Suggestion: Add more scholarly theological journals to the Theological Journal Library (or as stand-alones, or another bundle)

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 18 2009 11:58 PM

I've been watching the conversation on this thread about the Theological Journal Library. I must confess I have not bought that resource because I find it doesn't include most of the best top-notch Biblical studies journals I'd expect to find in such a collection. Here are some I would want to see in Logos format, for example (spanning quite a theological spectrum, but all respected academic journals):

·     *Biblica (http://www.bsw.org/project/biblica) – “Published since 1920 by the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome, Biblica is a research journal and appears four times a year.“

·     *Biblical Interpretation (http://www.brill.nl/bi) – “A Journal of Contemporary Approaches”; “provides a vehicle for the exercise and development of a whole range of newer techniques of interpretation, including feminist readings, semiotic, post-structuralist, reader-response and other types of literary readings, liberation-theological readings, ecological readings, psychological readings, and post-colonial interpretation, among many others.”

·     Crux (http://www.regent-college.edu/crux) – “A Quarterly Journal of Christian Thought and Opinion published by Regent College”

·     Direction Journal (http://www.directionjournal.org) - "For thirty years Direction has been addressing biblical, theological, historical, ethical, and church-related issues. A semiannual publication, Direction is supported by Mennonite Brethren higher education institutions in the United States and Canada."

·     *Interpretation – (http://www.interpretation.org) – “A Journal of Bible and Theology”

·     *Journal for the Study of the New Testament (http://jnt.sagepub.com) – “Scholarly journal covering a range of critical methodologies”

·     Journal for the Study of the Old Testament (http://jot.sagepub.com) – “Offering the best of current scholarship on the Old Testament across a range of critical methodologies”

·     *Journal of Theological Studies (http://jts.oxfordjournals.org) – “Founded in 1899, The Journal of Theological Studies crosses the entire range of theological research, scholarship and interpretation. Ancient and modern texts, inscriptions, and documents that have not before appeared in type are also reproduced.”

·     McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry (http://www.mcmaster.ca/mjtm) – “an electronic and print journal that seeks to provide pastors, educators, and interested lay persons with the fruits of theological, biblical, and professional studies in an accessible form”

·     *Novum Testamentum (http://www.brill.nl/nt) – “Novum Testamentum is a leading international journal devoted to the study of the New Testament and related subjects. This includes text-critical, philological, and exegetical studies, and investigations which seek to situate early Christian texts (both canonical and non-canonical) and theology in the broader context of Jewish and Graeco-Roman history, culture, religion, and literature. For 50 years an unrivalled resource for the subject.”

·     *TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism (http://purl.org/TC) – “an electronic journal dedicated to the study of the Jewish and Christian biblical texts”; “textual criticism of the Jewish and Christian scriptures (including extracanonical and related literature)”; “transcendSleep the traditional boundary between textual criticism of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament and New Testament textual criticism.”

·     *Theology Today (http://theologytoday.ptsem.edu) - a quarterly ecumenical journal of Christian theology

·     Vetus Testamentum (http://www.brill.nl/vt) – “Vetus Testamentum is a leading journal covering all aspects of Old Testament study. It includes articles on history, literature, religion and theology, text, versions, language, and the bearing on the Old Testament of archaeology and the study of the Ancient Near East. Since 1951 generally recognized to be indispensable for scholarly work on the Old Testament.“

·     Zeitschrift für die Alttestamentliche Wissenschaft (http://www.degruyter.de/journals/zaw/detailEn.cfm) - published in Germany, but it has plenty of articles in English; “has been the leading international and interconfessional periodical in the field of research in the Old Testament and Early Judaism for over one hundred years.”

·     *Zeitschrift für die Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft und die Kunde der Älteren Kirche (http://www.degruyter.de/journals/znw/detailEn.cfm) – published in Germany, but it has plenty of articles in English; “an international journal for the exegesis of the New Testament and knowledge of the early church (patristics)”

Most of these (the starred ones) are included in the list of journals on NT Gateway (which is hosted by Logos!), and I’m sure Logos would also recommend the OT counterparts I haven’t starred, too (JSOT, VT, ZAW). I’ve also thrown in a couple of personal favorites which aren’t as widely cited but still have some good biblical studies and theology articles. 

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:41 AM

This is a brilliant list and I hope that we can gain more of these in Logos format in the future (not today as the 2009 book budget is sorely broke!)

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:49 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

This is a brilliant list and I hope that we can gain more of these in Logos format in the future (not today as the 2009 book budget is sorely broke!)

Ah, but 2010 is only 13 days away, so you get to start fresh with a whole new annual book budget. Wink

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:53 AM

Rosie Perera:
Ah, but 2010 is only 13 days away, so you get to start fresh with a whole new annual book budget. Wink

I like the way you think!

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 1:23 AM

An excellent list, Rosie.

It surprises me that biblica hasn't been offered given that a number of PBI books have been produced by Logos and that recent years are freely available on the Web.

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 1:37 AM

Rosie, Galaxie are responsible for the Theological Journal Library. So you may want to submit your suggestions to them.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 1:49 AM

Ted Hans:

Rosie, Galaxie are responsible for the Theological Journal Library. So you may want to submit your suggestions to them.

I figured I'd get more leverage by posting the suggestion here where others could chime in "yes, me too!"  Logos watches these forums and gauges interest, and I'm sure they communicate with Galaxie when bunches of users request something. I don't have any Galaxie products and have no relationship with them, so I'm not likely to submit a suggestion directly to them.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 2:10 AM

Rosie Perera:
I figured I'd get more leverage by posting the suggestion here where others could chime in "yes, me too!"  Logos watches these forums and gauges interest, and I'm sure they communicate with Galaxie when bunches of users request something. I don't have any Galaxie products and have no relationship with them, so I'm not likely to submit a suggestion directly to them.

It is also possible that Logos will produce their own Theological Journal bundle.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 2:43 AM

Rosie Perera:
I've been watching the conversation on this thread about the Theological Journal Library. I must confess I have not bought that resource because I find it doesn't include most of the best top-notch Biblical studies journals I'd expect to find in such a collection. Here are some I would want to see in Logos format, for example (spanning quite a theological spectrum, but all respected academic journals):

I concur that it would be desireable to have more scholarly journals.  Many seem content with such offerings (by Galaxie) as Bibliotheca Sacra, Grace Journal, etc., but none of these are truly scholarly journals.  The problem is not with Logos.  They have published the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures and the monograph series SemeiaThe Journal of Biblical Literature is one journal which has been on prepub for some time without attracting sufficient support to bring it to publication.  How can we expect other such journals to be published if the customer base does not adequately support it?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 3:02 AM

George Somsel:

I concur that it would be desireable to have more scholarly journals.  Many seem content with such offerings (by Galaxie) as Bibliotheca Sacra, Grace Journal, etc., but none of these are truly scholarly journals.  The problem is not with Logos.  They have published the Journal of Hebrew Scriptures and the monograph series SemeiaThe Journal of Biblical Literature is one journal which has been on prepub for some time without attracting sufficient support to bring it to publication.  How can we expect other such journals to be published if the customer base does not adequately support it?

Perhaps the problem is that the JBL is a one-off and people like the idea of getting a bundle of lots of journals, even if it is more expensive. I wonder how things would change if Logos were to put a Scholarly Journals Bundle into community pricing or pre-pub. Would more people jump at it?

I think that Logos has been catering mostly to the non-scholarly type. I guess the market for scholarly works will never be as big as that for popular works, and that could prevent such things from being cost-effective for Logos to ever produce. But I'd be sad if that were the case. Would that all Christians would become better scholars! There was a good article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal on this subject, by the managing editor of Patrol Magazine, a Christian publication: "Winning Not Just Hearts but Minds: Evangelicals move, slowly, toward the intellectual life."

Posts 13366
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 3:44 AM

There's a simple reason why journals like those aren't available on Logos. It's because, generally speaking, the publisher care only about Libraries with thousand dollar budgets.

Take the JSNT, for example. It costs $96 for a one year subscription or $400 for a seminary. That gives you access, via the web, to all the journals since 1978. But after a year, your access is removed. Can you imagine what that might want to charge individuals for perpetual access to those resources? And can you imagine what that might charge seminaries!

I thank God that evangelical journals are generally far more enlightened. (And I also thank Him that because I'm a post-grad student I get access to most scholarly journals through my institution!!)

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:04 AM

Mark Barnes:

There's a simple reason why journals like those aren't available on Logos. It's because, generally speaking, the publisher care only about Libraries with thousand dollar budgets.

Take the JSNT, for example. It costs $96 for a one year subscription or $400 for a seminary. That gives you access, via the web, to all the journals since 1978. But after a year, your access is removed. Can you imagine what that might want to charge individuals for perpetual access to those resources? And can you imagine what that might charge seminaries!

I thank God that evangelical journals are generally far more enlightened. (And I also thank Him that because I'm a post-grad student I get access to most scholarly journals through my institution!!)

Yes, but as print-based journals gradually disappear, they're all going to be in e-journal format only, so the cost of producing them will go way down. You'd think they could afford to give the rest of us a break. Fortunately, I still live near my seminary and audit courses there, so I can use the library e-resources. But it's not the same as having them all integrated into Logos would be.

Also, the journals wouldn't be granting perpetual access to all new issues. You'd still have to buy the new editions each year when they came out. Like the way the TJL works now. So the publishers would have a continuing revenue stream from users who wanted to keep up-to-date with the latest scholarship.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 4:52 AM

I just bought a Galaxie volume and I believe one word on the package explains why Galaxie hasn't branched in the direction of the more scholarly journals. Conservative, Galaxie's description of the journals uses this word. Now, I don't want to knock the word conservative, many would call me conservative (of course those more conservative than me might call me a liberal... sigh, labels always break down). However, Rosie, most, if not all of the journals you mentioned can't be described as conservative. I would LOVE to have JSNT, JSOT, JTS, JTI (not on your list), and VT among others. These journals were either interesting reads or very helpful to me (except for the cost of photocopies!) when I was in college and seminary.

I would hope that the publishers of these journals would at least consider the high-volume/low price model and bundle these journals.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:00 AM

Kevin Becker:

I would hope that the publishers of these journals would at least consider the high-volume/low price model and bundle these journals.

I prefer bundles because it is easier to manage. The downside is that I usually have something in the bundle I don't want that bad, but the convenience for me outweighs buying and updating a bunch of different journals separately.

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:16 AM

Kevin Becker:

I just bought a Galaxie volume and I believe one word on the package explains why Galaxie hasn't branched in the direction of the more scholarly journals. Conservative, Galaxie's description of the journals uses this word. Now, I don't want to knock the word conservative, many would call me conservative (of course those more conservative than me might call me a liberal... sigh, labels always break down). However, Rosie, most, if not all of the journals you mentioned can't be described as conservative.

I know. I made the same point over on that other thread: "Galaxie seems to have a certain theological leaning, and Logos is more neutral, publishing things all across the theological spectrum. I doubt Galaxie would want to publish some of the good scholarly journals because they might consider them to be too liberal. I wouldn't want most of the things in the TJL as it stands except BibSac, JETS, and WTJ. I'm guessing it would make more sense for Logos to put out on its own a second bundle of journals geared more towards academic theological scholarship. Or, ideally, let people mix and match the journals of their choice for a custom bundle. But I doubt the print publishers would go for that."

Many would consider me conservative too, and I used to be proud to wear that label. I remember being quite shocked my first year at my evangelical seminary when a friend told me she'd "learned a lot from the liberals." But I've opened up more and understand now what she was talking about. And I don't adhere to some of the things that the label "conservative" now means to many people (I'm basically a pacifist, I believe environmental conservation is a Christian responsibility, and I've even preached at my church as a woman -- gasp! -- that would have been taboo in my mind about about 10 years ago). But I'm still pretty theologically conservative. Sigh. Labels are so fuzzy.

Anyway, even conservative evangelicals have learned a lot from liberal scholarship and we'd be stupid to shun it completely.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:39 AM

i haven't invested in those journals --- well, some I don't know, and the ones I know or like are not generally in them.  And my impression is they are of a particular theological bent, not just merely conservative.  That is fine, but I like a broader spectrum to read from.  That said, I am "interested" in them, just not "hot" for them.  Devil  (that's a hot guy.  not a devil.  i couldn't find fire or a sun)  I'd buy them, but only way down on the list.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 516
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 6:19 AM

I hate to rain on the parade, but the lack of journals is not because of Galaxie's conservative stance or any lack of interest in Logos for putting together a prepub. The problem is that the institutions that produce these journals have signed over exclusive rights to Ingenta and other like them that charge an arm and a leg for online access. I have spoken to Galaxie about this and was informed that they have now lost Masters Seminary and Trinity because of this. They will get to do Trinity for one more year and Masters has already fallen off this year.

Big online institutions buying up the rights to journal content is a problem that can only get worse as I see it. Galaxie is trying to find a way to get publishing rights for CD's from the people who bought the rights but we will have to see how that will all play out. I'm just sorry we're losing journal titles to these exclusive agreements when we should be gaining titles.

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 6:22 AM

BobbyTerhune:
The problem is that the institutions that produce these journals have signed over exclusive rights to Ingenta and other like them that charge an arm and a leg for online access.

I didn't know this for sure, but this confirms my suspicions. That's a real drag.

Posts 18697
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 6:32 AM

BobbyTerhune:
The problem is that the institutions that produce these journals have signed over exclusive rights to Ingenta and other like them that charge an arm and a leg for online access.

Well, then Logos should just buy Ingenta. Smile

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 7:33 AM
Rosie Perera:

Anyway, even conservative evangelicals have learned a lot from liberal scholarship and we'd be stupid to shun it completely.

"Liberals" are much more rigorous with the text and make lots of great observations. Their problems stem not from observation, but from interpretation of what they have observed.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS