kindle fire navigation problems

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Janet MacDonald | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Aug 30 2013 3:58 AM

I am new to Biblia.  I've had no problems with it on my laptop, but a LOT of problems on my Android phone (Galaxy S3) & Kindle.  The navigation on either is very difficult and is almost impossible on the Kindle.  I cannot find any tutorial for the Kindle -- it seems to be just for Android -- and the instructions don't match up with what is visible on my tablet.  There are times when I simply get stuck in a mode and can't seem to get back to my bible study or bible.  Also, when I highlight or notate on my Kindle, are those supposed to sync with my laptop?  I haven't found that to happen.  Thank you?

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 5:28 AM

Hi Janet

i don't use Biblia much on my Android phone but dont really have navigation problems when I do. Can you provide some more specific examples?

how are you highlighting in your Kindle? I wasn't aware you could do that in Biblia.

Are you aware you can get a Logos app for the Android devices (it runs on Kindle fire as well) which would provide more functionality tHan on Biblia? Highlighting in those apps should be synced to your desktop application.

Graham

Posts 5
Janet MacDonald | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 5:55 AM

Obviously I'm new!  I'm not making a distinction between Biblia and Logos because I think of them as the same -- I don't know what the distinction is.  I thought Logos was the company and Biblia was simply the app.  In any case, I've downloaded Logos on my laptop, phone and Kindle.  The navigation is erratic.  If I swipe from the bottom, al the functions are greyed out except Favorites.  If I swipe from the top, I don't get much in the way of functions. Very often swiping and tapping don't work at all; most of the time I have to try multiple times. 

If I wind up somehow in only the Bible scripture window, there doesn't seem to be a way back to the split scripture/study windows.  I also can't find a way to select my bible preference on the Kindle.  In addition, I do a lot of highlighting on the Kindle and nothing appears on my laptop -- nothing on the Android phone either.  And, like I said, the tutorials for the Kindle don't seem to exist. I've tried to find them using my laptop and the links to Kindle tutorials just take me to the Android tutorials.  The instructions for the Android don't apply well to the Kindle.

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:19 AM

Janet MacDonald:
Obviously I'm new! 

And very welcome to these forumsSmile

Janet MacDonald:
I'm not making a distinction between Biblia and Logos because I think of them as the same -- I don't know what the distinction is.  I thought Logos was the company and Biblia was simply the app

Logos is the company and they provide digital resources and a range of means to access them.

These include:

• an application to run on either Windows or Mac environments. This is the application which provides the most functionality and most geared towards serious study
  • a range of mobile applications - the Bible!, Vyrso, Faithlife and Verbum apps - which are available on both iOS and Android environments.
  • biblia.com which provides access to your resources through a web-browser - I tend to only use this when I don't have access to my desktop or mobile phone environments.

Janet MacDonald:
In any case, I've downloaded Logos on my laptop, phone and Kindle. 

Ok - so you aren't actually using "Biblia" (unless you are using the Spanish version of the mobile app!) but different applications for the different platforms.

What versions of the software are you using on each device and what OS are you running on your laptop?

Janet MacDonald:
The navigation is erratic.  If I swipe from the bottom, al the functions are greyed out except Favorites

What functions are visible? I can see "Passage Guide", "Comparison", "Search", "Add Note", "Share" and "Add to Favorites". 

Is what you are describing what you see on both your phone and Kindle? Do you have a connection to the Internet when you are doing this?

Janet MacDonald:
If I swipe from the top, I don't get much in the way of functions

Here you should get a verse picker and a small "i" in the top right which - if you press it - provides information about the resource.

Janet MacDonald:
 Very often swiping and tapping don't work at all; most of the time I have to try multiple times. 

That is strange and sounds more like a device issue than an app issue.

Janet MacDonald:
 If I wind up somehow in only the Bible scripture window, there doesn't seem to be a way back to the split scripture/study windows.

Can you provide a bit more context here? It sounds as though you have split the screen (dragging the small semi-circle in the corner towards the centre) and can't move it back. Is that correct or am I missing your point?

Janet MacDonald:
I also can't find a way to select my bible preference on the Kindle.

I don't have a Kindle device but on my Android phone I can set the Bible preference by pressing the menu button, then pressing the "settings wheel" at the top right, choosing "Settings" and then modifying the "Preferred Bible" settings.

Janet MacDonald:
In addition, I do a lot of highlighting on the Kindle and nothing appears on my laptop -- nothing on the Android phone either.

Assuming you are highlighting in the Logos app on the Kindle Fire then highlights should appear on your laptop and Android phone (assuming each device is logged in using the same credentials). However, there have been some issues in this area which is one of the reasons I was enquiring about software versions above.

Janet MacDonald:
And, like I said, the tutorials for the Kindle don't seem to exist. I've tried to find them using my laptop and the links to Kindle tutorials just take me to the Android tutorials.  The instructions for the Android don't apply well to the Kindle.

With the same app running on Kindle Fire as Android I doubt if Logos are going to produce different versions of the tutorials but if they don't match up hopefully they will look at it.

Hope this helps

Graham 

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:24 AM

Hi Janet

One more thing I should have mentioned. If you are having Android-specific issues (which it sounds like you may be) we may want to move the discussion across to the Android forum at http://community.logos.com/forums/96.aspx

Graham 

Posts 5
Janet MacDonald | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 3:54 PM

Golly.  A lot of issues to address. 

First, on my phone when I went to the Play Store, there were no apps when I searched for Biblia.  I found the Logos Bible software.  I tried to load Vyrso but after 15 minutes it was oly 2% done so I exited.  On the other hand, for Kindle, I search Amazon's appstore and found Biblia but upon selection I got "Biblia by Logos", same icon.  So I assume they are the same thing.  Like I said, I've been confused by thegrey area that is Logos vs Biblia because of these app stores.

Second, I'm running XP on my laptop, JellyBean on my Samsung Galaxy S3, and the Android on Kindle I know is not pure Android and that's why the Logos site says it's different and says to use the Android tutorials for Kindle but........they're different windows that appear.  There is no "settings wheel" on the Kindle in the app.  There is no "little circle" to move around.  What you listed as functions at the bottom of the window are the same functions that I see, but they are all grey'd out except "Favorites".  HIghlighting is wonderful on the Kindle -- doesn't appear on the laptop or phone though.

When I swipe down, I get what you describe, but if I select anything, there is no way of getting back to my original window.  Likewise with the split window that I get with the Notes on the left, the scripture in the middle and my bible study on the right.  Move away from that window and i can't get back to it.  It's all very frustrating.  And nothing seems to sync.

Not to elevate myself, but to let you know that I'm not compute illiterate, I managed the admin computer systems at a university for 10 years.  I just find this software on the Kindle and phone to not be "user ready"!  I've paid $46 for this bible study on Logos and it's a mess.  Back to paper -- which will cost another $50!

I truly appreciate your efforts to help out.  You have verified that Logos is the company and Biblia the software although I don't know why the appstore calls it Logos Bible Software.  (Sigh)  Not sure I answered all your questions, but I appreciate the time you spent tryng to answer mine!

Isn't technology a hoot!  Smile  Logos has some serious work to do on this app.

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 30 2013 11:38 PM

Hi Janet

Janet MacDonald:
Golly.  A lot of issues to address. 

But we'll get thereSmile

Janet MacDonald:
First, on my phone when I went to the Play Store, there were no apps when I searched for Biblia.  I found the Logos Bible software.  I tried to load Vyrso but after 15 minutes it was oly 2% done so I exited.  On the other hand, for Kindle, I search Amazon's appstore and found Biblia but upon selection I got "Biblia by Logos", same icon.  So I assume they are the same thing.  Like I said, I've been confused by thegrey area that is Logos vs Biblia because of these app stores.

The post at http://community.logos.com/forums/t/73940.aspx shows that there are five mobile apps available for Amazon devices

• Bible is the "standard" base app for use of Logos resources
  • Biblia is a Spanish version (there is also a Biblia website which caused some of the original confusion in our discussion above)
  • Faithlife is specifically targeted at those accessing the Faithlife community resources (think social networking around Logos products)
  • Verbum is the most recent app and targeted at Catholic users (though many from other traditions have found it useful)
  • Vyrso is the simplest "ereader" and often used by those who mainly want to purchase resource from Logos' Vyrso story - www.vyrso.com

These also seem to be available in the Amazon app store (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Dmobile-apps&field-keywords=logos+bible+software&sprefix=logo%2Cmobile-apps%2C224). You will also see "Proclaim Remote" which is linked to their Presentation Software

Janet MacDonald:
There is no "settings wheel" on the Kindle in the app.  There is no "little circle" to move around.  What you listed as functions at the bottom of the window are the same functions that I see, but they are all grey'd out except "Favorites".  HIghlighting is wonderful on the Kindle -- doesn't appear on the laptop or phone though.

Sounds very strange - but I don't know anything about the Kindle Fire implementation. I suggest you create a new thread talking about your Kindle Fire specific issues in http://community.logos.com/forums/96.aspx. There are people in that forum who use the Logos apps on Kindle Fire and will be able to comment.

Janet MacDonald:
Not to elevate myself, but to let you know that I'm not compute illiterate, I managed the admin computer systems at a university for 10 years.  I just find this software on the Kindle and phone to not be "user ready"!  

People do find there is a learning curve with some of the Logos software but the things we are talking about here should work - hence my suggestion that you create a specific thread in the Android forum.

Janet MacDonald:
I've paid $46 for this bible study on Logos and it's a mess

Are you able to clarify what you have actually purchased? $46 isn't an "entry price" that I recognise. I have seem your post in another thread about using some of the Catholic products and just trying to verify what resources you have.

I assume you are running the free Logos 4 version of the software on your laptop. Is that correct?

Janet MacDonald:
You have verified that Logos is the company and Biblia the software although I don't know why the appstore calls it Logos Bible Software

No - sorrySmile

Logos is the company and - as above - they provide multiple apps for mobile devices designed to fit with different groups of users. So all apps available in the appstore are shown as being produced by "Logos Bible Software"

Janet MacDonald:
Not sure I answered all your questions, but I appreciate the time you spent tryng to answer mine!

You are very welcome.

Janet MacDonald:
  Logos has some serious work to do on this app.

There is some work to be done but the things which you are trying to do here should work fine.

Graham 

Posts 22378
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 31 2013 12:51 AM

Hi Janet

Janet MacDonald:
There is no "settings wheel" on the Kindle in the app.  There is no "little circle" to move around.  What you listed as functions at the bottom of the window are the same functions that I see, but they are all grey'd out except "Favorites".

Just been thinking about this a bit more and downloaded the "Biblia" app to try out.

I get what you are seeing - just access to favourites - if I run the app without logging in using my Logos credentials.

Do you have a Logos account and are you using it when you run the apps?

Graham 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS