searching for Louw Nida semantic domain range

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 52
Michael Burer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 17 2013 8:03 AM

How do I search for a Louw Nida semantic domain range? For example, I'd like to find all occurrences of the following broad domain:

Kinship Relations Involving Successive Generations (10.14–10.48)

How do I search for 10.14-48? I can readily search for a single subdomain, like 10.14, but I can't figure out how to search for 10.14-48.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 17 2013 8:16 AM

Posts 52
Michael Burer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 17 2013 12:04 PM

Thanks! I didn't have that syntax right. I appreciate it!

Posts 25092
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 17 2013 3:45 PM

See the Search help wiki for syntax and other common datatypes.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2
Mark Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 7 2014 11:29 PM

Is there also a way to determine the semantic range of a term?  For instance, can I go from a BDAG entry and somehow determine all of the semantic ranges that that particular Greek word is listed under in Louw-Nida?  Bibleworks does this in one simple step, but I have yet to figure out how to do this search in Logos.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Posts 10125
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 3:25 AM

Welcome Mark,

sure, this is simply a lookup. When you have Louw-Nida prioritized as one of your top lexicons, the right click menu in BDAG (or anywhere else where Greek lemmas are displayed) will get you to the second volume within LN, which has this information.

Hope this helps.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2
Mark Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 8:54 PM

Thanks for your response Mick.  Actually I am looking for the same results that can be achieved in BibleWorks when you use the command line to look for the multiple meanings of a given word (c.f. the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v5VJw4daCE).  So not simply the specific semantic range for the Greek word (LN articles 7.3, 10.8, and 57.21 in the example above) but the full range of gloss meanings a word is associated with. 

Posts 25092
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 9 2014 10:57 PM

Mark Burns:
Actually I am looking for the same results that can be achieved in BibleWorks when you use the command line to look for the multiple meanings of a given word (c.f. the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v5VJw4daCE).

The first LN search is conducted in much the same way i.e. a Bible search on a resource with LN numbers

You have to scan the Louw-Nida lexicon for the appropriate domain and input the sub-domain(s) as above.

Mark Burns:
So not simply the specific semantic range for the Greek word (LN articles 7.3, 10.8, and 57.21 in the example above) but the full range of gloss meanings a word is associated with. 

Strictly, Mick showed the three glosses with which οἰκία is associated. However, if what you want comes from the video you have to input the sub-domains for οἰκία into a similar Bible search:-

The commas are used for a list term which is essentially shorthand for OR.

If you searched for lemma:οἰκία you only would get 93 results in 84 verses.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS