Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics—Update?

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 87 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 29 2013 7:04 PM

For the many of us that already own Dan Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics will we receive an update with the recently released Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection (35 vols.)? At least updated cover art? 

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 5:34 AM

I ordered the Zondervan collection minus Greek Grammar because I already owned it but the links in the other Greek resources to Greek Grammar don't work with the old Greek Grammar.  Do I have to buy the same book twice for the links to work? 

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:00 AM

John Brumett:

I ordered the Zondervan collection minus Greek Grammar because I already owned it but the links in the other Greek resources to Greek Grammar don't work with the old Greek Grammar.  Do I have to buy the same book twice for the links to work? 

That's an interesting comment which I want to make sure I understand. So you already have the new collection, and links in its other resources to the older GGBTB do not work? Do you know for sure that they work with the new version of GGBTB? If so, I'd personally be making a call to customer support to get that corrected.

Thanks for this information,

Donnie

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:15 AM

Updated GGBB? When I talked with Dan Wallace and Verlyn Verbrugge a year-and-a-half or so ago at a Regional ETS conference, Dan said it would be ~5 years before a new edition of GGBB would be out.

(I know they are mining the Fathers and other Koine literature - LXX, I assume, as well as Josephus and Philo, I'd guess - for a more extensive database of examples.)

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:48 AM

Donnie Hale:
So you already have the new collection, and links in its other resources to the older GGBTB do not work?

That is exactly correct. I did not get an updated GGBTB as I had it as well; as you can see from this picture, a link to GGBTB in another of the Zondervan package brings up a page saying I don't own the resource, yet you can see in the panel below it i DO own the resource - the problem appears to be, Logos changed the file name of the resource so the link does not work. Logos need to fix this I presume?

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 7:59 AM

I don't own these resources and am not fully following… Have you tried the command update resources?

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:26 AM

alabama24:

I don't own these resources and am not fully following… Have you tried the command update resources?

Yes. I received the Zondervan Biblical Languages UPGRADE purchase, it did not include the GGBTB, ostensibly because we already have it and ordered this collection without it for a slightly cheaper price. However, it appears Logos changed the filename of GGBTB, so the links to GGBTB in the rest of the Collection do not work with the version of GGBTB that "upgraders" have (which as others have posted, is actually the same version of what the author wrote). Does that help articulate the problem?

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:30 AM

Thanks for clarifying. Have you tried using the "hide" feature for the resource, and then unhiding it? (I know that you shouldn't have to do this… just trying to brainstorm a duck tape fix.)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:33 AM
I don't think "update resources" will work since it has a different ID? I have the older file... and I didn't receive the new one. Martin.
Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 8:43 AM

This is an oversight that Logos needs to fix. The easy way to fix it is to download the new file to everyone that has the old file.

As it stands now everyone who got the money saving upgrade has a broken set of tools.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:09 AM

Im sure the update will come in time.

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 10:40 AM

Eric Weiss:
Updated GGBB? When I talked with Dan Wallace and Verlyn Verbrugge a year-and-a-half or so ago at a Regional ETS conference, Dan said it would be ~5 years before a new edition of GGBB would be out.

We're not referring to a new version of the GGBTB from Wallace. We're referring to an updated version of the resource from Logos, which was apparently included with the Zondervan collection that just came out (but was not, as of yet, automatically provided to existing owners of the GGBTB resource). Pretty much the way Logos updates resources from time to time...

Donnie

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 11:52 AM

alabama24:

Thanks for clarifying. Have you tried using the "hide" feature for the resource, and then unhiding it? (I know that you shouldn't have to do this… just trying to brainstorm a duck tape fix.)

Others may have inferred this, but Hide/Unhide won't work as it has a different resource name. Yet the true book has not changed, it's just an electronic anomaly of Zondervan reissuing a new bundle (or Logos, whoever...)

I wonder if Logos will comment on this issue for us? It is truly a problem that needs to be corrected.

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 12:46 PM

Don Awalt:
I wonder if Logos will comment on this issue for us? It is truly a problem that needs to be corrected.

That was the reason in my first reply that I specifically mentioned a phone call to customer support.

Donnie

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:21 PM

This is an odd one. I'm looking into it.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:51 PM

Thanks Ray!

Posts 514
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 2:28 PM

Ray,

Any update on this yet?

Posts 407
Ray from Faithlife | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 9:39 AM

John Brumett:

Do I have to buy the same book twice for the links to work? 

The short answer is: no. 

I'll email you the long answer.

RD3

Logos Marketing | ray.deck@logos.com

Posts 1562
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 9:52 AM

Ray,

Can you email me the long answer as well?

Thanks!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 10:05 AM

RayDeck3:
I'll email you the long answer.

Can you send me that email too?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 5 (88 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS