5.1b Release Candidate 1 (5.1.2.0020) available

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1471
Angela Murashov | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 18 2013 3:41 PM

5.1b Release Candidate 1 (5.1.2.0020) is available for download. An RC is considered a stable version.

To update to 5.1b RC 1, enter the Update Now command if you’ve switched to the beta channel before. If you currently have a stable version installed (such as 5.1a SR-2) and do not want to receive future beta updates, install from the download links on this thread. If you want to receive future beta updates, enter the Set Update Channel to Beta command to download RC X.

Release Notes

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 4:51 PM

That must be a record - beta to release candidate in one week!

Posts 18759
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 6:48 PM

Wow! That was indeed fast. I'm not sure it received enough testing yet to be pushed out to RC. Or maybe this is a sign that better testing is going on internally before any beta releases, so they don't need to stay in beta as long. Let's hope!

I'm already looking forward to 5.1c. Must be some good stuff in there, since the changes for 5.1b were so minor.

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 6:59 PM

Changes documented in the Release Notes are minimal. Why's this a 5.1b release again?

A little surprised by the speed of the releases and the intermittent indexing problems I had with 5.1a SR-1.

Posts 18759
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:07 PM

Lee:
Changes documented in the Release Notes are minimal. Why's this a 5.1b release again?

If you look at the Beta Release Notes for this version (there was only one beta during this cycle, so it's for 5.1b Beta 1), you'll see that more was done. It's still pretty minimal, but worthy of a letter increment. However I'm still surprised they let it go to Release Candidate phase with only one beta release. That is unprecedented.

Posts 8081
LogosEmployee

Lee:

Why's this a 5.1b release again?

Because it's the next one after 5.1a? Wink

I'm curious what you would have us call it instead? Or are you proposing that we hold off on releasing free updates until it's "big enough" to be called 5.2?

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 9:06 PM

I had no idea that the 5.1b RC-1 Change History was not cumulative. It looked too slim for an incremental version.

Besides, it's kind of fast, and hot on the heels of some indexing weirdness! Reminds me of some of the Linux releases.

Posts 8081
LogosEmployee

Sorry for the confusion. The 5.1b Release Notes aggregate all the changes since 5.1a.

Posts 13369
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 19 2013 2:06 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):
Or are you proposing that we hold off on releasing free updates until it's "big enough" to be called 5.2?

No, I'm all for getting BSL updates out in the wild as soon as possible - those improvements are needed.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS