Tip: Close Logos5 Periodically to Reclaim Memory

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 2 2013 8:19 PM

I typically run at 40-50% of (RAM) memory. That includes a browser, a virtual box, Logos5, and assorted Sidebar utilities. When I'm up to 60%, Logos starts dragging, and usually there's a memory leak somewhere. Windows7, 4gig memory, i7, Logos running off an SSD. 

And indeed Sidebar utilities leak but measured in 'K's; not megs. Opera leaks but not too bad.

That's when I started watching Logos5. First, I noticed just spinning the text ran up memory with no give-back. (Spinning on a touch-screen is similar to an iPhone ... the spins move text by very quickly).

Then I noticed hooking up a PowerLookup multiplies the memory loss measurably. Again with no give-back.

So Logos5 after a startup with layout and 15 min stablizing, is 630meg and change. Spinning the dials for 10min moves me up to 800meg. And after a few days, I'm solidly over a gig of Logos memory.  I tried spinning various resources; some are real hogs.

I'm wondering if this is Logos5 new found source of performance?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 9:49 AM

Denise:
And after a few days, I'm solidly over a gig of Logos memory.

You should try Safari. It can easily eat up over two gigs in a couple of hours.

The only time Logos is that bad is when tagging. I usually have to restart every 15 minutes or so if I do that.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:26 AM

Spinning?  What are you, a ballerina?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZJEC_6FiQ

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:59 AM

fgh: I thought Opera was getting a bit sloppy; didn't know Safari had them beat.

George: Verizon just sent us a data usage alert and we're 10 days out. So no Logos updates or ballarena videos.

But a Japanese sitcom had one of the characters (a woman of course) spinning her smart phone, week after week for maybe 6 months. She was the best part! No ballarena though. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 11:13 AM

Denise:

fgh: I thought Opera was getting a bit sloppy; didn't know Safari had them beat.

George: Verizon just sent us a data usage alert and we're 10 days out. So no Logos updates or ballarena videos.

But a Japanese sitcom had one of the characters (a woman of course) spinning her smart phone, week after week for maybe 6 months. She was the best part! No ballarena though. 

I got one of those from Cox last month—no big deal.  I'm surprised they even sent it since I know I've been over before.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 27258
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 8 2013 11:02 PM

Denise:
I typically run at 40-50% of (RAM) memory. That includes a browser, a virtual box, Logos5, and assorted Sidebar utilities. When I'm up to 60%, Logos starts dragging, and usually there's a memory leak somewhere. Windows7, 4gig memory, i7, Logos running off an SSD. 

Windows 8, 8 GB memory, Core i7, 10k Hard drive. Typically running at 25% of memory

Logos loads 10 tabs at 156MB and goes to 186 after clicking/opening all tabs for the first time. Jumps to 265 MB with 1x Facts and 334 after closing it and opening another Facts and then levels out at 285 MB with 1x Facts.

After sustained use on Windows 7 Task Manager is showing that Logos peaked at 465 MB (currently 334 MB) with 20 tabs  e.g. opening 10 resources, messing around with a note file, running a few searches.

There is some suspicion of a memory leak and it is slow to return memory.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2013 5:41 AM

Dave Hooton:
Windows 8, 8 GB memory, Core i7, 10k Hard drive. Typically running at 25% of memory

I'm typically using [virtually] all of my 8GB.

Dave Hooton:
Logos loads 10 tabs at 156MB and goes to 186 after clicking/opening all tabs for the first time. Jumps to 265 MB with 1x Facts and 334 after closing it and opening another Facts and then levels out at 285 MB with 1x Facts.

I wonder if there's a real reason why there's so much difference between PC and Mac, or if it's just that the Mac app still isn't optimized anywhere near as much as the Windows app is. I never see Logos using that little.

Dave Hooton:
After sustained use on Windows 7 Task Manager is showing that Logos peaked at 465 MB

For me that's low, not a peak.Sad

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:00 AM

Well, the Mac is kind of like 'the good car' where you keep it maintained and spiffy. The Windows developers sort of 'let fly' and see which side of the garage the car lands on.

I suspect the memory ballooning is a recent 'feature'. 'For years' I've run L4 and L5 with minor increases during 1-2 weeks use.  I'm kind of getting tired of it. Maybe keep L5 closed except for emergencies of 'Biblical proportions'!

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 9 2013 12:41 PM

Windows users can look into PCWinTech's CleanMem to help with memory leaks and see if this helps the problem. It a small, free program that runs via Task Scheduler. BTW, it works differently than other memory cleaners, but I won't expand on that now.

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (21H2) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 15.1 | iPhoneXR iOS 15.1

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS