Suggestions: Importing Layouts.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:16 PM

Hi,

Mark Barnes and others are doing some great work sharing their layouts with us via video. It would be really handy if layouts could be imported from another user. New users would have a headstart and power users would have a starting point for quick customization.

Posts 1948
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:17 PM

The trick will be if the layout uses resources that aren't in your library because libraries can often vary.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:26 PM

This is one drawback of the version 4 system compared to version 3. In version 3, I could share layouts, collections, parallel resources, serial resources, searches, visual filters, annotations, toolbars, etc. more with other users just by copying the files from one computer to another. I would lot to have this capability in version 4. Perhaps it could be done by exporting and importing from the database that stores these customizations.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:34 PM

I am reminded of the old adage, "give a man a fish, he has a meal.  teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime."

I am not saying there is no value in the suggestion BTW, but teaching others to use the tools is important too.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 29
Matt Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 12:50 PM

Joe Miller:

I am reminded of the old adage, "give a man a fish, he has a meal.  teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime."

I am not saying there is no value in the suggestion BTW, but teaching others to use the tools is important too.

I agree teaching others is important, this just might save some of the legwork. 

Don,

Yes I thought about the resources issue, parallel resources ought to be able to handle that perhaps?

If the resource issue can't be overcome then Mark Barnes layouts will be no use to  me, he has too many books!

(Trying hard to apply 10th commandment to myself here!) Smile 

Posts 173
Eleanor Emmott | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:14 PM

This would also be helpful for people who are working together or helping one another with research.

I belong to a "Logos family"... my husband and father and I each have our own copy of Logos.  Sometimes we help each other with research, or just find something that would be good to share.  It would be wonderful to be able to send them a "layout file" (or something similar) and for them to be able to load it.  I know that we can do something similar with reading lists, but a layout would also allow us to share particular searches, or specific points in a resource.

Similarly, it would be nice to be able to share clippings and notes documents with co-workers, fellow students, or family members who also use Logos.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:38 PM

Take a gander http://community.logos.com/forums/p/6509/50567.aspx#50567  Bob has indicated that user files will be shareable in the future. I would hope layouts will be included in that!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS