews for its resources. Are all critical reviews off-base. Should we only supply reviews that read like the publisher's marketing hype.

This is nothing like the kind of personal attacks disguised as theological debate that prompted the forum guidelines.

I agree with you about this Jack. You bring up a good point. When does a review turn into a theological debate? I don't think we will ever be able to clearly define this line nor do I think that we should try.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 27 2013 4:06 PM

Reading the exert from the book at Amazon, it is classic MacArthur tell it like it is no punches pulled.

Posts 308
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 4:09 AM

Wild Eagle:

The reason why I am so strong against this author is because he criticizes the whole denomination based on some flaws which happens in some churches And among well known preachers  

imagine if the Corinthian church would be in the 21st century, where the gifts of Holy Sprit were manifested and at the same time lots of flaws: some members are sleeping with parents, adultery, and other works of the flesh. MacArthur would defenetly say that it's a strange fire and the work of Holy Spirit cannot be present there. It would be included in his book. That's why I call him "anti-Holy Spirit", looking at the flaws he can easily replace the work of Holy Spirit a with strange fire. 

PS: I do not want theological debate, I just wanted to express my opinion about the author. Sorry if I crossed the line

Unfortunately I'm coming to expect these kinds of comments. There were comments on the thread looking for Arminian commentaries from people in disagreement. Ditto with the Tim LaHaye books. I tend to agree with you on MacArthur, but I think we need to learn to bite our tongues when we see authors/positions represented that we don't like.

Posts 10743
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 28 2013 5:00 AM

Dean053:
I think we need to learn to bite our tongues when we see authors/positions represented that we don't like.

Logos publishes lots of material from people with whom I disagree, but I have only written a review on one. If you don't want the resource, then do not purchase it, but have some respect for others who may disagree with you and believe the resource is worth-while.

Posts 236
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:07 AM

I have to agree with you completely! Westboro Baptist Church is 5 point Calvinist but we won't measure all Calvinists by the WBC's "Strange Fire"!

Posts 2
Oun J Kwon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:27 PM

Thank you, Mike.

I appreciate its free offer. Truth has to be spread without anything in the way. Hop it would be also in e-book format (to help search and find).

Posts 23205
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:42 PM

Hi Oun J Kwon - and welcome to the forums

Oun J Kwon:
Hop it would be also in e-book format (to help search and find).

Paul's comment (http://community.logos.com/forums/p/74454/520083.aspx#520083) about it being on pre-pub in Vyrso (one of Logos' book stores) indicates it will be available in Logos-compatible format so will be searchable etc

As per his post, you can pre-order it at http://vyrso.com/product/31955/strange-fire-the-danger-of-offending-the-holy-spirit-with-counterfeit-worship

Graham 

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 2 2013 7:17 PM

anyone here attending "Strange Fire" conference ?

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:42 AM

Thanks, Mike, for bringing this offer to our attention.

Bill

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 1:02 AM

John MacArthur agrees with Gordon D. Fee on his video here.. 

Fast forward on 8:00 mark

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 3:11 AM

The above is a thinly veiled, deceptive attempt to draw interested charismatics (or pentecostals) to see exactly what positive remark Rev MacArthur (cessationist) would possibly say about Gordon Fee (non-cessationist).

This attempt deserves condemnation. Because if MacArthur is saying something worthy of repeating, one should repeat it in a honest, upright way. But the poster above attempts to further stoke theological debate here by another push of the envelope.

Let me say it now: around 8:00, Rev MacArthur cites Fee's comment that hermeneutics is often practised badly in charismatic circles. That's what Rev MacArthur was "agreeing with". That's what the poster wanted you all to hear, without saying it.

I want to say 2 things:

1. If theological debate on topics like cessationism are not welcome on these Forums, please do not provoke or stoke debate.

2. Rev MacArthur's remark around 8:00 - 8:20 bears quoting:

• Pentecostals and charismatics do not operate on sound hermeneutics. They do not. Poor principles of hermeneutics show up in this movement everywhere, as they do in other movements. (emphasis mine).

So please "take heed unto yourselves" and post within Forum guidelines.

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 3:58 AM

I'm sorry, but my point wasn't to start a debate, I was just referring that both MacArthur & Fee have something in common despite of their background. 

and "that" something in common is what being discussed in the book Strange Fire.

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 4:29 AM

You don't fool me for a minute.

This is not the place for debate. Debate all you want, promote cessationism if you want, but not here.

Posts 1898
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 5:23 AM

Cessationism is what being discussed in the book & the video. I do not agree with Cessationism.

Stop imposing judgement that I want to stir a debate. The more you talk about it, the more people want to debate about it.. So you should stop fueling the fire.

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 5:35 AM

You are not doing Rev MacArthur any favours.

The book is fine, but your sneaky trojan-horse approach is not.

I am reporting your posts as an abuse of this forum.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 10 2013 6:32 AM

James Chandler:
I don't agree with all he says, but he has been gifted by God.

In Him,

Jim

I quite agree.

If I had to get rid of every author in my Logos library that I have a disagreement with I would have a tiny library. For various reasons I see value in reading divergent authors. I have most books penned by MacArthur and published in Logos (including the Moody titles.) I also have Jimmy Swaggart's Lifeworks Library. Yet, while I belong to neither camp, I have learned from both.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 2 of 4 (70 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS