BUG: Add verses "from file" Logos 5.1a RC3 (Mac OSX 10.8.4)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 29221
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 3 2013 1:48 PM

I was trying to help another forum member who was having difficulties adding verses to a passage list using the "from file" feature. He was using a keynote document... I had difficulties using a .docx file. Here is my sample document:

6471.deleteme passagelist.docx

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1258
LogosEmployee
Dylan Rondeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:56 PM

I have looked into this, and the problem is due to the file type and text formatting. The "from file" feature only recognizes plain-text documents (.txt files) and not rich-text (.docx or keynote files). This is reflected in the Help pane:

... a file – brings up an Open dialog to choose an existing Text file (*.txt) to import passages from

It might be possible to get very clean .docx files to be recognized, but any padding to the file (formatting, etc) would cause it to be unrecognizable. This could be why you have been able to use .docx files in the past, but using a .txt file would be much more reliable.

Dylan Rondeau, Software Tester

Enable Logging: Mac | Windows (Right-click "Save As...")

Posts 29221
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:24 PM

I'm fairly certain that I have used .docx files before. In any case, the sample document I uploaded is VERY plain and basic. Did you try it? Furthermore, the ability to use "from file" is fairly worthless if "from file" only really means .txt files. Who in the world uses .txt files?

Posts 29221
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 3 2013 5:25 PM

Welcome to Logos & the forums, by the way. Smile

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 4 2013 3:52 AM

alabama24:
the ability to use "from file" is fairly worthless if "from file" only really means .txt files. Who in the world uses .txt files?

Not even TextEdit

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS