Large Resource Update on or after Sept. 23 2013

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9016
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 6:37 PM

fgh:

Who could possibly want to index several times in the same day?

Again I speak personally but I hardly notice indexing since I began to use a SSD.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 6:48 PM

Good for you, but for me it's a 3-4-5 hour process each time, during which I can get very little done. And I doubt the computer is very happy running at 150-200% CPU and 82-83°C for long stretches of time again and again.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9016
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 6:55 PM

I'm sorry if it sounded as if I was gloating or bragging for I didn't mean it to come across that way. I was just saying that I didn't notice it. Actually you have reminded me of how frustrated I used to be before I took the plunge to install a SSD. The same frustration that you are expressing was my experience in the past and that is the reason that I went this way. I apologize for my insensitivity.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 8:59 PM

All hard drives fail. It's merely a question of time.

Anecdotally, when SSDs fail, they tend to fail suddenly and catastrophically, more so than a regular HDD.

I can think of a number of situations where the user may choose to run programs off a "spinner", instead of an SSD.

Just saying.

Posts 10329
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:39 PM

That's interesting (the SSD drive failing).  Of course, we're supposed to breath a sigh of relief since Logos will download the missing Bible software etc.

I wondering now if I'd just let it die, after using Logos on the iPod during the trip up to Washington. There'd be no gigabyte downloads, updates, indexing, etc. Essentially Libby and Logo would switch places ... Libby would do the original languages thing, and Logo would do the reading on my iPod.  All that'd be missing would be some of Rick's work. But hard decisions require hard choices.

Solved.

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:22 AM

Denise:
That's interesting (the SSD drive failing).  Of course, we're supposed to breath a sigh of relief since Logos will download the missing Bible software etc.

Yeah - for better or worse, with Logos "stuff" being on the cloud, that information is backed up.  Admittedly, sync has not always been smooth.

If you want some more information about SSD's and databases, some discussion on a forum from another of my hobbies may be of interest to you - http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,86250.150.html

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 9016
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:09 AM

Ken McGuire:

Denise:

Yeah - for better or worse, with Logos "stuff" being on the cloud, that information is backed up.  Admittedly, sync has not always been smooth.

If you want some more information about SSD's and databases, some discussion on a forum from another of my hobbies may be of interest to you - http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,86250.150.html

SDG

Ken McGuire

I have not heard this about SSDs before. I hope that the lifespan is at least the same as standard ones.

Maybe I could have responding using a Ham radio. Wink

Posts 9016
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:31 AM

This site was referenced in another similar thread about SSDs. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/75670.aspx  I thought I would reference it here as well. - http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Posts 1606
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:51 AM

Bruce Dunning:
Maybe I could have responding using a Ham radio.

...- . ...-- ..--..  -.. . -.- -.-. ---.. .-.. - .-.. -...- ..- .-.  ..... -. -. .... .-. -...- --- .--. -.- . -. -...- --.- - ....  .--- -.-. -.- ... --- -.  -- .. -...- .... .--  -.-. .--. ..--..  -.-

(VE3? DE KC8LTL - UR 5NN HR - OP KEN - QTH JACKSON MI - HW CP? K for the Morse impaired)

Big Smile

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:08 PM

Hi folks.

I thought I'd offer a quick debrief of the update, what happened, and what we hope to change next time we have a large update of both resources and data.

Essentially, there are two different update processes, one for data (like syntax data, lemma list data, etc.) and one for resources. The basic problem was one of synchronizing these two processes to result in a single update to users.

What happened is, I think, largely due to my own misunderstanding of the best way to synchronize these two processes.

The data process kicked off first. This resulted in several small updates for those who happened to be live when the updates hit. Later in the day, the resource update kicked off. This resulted in the larger update in the evening (well, evening at Logos offices, anyway). Unfortunately, there was an issue in migrating the resources to the update server, and an incomplete set of resources was uploaded for release. This resulted in the indexing/search issues that were reported on this thread and others. On Tuesday morning, we were able to release the remaining resources for update, which resulted in a third sizeable update.

Lastly, the Audio LEB NT had an issue, and was delivered on Tuesday morning as well. We also had an issue reported with the SBLGNT that I considered serious enough to release a new copy right away (essentially, there were large areas of text, e.g. Jude, where spaces were missing).

We plan on releasing an updated copy of the NASB95 (text and reverse interlinears) on Monday to address an issue that was highlighted in a different forum thread (here: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/41957.aspx). That update will also include a rebuilt version of LGNTISBL, which was updated for the same reason as the SBLGNT, but is a bit less visible in the interlinear and therefore less critical to update right now.

What we hope to do in the future for large updates such as this (note: I don't anticipate another update of this nature any time soon) is to consolidate the two update processes (data and resource) into one channel, which should reduce the future chances for the types of things that happened with this particular update.

I apologize for this. It didn't go the way I thought it would either. Thanks, folks, for understanding and also for letting us know how this was experienced on your end so that we can work to make the next such update a better experience for everyone.

If you have further questions or want to continue the discussion about this with me privately, then please email me: my first name at logos dot com is the address.

- Rick

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 169
Daniel NM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:18 PM

Rick Brannan (Logos):

I thought I'd offer a quick debrief of the update, what happened, and what we hope to change next time we have a large update of both resources and data.

Thank you, Rick, for the transparency and keeping us updated. SmileYes

<!-- -->

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 1:38 PM

Daniel NM:
Thank you, Rick, for the transparency and keeping us updated.

Amen.

Posts 2474
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 2:07 PM

@RB

Looks like a menagerie of bad factors showed up at the office in one day. May it never happen again! Big Smile

Alright, lesson learned. Let's move on. Actually, I kind of like the idea of pushing mega-updates. But a fortnightly Tuesday bash to roll out accumulated, non-essential updates (timed NOT to coincide with the MS Patch Tuesday) sounds wonderful too.

Posts 5566
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 2:57 PM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
I apologize for this. It didn't go the way I thought it would either. Thanks, folks, for understanding and also for letting us know how this was experienced on your end so that we can work to make the next such update a better experience for everyone.

Thanks for the explanation, Rick.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:20 PM

Thanks, Rick. Appreciated.

In case it helps your troubleshooting: the "syntax data, lemma list data, etc" did not come first. At least not to me. That came in my sixth download, while I was typing my first (?) complaint in this thread. Or, well, Clauses must have come one or two downloads earlier, but other than that, what came in the first five batches was [non-Bible] resources. WordSenses came two hours after the rest of the data. The first half of the Bibles downloaded just after you opened Wednesday, and the rest around Noon (they may have been released earlier, but I wasn't there to check.) And then LEB, and then the SNLGNT.

Oh, one more thing: what really helps -- apart from one download instead of elevenSmile -- is if you try to plan updates so that they need either Bible or Library indexing, but prefereably not both. The Bible indexing isn't so bad, but if you throw one single monograph in with a bunch of Bibles, that's two hours or so of extra indexing time, given my library and my computer.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1302
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:28 PM

fgh:
In case it helps your troubleshooting: the "syntax data, lemma list data, etc" did not come first. At least not to me. That came in my sixth download, while I was typing my first (?) complaint in this thread. Or, well, Clauses must have come one or two downloads earlier, but other than that, what came in the first five batches was [non-Bible] resources. WordSenses came two hours after the rest of the data.

Thanks for this, fgh.

Yes, this is all "data", released through that process. In talking with folks here, I think what happened is that after retrieving some of the data, your indexing kicked off, shutting the spigot off. This was a nasty circle of download-smaller-file-then-index. Then the biggies (resources, so Bibles, reverse interlinears, and some others) came after that.

Thanks for your understanding and for providing some details. I really hope that if we have to do an update like this again, it'll go more smoothly.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:02 PM

Just completed a 1 GB update.  Went without a hitch ... a little more than an hour, including indexing.

Thanks for the upgrade, Logos!  Awesome!

Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:14 PM

Rick Brannan (Logos):
In talking with folks here, I think what happened is that after retrieving some of the data, your indexing kicked off, shutting the spigot off.

I didn't do any indexing until 7PM PST, after the WordSenses arrived. 

Rick Brannan (Logos):
Then the biggies (resources, so Bibles, reverse interlinears, and some others) came after that.

Like I said, The non-Bible resources came before the data, not after.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:17 PM

Mark Barnes:

Daniel NM:
Thank you, Rick, for the transparency and keeping us updated.

Amen.

Hi Mark,

Someone else may have posted previously ... we truly appreciate your expertise and forum posts.  The "My Library" link in your signature block is giving the following error to me:

Error:
HY000
no such table: Records

Given your credibility on the forums I'm feeling a little left out.  Help, please.

Smile

Posts 13372
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:39 PM

Steve:
Given your credibility on the forums I'm feeling a little left out.  Help, please.

I moved server a few weeks ago, and it's been broken every since. One day I'll fix it... Smile

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS