Why Did You Upgrade

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:01 AM

1) through the forums (as a beta tester)

2) I always go for a new version if available. There is always something good in the newer UI, bug fixed, some new features and - yes, also new databases.

Bohuslav

Posts 1518
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:24 AM

RayDeck3:

1.) Why did you upgrade to Logos 5? (what feature, resource, or program was most compelling to you?)

I upgraded from L4 Platinum to L5 Biblical Languages.  It's one of the most cost effective ways to get extra resources. The resources that most attracted me were the LSJ and NA28. However, I had my eye on Spicq's TLNT too.

2.) How did you hear about it? (email, blog, forum, or smoke signal?)

Logos.com website

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:30 AM

I was able to upgrade to Logos 5 through becoming a Knox Theological student. They offered the full library along with the cost of tuition. I would have probably upgraded nonetheless, but it was nice to get a bigger library and the functionality of Logos 5 at a discounted rate. 

CL

Posts 1622
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 1:59 AM

Doc B:

RayDeck3:
Why did you upgrade to Logos 5?

Didn't really think I had a choice at first. Once the minimal cross-grade was available, I upgraded. The advertising on some of the new features (timeline, etc.) looked pretty good, so I wasn't willing to upgrade the engine without the minimum resources to get the new features[...]

To be more specific for your marketing folks: I upgraded initially because of the advertised new features, but in hindsight I'm more happy about the non-advertised improvements than those that were most featured in ad copy. Day-to-day use of the software has significantly improved, in my opinion.

RayDeck3:
How did you hear about it?

All over the place; probably first hinted at in the forums[...]

I agree,

although there are some features in L4 that I miss (e.g. links from the exegetical summaries) and also I miss one resource that works in Libronix 3 in my old computer.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 4:40 AM

RayDeck3:
1.) Why did you upgrade to Logos 5? (what feature, resource, or program was most compelling to you?)

Was a beta tester for L5. Wanted the upgrade because of the speed/performance improvements over L4 Mac. Also wanted Clause Search & Bible Sense Lexicon. The Diamond upgrade also included almost everything in my Wish List for a very good price. I went through the "New to You" resources and added the prices of the items I would use. When that total reached 300% of the cost of the upgrade, my credit card started to throb in anticipation Geeked

RayDeck3:

It was difficult to see the smoke from over 3,000 miles away, but I did not hesitate after smelling the smoke Big Smile

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 4:42 AM

Rosie Perera:
I honestly don't understand why Logos Development wastes the time fixing bugs in both the old source tree and the new one

Aren't users of XP and Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) locked out of L5? Perhaps Logos has consideration for those who cannot upgrade for other reasons.

Posts 2203
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 4:56 AM

I upgraded because I wanted the newest release, and if I'm not mistaken, there were deep discounts available at the time, which I didn't want to miss out on.  I knew I would want to upgrade eventually, so launch time discounts helped me make the decision.  I also like the new features and speed.  There were also some resources that I wanted, such as the Black's New Testament Commentaries, that were included in the package I chose (Gold).

I heard about it on the forums, as I browse through here at least once a day.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1686
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:12 AM

RayDeck3:
1.) Why did you upgrade to Logos 5?

Since I use Logos regularly, I wanted to have the new features. In practice, I've not found them useful often.

RayDeck3:
2.) How did you hear about it

Forums.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:35 AM

As a committed long term user would upgrade anyway.

More interesting question is why I chose the upgrade path I did? Answer is that an upgrade that I had been considering was made much more attractive financially.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:45 AM

Rosie Perera:
Yes, I know there are still a lot of L4 users who haven't upgraded yet, but that's their choice

I suspect that some would argue that it is not their choice because Logos 5 does not work with XP, see comment from the support FAQ below...

Q: I have Windows XP or Apple OS X 10.5; why didn't Logos 4 update automatically?

A: Logos 5 uses a new version of Microsoft's .NET Framework, or "Mono" for Macs. You must have Windows Vista SP2+ or Apple OS X 10.6+ to use these frameworks. You should contact your computer manufacturer to see if your computer qualifies for any Operating System upgrades in order to download Logos 5, or use Logos 4 instead.

Personally I think that it reflects well on Logos that they have shown a high level of commitment to version 4, and 3 for that matter, but I would agree that once XP is no longer supported it would be a logical time for Logos 4 to be 'stabilised'.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 231
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 5:58 AM

I upgraded because I received a good price on the package I was seeking and I always upgrade whenever.

I believe I heard about it through email and the forum.  Glad I did.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 6:09 AM

Jack Caviness:

Rosie Perera:
I honestly don't understand why Logos Development wastes the time fixing bugs in both the old source tree and the new one

Aren't users of XP and Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) locked out of L5? Perhaps Logos has consideration for those who cannot upgrade for other reasons.

If I understand Rosie's argument right, she doesn't suggest quitting Logos 4 availability, just the parallel work on bugs etc. Or am I mistaken?

Bohuslav

Posts 9057
LogosEmployee

Rosie Perera:

I honestly don't understand why Logos Development wastes the time fixing bugs in both the old source tree and the new one. 

When is this duplication of effort going to stop so the developers can be more focused on the current platform and moving forward?

I think you (dramatically) overestimate how much time we're spending on Logos 4.x. There have only been two minor releases this year (4.6b and 4.6c), and it's been six weeks since the last 4.6c SR. The amount of time spent by Logos development on Logos 4 is very small.

And source control systems may have improved a lot since you last used them. We use git, and fixing a bug in the Logos 4 branch and merging it into the Logos 5 branch is trivial.

Rosie Perera:

So why waste your time fixing bugs for them?

There are some Logos 4 customers who literally cannot afford to purchase an upgrade to Logos 5 or to buy a new (non-XP) computer to run the free Logos 5 update. They still deserve to have bugs in Logos 4 fixed. (We're not going to keep polishing Logos 4 until all the bugs are fixed, of course. But some bugs need to be fixed.)

Or, some customers have purchased a Logos 5 upgrade, but still have a Windows XP notebook that run Logos 4 that they sync with. We have chosen to invest time in Logos 4 to keep sync working for that customer. (Logos 4.6c was essentially all about sync v2: http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4.6c.)

Finally, without minor maintenance releases, Logos 4 wouldn't be able to read some new resources sold at logos.com. It's cheaper to release small updates to Logos 4 that allow it to read new books, than to develop a system that tracks which resources are not Logos 4 compatible, displays that on the website, but still have to field customer service calls from Logos 4 customers who didn't read the fine print and bought the resource anyway.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 8:12 AM

Rosie Perera:
I honestly don't understand why Logos Development wastes the time fixing bugs in both the old source tree and the new one. L5 should be both the bugfix upgrade path and the new features upgrade path from L4. It is not an entirely new UI like L4 was over L3. It made sense to keep fixing bugs in L3 while active development had moved on to L4, but it does not make sense to keep fixing bugs in L4 with L5 being actively developed since it is basically the same software, with just some new features added. I don't know of any other major software developer who keeps fixing bugs in parallel in an older version of their software (except if it's to fix major security flaws, like Microsoft sometimes has to do with its older versions).

If you are still using Microsoft XP than you can't upgrade to L5. There are some like my daughter who would like to upgrade to L5, but until she finishes college she can't afford a new computer. Logos is still restricted by the successes and failures of Microsoft.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 8:21 AM

Huh? I thought L4 ran on XP? Plus defective product is still defective (presuming continued XP-ers support).

Maybe we're saying dump the XP-ers so we can get more 'stuff'!

EDIT: Just saw Wayne's entry; agree.

-----

Bradley ... I was referring to the label. Like on our Eurovan it says 'Camper'. That's major, major when passing another Eurovan.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9057
LogosEmployee

Denise:

Bradley ... I was referring to the label. Like on our Eurovan it says 'Camper'. That's major, major when passing another Eurovan.

Ah. Sorry, can't help you there.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:15 AM

RayDeck3:

I upgraded to L5 primarily because of the additional resources available at a considerable discount (a number of these resources were on my wish list). The new databases were also a factor in my decision to upgrade.

RayDeck3:

Via the forum.

Posts 514
Daniel Yoder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:41 AM

I heard about the upgrade from the website and the forums.  I upgraded in order to have all of the new features.  I also received almost 500 new resources by upgrading from L4 Platinum to L5 Platinum.  Even without factoring in the new features, I paid less than $1.50 per (new) resource. 

Posts 3733
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 10:54 AM

I'm part of the Logos (only?) crowd & have been since 1994. So I heard about L5 via email, forum, & probably smoke signal. ;-)

Why'd I upgrade? I didn't at 1st for L5 itself, until the minimal crossgrade pricing was announced. At that point, I did cost tradeoffs to try to get back to Platinum (where I'd been in L4), but the price point packaging excluded me. Best I could afford was a combined crossgrade + upgrade to Silver.

I can only afford to dedicate an average $300/year for books (= Logos, excepting only 2 books, the last 5 years) out of my TOTAL budget for ALL professional expenses.

Hope this helps.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 6 2013 12:57 PM

Rosie People who have bought 4 deserve a program that functions and not everyone who has 4 can upgrade to 5, yes it is a small group, but they are out there.

-dan

Page 2 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS