Choosing my Mac

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 31 2013 9:47 PM

I've finally made the decision to migrate to Mac from PC and just thought i would try to get some input from Logos users who are currently using the mac platform.  I'm fairly committed to a Macbook Pro, but I am debating between the following two options:

1. 13-inch: 2.9GHz

• 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Built-in battery (7 hours)2

2. 15-inch: 2.3GHz

• 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
  • 4GB 1600MHz memory
  • 500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

The screen size isn't really an issue for me, so my biggest question is this:  Should i opt for the lesser processor in order to have more hard drive space and ram, or should I sacrifice ram and hard drive space for the quad core processor?  Which configuration gives me the best bang for my buck, and which will do the best job of running Logos (i'm currently running L5 Silver, plus a few add ons)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:56 AM

These are the current build MacBook models? 13" high = $1499 15" base = $1799? Why not consider a 13" MacBook Air build-to-order option 1.7 Dual Core, 8GB RAM with standard 256GB flash storage drive for $1,549.

Logos is a 'hybrid' app - meaning it has a Mac UI coded natively (but not in standard way) in OS X but a data access engine built using a run-time translation layer Mono, built on top of an abstraction layer .NET (so it is actually running Windows code, ugh). Bottom line — you will never get as good a performance as a 'built from the ground up' native OS X application — and there are native OS X Bible applications out there.

Having said that obviously people are buying into Logos for the library, the way of working and the tools in the software.

So understanding all the above what's most important for performance for Logos?

CPU — as long as it is modern enough to enable the computer in total to perform snappily because Logos being a bit sluggish needs that, is not the deciding factor. Logos, apart from when it is indexing, does not make full use of all processor cores, actual or hyper threaded, it is not even a 64 bit application, only 32 bit.

Memory — you can never have too much memory, the Mac generally, and Logos will benefit. 4GB is starting to get a bit on the low side, especially as we move into new version of OS X — Mavericks.

Disk access — bang for buck this is important for Logos as it does a lot of disk access. Pls note the standard HDD drives in the non-Retina MacBook Pros are only 5400 RPM — that is not blazingly fast.

If I was you and I was investing between 1,500 to 1,700 on a machine this is what I would do:

• Go for the best processor you can get (this can't be upgraded later)
  • Go for the most RAM you can get (definitely on the MacBook Air cannot be increased later, not sure about the Pros)
  • Switch to SSD storage — if you want more storage capacity you can always add a (large) Thunderbolt external drive later with transfer speeds as good as an internal traditional HDD.

Which means I would go for a MacBook Air — I believe they alone still have the later version Intel CPUs also which are more power saving and they are simply superb machines. And given that you are not looking at the Retina model$$ the screen resolution (DPI) is not a deciding factor.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:22 AM

Patrick S.:
These are the current build MacBook models? 13" high = $1499 15" base = $1799? Why not consider a 13" MacBook Air build-to-order option 1.7 Dual Core, 8GB RAM with standard 256GB flash storage drive for $1,549.

Apple offers refurbished Mac models => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac 

Macbook Air June 2012 model with 13", 2.0 GHz i7, 8 GB Ram, and 512 GB SSD is $ 1,449 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ND2LL/A/refurbished-macbook-air-20ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i7

MacBook Pro Feb 2103 model with 13" Retina Display, 2.6 GH i5, 8 GB Ram, and 256 GB SSD is $ 1,439 => http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE662LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

Personally watching for refurbished models with 4th Generation Intel i5 and i7 CPU's.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 7:42 AM

Nicholas,

I have the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro (2.9 GHz i7, 8GB) with a 256 GB SSD. I recommend the SSD above all other considerations. The hard disk is the only thing that would "hold back" either of the systems you list from running Logos (and everything else) really, really fast.

If you need a lot of storage, I recommend getting a smaller SSD (maybe 128 GB) in the MacBook Pro and investing in a solid external storage solution.

Logos is plenty clunky on its own (it's always the slowest piece of software on my Mac), but it runs well enough (one might even describe it as "fast") with the SSD. I can't imagine running it on a spinning hard disk. I think it'd drive me insane.

Enjoy your new Mac!

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:44 AM

I concur that I would recommend the Macbook Air 13" w/SSD over the Pro without SSD. The SSD helps Logos performance a lot. The new Air line gets excellent battery life as well. Other than that I would recommend the Retina, but as this is probably outside the budget you are looking to spend, I would recommend Air.

If you are set on going with Macbook Pro, I would recommend waiting for the next refresh, which should be right around the corner.

Logos 8 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (1903) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.14.6 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPad3 iOS 9.3.5 | iPod6 iOS 12.4 | iPhoneXR iOS 12.4

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 1 2013 2:10 PM

If you're going to use a Mac for Logos (as I do at home), a solid state hard drive is the most-necessary feature, IMHO.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 2695
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:41 AM

While there are better or worse options, any decent PC or Mac that you can buy for $400 or more today will likely run Logos 5 with few problems. That said, my experience says get an SSD and a dedicated video card instead of shared video since those are the two things Logos uses best. Any computer running an Intel Core i5 or i7 will work great!

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 9:09 AM

Thanks for all the input!  Since it seems like the SSD is the most recommended feature I think I'm going to opt for the macbook pro w/retina display:

13-inch: 2.6GHz
with Retina display

• 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 256GB flash storage1
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000

i'll just add an external hd for storage of docs and media so i don't use up the hard drive for anything beyond programs.

Thanks again!

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:40 PM

I have the retina display and it makes a difference when reading from Logos.

Again, if you're willing to wait there should be a refresh of the Macbook Pro line soon which would mean you'd get even better hardware.

Posts 22
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 9:57 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of time, lol.  I'm in seminary currently, and my PC has crashed 3 times in the last two weeks.  Ive got to get up and running asap before it crashes irrecoverably.  Good news is at least i get an academic discount to help me bear the pain of not getting the latest and greatest hardware Big Smile

Posts 156
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 1:24 PM

That's understandable. I just like to point it out to people because they'll go and purchase a new computer and then there is a hardware refresh right after they do. Usually when I buy a new computer I ask myself whether I can go until another refresh before purchasing. :)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS