Word Biblical Commentary came on CD-ROM for Libronix

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 12:25 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Maybe I am missing something here, but when you buy a DVD only product from Logos which is produced by one of their publishing partners and you are listed as an L4 user in their database, why not just activate the license at the POS as part of shipping the DVD? This way it cuts out the step of you having to clog up the Logos' phone lines asking them to activate it or to mess with L3 if you don't have it installed.

That's a good question. If they can do that for downloadable products, why not for DVD ones? In fact, why not take the DVD out of the equation altogether and just ship all third-party products as downloadable files? It would save postage and fuel and packaging and warehouse space.

Posts 406
Fred Greco | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 7:23 AM

Rosie Perera:

Donovan R. Palmer:

Maybe I am missing something here, but when you buy a DVD only product from Logos which is produced by one of their publishing partners and you are listed as an L4 user in their database, why not just activate the license at the POS as part of shipping the DVD? This way it cuts out the step of you having to clog up the Logos' phone lines asking them to activate it or to mess with L3 if you don't have it installed.

That's a good question. If they can do that for downloadable products, why not for DVD ones? In fact, why not take the DVD out of the equation altogether and just ship all third-party products as downloadable files? It would save postage and fuel and packaging and warehouse space.

Hence my frustration.  I actually purchased by calling Logos (since I was hoping for a download and taht was not available online).  I could understand if there was some 3d party requirement that required a DVD for install, but now that I know I have to call Logos back anyway to get it activated and installed, I'm pretty annoyed.  I've basically lost two Sundays I could have used the commentary in sermon prep.

Fred Greco
Senior Pastor, Christ Church PCA, Katy, TX
Windows 10 64-bit; Logos 7.1 SR-2 (Reformed Platinum)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 1:18 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

The only reason I can see preventing it is the EULA printed on the box has that standard clause "If you break this seal, you agree to the terms of this license."  Logos CS can not agree on your behalf, can they? Why limit this to "third party" boxed software? Why not offer this on every digital product offered for sale on Logos.com ?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 3:55 PM

I know that I posted this in another thread - but I'm surprised that some of you seem to have the license code for WBC. How did you trick them to do this for you. They absolutely refused me when I asked them to do it for me. It was the CD or nothing!

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 3:58 PM

How did you trick them to do this for you? They absolutely refused me when I called them today. I can only get WBC on cd. They will not give me the unlock code

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:16 PM

Elisabet Ahrensbach:

How did you trick them to do this for you? They absolutely refused me when I called them today. I can only get WBC on cd. They will not give me the unlock code

It doesn't surprise me that they won't give you the unlock code, but that isn't what others have asked them for. Try again, asking them to unlock it for you at their end rather than asking them to give you the code. You might have better results. Also explain that others have had this done for them. And ask nicely.

Posts 50
Dale Courtney | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:26 PM

Elisabeth,

They mailed me the CD-ROM, and it had the license code on the case. I had to give them that code for them to enable the software on the license server.

But they told me that some of the CD-ROMs have shipped without a license on them. And then they just enable the license.

Regardless, I didn't want the CD-ROM (and didn't want to pay for the shipping). All I wanted was for them to enable the license after I bought it. But they wouldn't (couldn't?) until I I received the CD-ROM in the mail and then called them on the phone.

Best,
Dale

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:17 PM

Dale Courtney:

Elisabeth,

They mailed me the CD-ROM, and it had the license code on the case. I had to give them that code for them to enable the software on the license server. But they told me that some of the CD-ROMs have shipped without a license on them. And then they just enable the license. Regardless, I didn't want the CD-ROM (and didn't want to pay for the shipping). All I wanted was for them to enable the license after I bought it. But they wouldn't (couldn't?) until I I received the CD-ROM in the mail and then called them on the phone.

Best,
Dale

Dale,  The way things are currently set up it appears they have to mail you the install code & license. Just consider the CD media as a free convenience for back-up purposes. You paid to receive the license & install code.The CDs that shipped without codes were a snafu. They could help you over the phone because you had already accepted the EULA. Normally your installation of the software indicates your acceptence of the license.

There are two codes needed for successfully adding a resource to Logos by CD. There is the installation code and there is an activation key. In the Logos 3.0 Account Summary you can see all the activation keys listed with your resources right under the serial numbers. An activation key is unique to each registration.  The activation key is generated using your serial number (installation code) and other specific data. In the old days we used your name and sometimes your computer's ID. Now the key generators are more sophisticated Logos 4 uses a better system of activation and someday we will not have to fiddle with all these details.

Posts 159
ELA | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:06 AM

Thanks for the replys. But I'm still not quite sure what to ask for.

The thing is - I only want to buy the WBC if I can download. The thing is that I live in Denmark - and I would probably have to pay twice the price when the shipping, taxes and customs and handling fees to tax authorities are included. Plus 3 weeks of shipping. But there's no tax on downloadable products. When I called them yesterday they were obviously so busy that it was just a quick 'no' and 'sorry, it's not possible to hep you'. So that in mind I know if I call again I have to be very certain what to ask for.

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:00 AM

I called Costumer Service but they WILL NOT enable my license !!! I quoted your WIKI but they say if they do unlock for me I would have 2 licenses, the one being shipped and the other they unlocked for me.... Any suggestions? Where is the complain department!!!

Quote from WIKI:

You could actually have talked to Customer Service immediately upon purchasing the product (without waiting for the CDs to arrive) and they could have enabled your license for you. I'm so sorry you had to wait to find this out. We'll try to recommend that they make this point clear on the website for people purchasing CD-based products that are still in Logos 3 format. I'm hoping they consider moving towards downloadable versions for all third-party products in the future (there are several bundles which I'm holding off on buying for this very reason). But this is the way it works for now.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:00 AM

ton verdam:

I called Costumer Service but they WILL NOT enable my license !!! I quoted your WIKI but they say if they do unlock for me I would have 2 licenses, the one being shipped and the other they unlocked for me.... Any suggestions? Where is the complain department!!!

Quote from WIKI:

You could actually have talked to Customer Service immediately upon purchasing the product (without waiting for the CDs to arrive) and they could have enabled your license for you. I'm so sorry you had to wait to find this out. We'll try to recommend that they make this point clear on the website for people purchasing CD-based products that are still in Logos 3 format. I'm hoping they consider moving towards downloadable versions for all third-party products in the future (there are several bundles which I'm holding off on buying for this very reason). But this is the way it works for now.

Ton,  I mentioned in my previous post in this thread that some EULAs require the physical opening of the product by you as conditional to acceptance of the agreement. This wording predates the ability to download large programs at high speeds. (Nobody had the foresight the internet connections would be fast enough and reliable enough to move Gigabytes through without errors.) I believe Rosie's Wiki article is correct as far as Logos licensed content but probably not when it comes to third party boxed software. It will take some time before the industry moves from the old way of doing things. Logos is among the leaders in this movement. Complaints (encouraging suggestions would be better) should be directed to the third parties.

edit: Ton, Was your CD already shipped with a license when you asked Customer service for help? That would preclude them from any activation until they had the number off the jewel case.

Posts 191
Sharon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 8:57 AM

I opened my case last night to install and there was no CD inside!  Surprise  I have emailed tech and I am sure they will take care of it.  Just thought it was funny.

wordcenterministries.org

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:07 AM

Sharon Jensen:
I opened my case last night to install and there was no CD inside!  Surprise  I have emailed tech and I am sure they will take care of it.  Just thought it was funny.

YIKES! And those who didn't get a license code thought they had it bad!!!

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:11 AM

ton verdam:

Yes, tell CS you do not need the CD that they should activate it from their end without sending the CD to you. This should be done before you pay for the product explain that you want it activated but that they should distroy the CD WITHOUT sending it to you. Thay way you will not have two license.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 129
ton verdam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:34 AM

The CD was already shipped and underway, but for me not as a christmas-gift . i will be glad when i have it next year...

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:41 AM

ton verdam:

The CD was already shipped and underway, but for me not as a christmas-gift . i will be glad when i have it next year...

Sorry, there in lays the problem.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 99
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:51 PM

There is another possibility of a solution that I don't see mentioned.  Dale says that he doesn't want to install Logos 3 on his new computer.  I suspect that his old computer is still around. When a person has two computers, you don't need to install Logos 3 to upgrade, simply go to the old PC (or 2nd PC) which may or may not currently have Logos 3 on it, then install the CD-Rom product there.  NOW Synchronize licenses.  (Make sure you have internet connectivity, of course). Next go to newer computer with Logos 4 and restart Logos 4.  *(sometimes, just clicking on Update Now button (or typing that COMMAND) will do the trick).  You will have your new books in about 30 minutes.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 3:05 PM

JJ Miller:
There is another possibility of a solution that I don't see mentioned.

Good suggestion. Thank you JJ.

Bohuslav

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 4 2010 8:17 PM

JJ Miller:

When a person has two computers, you don't need to install Logos 3 to upgrade, simply go to the old PC (or 2nd PC) which may or may not currently have Logos 3 on it, then install the CD-Rom product there.

And you don't even need to install the resource files from the CD-ROM onto the old computer. All you need to do is go through the first part of the installation process which unlocks the licenses.

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS