Suggestion: Complete Biblical Library

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 28
Fall-Guy | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:10 PM

Can we get these in Logos?

Complete Biblical Library NT

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Biblical-Library-Volume/dp/B001LQ9KJ4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1379556090&sr=8-5&keywords=Complete+Biblical+Library

Complete Biblical Library OT

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Biblical-Library-Testament/dp/1884642497/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379556090&sr=8-7&keywords=Complete+Biblical+Library

Posts 596
LaRosa Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 18 2013 7:23 PM

I believe WORDsearch still has exclusive on them at this time.

Urban Scholar - http://urban-scholar.com 
Christ-centered Hip-Hop - http://www.sphereofhiphop.com

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 7:14 PM

Complete Biblical Library is being rolled out now but was wondering if there is a way to connect everything exact as the hardback Where we have the Interlinear, the notes and the various versions All connected together.  See pic as to what I can use in my studies at home.

Thank You,

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 8:58 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
wondering if there is a way to connect everything exact as the hardback Where we have the Interlinear, the notes and the various versions All connected together.

Faithlife's Reverse Interlinear (inline & pane at bottom of tab) shows Greek alignment with more tagging than Complete Biblical Library interlinear:

Right hand column of Complete Biblical Library seemed to me as a Reader's Digest condensed version of United Bible Society Handbooks (keeping different translation renderings while leaving out cultural concepts). Logos Wiki has => UBS New Testament Handbook Series & => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Thankful for Faithlife Study Bible (FSB) being included in free Lexham Intro Collection (5 vols.) along with Faithlife offering many verse-by-verse commentaries.

Lawrence Espinosa:
See pic as to what I can use in my studies at home.

Noticed each Greek Word in picture has English literal translation below it, which provides deception opportunity of seeing Greek words while reading English (the bane of interlinears). My favorite Logos/Verbum feature is visual filter highlighting so can "see" range of Greek verbal expression in Greek and any Bible with Reverse Interlinear (using morphology and precept highlighting for me is easy to see corresponding words)

Logos Wiki Extended Tips for Highlighting includes: 

Thread => more inductive symbols discussion includes precept highlighting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19322
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 9:43 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
Complete Biblical Library is being rolled out now

Is it going to be available for non WORDsearch users? I don't see it on the Logos website.

Posts 5429
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 9:57 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Faithlife's Reverse Interlinear (inline & pane at bottom of tab) shows Greek alignment with more tagging than Complete Biblical Library interlinear:

I'm not totally sure--we may need to ask Dante to be sure--but I believe there is an entire circle of hell devoted to Bible software companies that devote more attention and development to reverse interlinears than they do to actual real interlinears...you know, the kind based on the actual original source language. I understand why RIs exist in Logos, but they are a pale, paltry alternative to the real deal, the LHI and LGNTI. The most obvious reason is the fact that RIs chop up the syntax and grammar of the original. In every possible way, FL should do all they can to emphasize and defer to the LHI and LGNTI.  Personally, I never use RIs and find them just a couple of ticks this side of repugnant. It bothers me that there are certain elements of Logos that seem to rely on RIs. Plain and simple...I don't want to operate with an RI open in my Bible, and I don't want to constantly have to turn an RI on and off in order to accomplish basic, fundamental tasks. This is just another significant step backward compared to how L3 operates.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 10:14 PM

Thanks, the colors look a little busy for me and since I am read Hebrew i Do not need the reverse interlinear.  I am still waiting for the reverse and Hebrew Interlinear to be installed as I had them on WORDsearch but looks like that is going to be the last thing they do.

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2020 10:49 PM

I thinks so, as they have a page stating new books coming to Logos.  I preferred Wordsearch as I love the simplicity and the Carousal Feature which made it easier to go to your fav resource more quickly.   

Posts 33483
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 1:13 AM

Lawrence Espinosa:
Carousal Feature which made it easier to go to your fav resource more quickly.   

How does that compare to the parallel resources feature?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 8:13 AM

no comparison as Word Search had Parallel as well, the Carousal feature allow you switch resources you have Pre selected as your favorites such as 3 window you can up and your Bibles in one you go to your default Bible and then click the arrow for any other one you want to use ina second, Then your favorite commentaries in another window which scroll With you Bible, you can do the same and go to another commentary by just hitting the arrow.  This keeps the pages clean without always doing searches.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 9:25 AM

Lawrence Espinosa:
no comparison as Word Search had Parallel as well

Hmm .. just trying to understand. I'm a tab'er, not a parallel'er. But your description sure looks like Logos' parallel, fed with collections?

Might be troublesome, but a screencopy of the carousel?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 33483
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 2:31 PM

Your description sounds like Parallel resources on a personal collection of favorites -- complete with the arrow navigation. Have you tried making a collection of the favorite Bibles or commentaries; setting parallels to that collection; navigate by arrows? [We can provide detailed instructions if necessary.] What is the difference in behavior that you need to meet your expectations?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 5:45 PM

Sounds great if it is like the one I use as I really do not like alway change resources feature as it is very time consuming.  

Posts 33483
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 6:45 PM

Lawrence Espinosa:
I really do not like alway change resources feature as it is very time consuming.  

No, that is not how Logos is intended to be used. Start here then get back to me with questions Parallel Resource Sets – Logos Help Center

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 9:24 PM

Thanks, this looks like it will work. With wordsearch it was more easy to figure out and use but this will work by creating my own resources.

thank you so much

Posts 461
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 9:48 PM

Hi M.J.

You are correct in that (Logos) Parallel Resources and (WordSearch) Carousel are pretty much the same thing. The WordSearch version really is a bit easier to set up until you get a handle on how to create collections. The one thing that W.S. has that Logos doesn't are < & > buttons at the bottom of the Resource panel to navigate the Collection/Carousel with your mouse. It also has a "Go to the the 1st carousel book" button. The Parallel resource drop-down menu can easily fill that roll.

W.S. makes use of the left and right arrow keys the same as Logos. W.S. does NOT have the drop-down menu to select a resource from your Collection/Carousel as does Logos.

Lawrence you "can" with only a little adjustment make Logos work in the way you are used to in W.S.

EDIT:

Looks like Lawrence replied to you while I was typing this up... Huh?

Posts 19402
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 13 2020 11:47 PM

Roy:
You are correct in that (Logos) Parallel Resources and (WordSearch) Carousel are pretty much the same thing. The WordSearch version really is a bit easier to set up until you get a handle on how to create collections.

Alternative to creating collection(s) for parallel resources is prioritizing resources so list of parallel resources has favorite ones at the top. Personally have my highest preferred commentary as third highest resource with Bible indexing, which allows Right Click => Reference => Look Up (for quick way to open my favorite commentary to the desired verse). Logos Help Center (LHC) has 

Roy:
W.S. does NOT have the drop-down menu to select a resource from your Collection/Carousel as does Logos.

Parallel list of resources also appears (on right side) when click "+" to open a new tab.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 14 2020 8:34 AM

It’s not a drop down but the Carousal has a way to select what is in your library exactly by resource.  Such as Bibles shows all your Bibles on one side and then you click the one you want to add to the carousal and the same For other resources such as commentaries, then word studies.  It is a very easy to use. You can also do the same thing as Logos in creating different Desktop views and name them.  Also all my Commentaries are grouped together by set and not by individual book whicH is shown as collapsed Windows.  the List of resources in a logos is strange in not grouping the Commentary under one header but each part of the series.  Not sure if this is something I can change in My settings.  

You can also see all your resources on the left panel grouped together such as Bibles, Dictionaries, Commentaries, Word Studies and so on. You can also use search as a filter to fins anything similar to Logos

Example:  WS has Complete Biblical Library then broke up into 2 divisions.  Old Testament and New Testament, then if you uncollapse the NT then All the NT books will show up.  When I lmk it as a resource, I just linked the header and not each individual book.  when working with Logos I see it works by just adding one resource but it seems weird..

My Menus seem very busy with books where normally Word Search shows groupings.  There are groupings of Books in Logos but I always see each book in a series rather then them coming all grouped together.  This may be my learning curve but being used to how simple WORDsearch was to use having to get used to a more complex program will take time. 

Posts 29
Lawrence Espinosa | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2020 8:30 AM

Hi MJ

i was trying to connect my Bible to Complete Biblical Library but it seems that I have to choose each book in the set rather than the set.  Is there a way around this.  I know that in word search i was able to do so so they scroll together in individual pains by the by the set I chose to open but here it seems it is by individual book,

thank you in advance for your assistance. 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS