Think our forums are contentious

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28006
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 25 2013 7:16 PM

It appears to be part of a larger pattern:

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-09/why-were-shutting-our-comments?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=1&con=why-were-shutting-off-our-comments-

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 7:20 PM

Who would guess that Popular Science would be that contentious?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28
Fall-Guy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 7:22 PM

Reminiscent of Galileo being told to quit his comments on science. Sad to see the Popular Science website take that action.

Posts 10548
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 8:02 PM

Surprising, since at PopSci, 'the future is now'

They're don't need to argue about the future. Plus no prophets since 'the future is now'

Actually that was the NT promise!

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 25 2013 9:12 PM

Thanks M.J. for this interesting article.  I have experienced the difficulty in articulating a comment or question in a way that adds to an on-line discussion.  Timing, audience, vocabulary, context have worked against my sincere intentions.  It inclines me to step back from participation at times. 

For the host of such services it comes down to the question of where to draw the lines.  Popular Science is simply making a choice on where the line is for them. 

In that respect, I've come to appreciate Logos' Forum Guidelines in approaching the difficulties of managing website forums.

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:02 AM

Steve:
In that respect, I've come to appreciate Logos' Forum Guidelines in approaching the difficulties of managing website forums.

I too am gaining a greater appreciation of this as time passes.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:46 AM

agreed.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 7:07 AM

With the greatest respect, Don, I think people were directing comments not to Logos at large, but in the context of some big incident that could have been avoided with slightly more care, by the people in charge of the rollout process.

There is room for grace, and also professionalism. It's not always a clear line or an easy line to walk, but I think the directed complaints have been fair in this particular situation. To take a particular example, regarding my comments, I chose to characterise the error in a manner which might have sounded "nasty and unforgiving". I take responsibility for that. But to my thinking, in a purely secular setting, if grace were not an ethos, an error of a similar magnitude could have led to economic consequences far worse. As far as I see it, grace is still operating.

Posts 300
JPH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:09 PM

That article was stupid.

;)

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:57 PM

JPH:

That article was stupid.

;)

I agree, here is a quote from the article for those who did not actually read it.

A politically motivated, decades-long war on expertise has eroded the popular consensus on a wide variety of scientifically validated topics. Everything, from evolution to the origins of climate change, is mistakenly up for grabs again.

This is stupid.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 7:14 PM

Kent:

JPH:

That article was stupid.

;)

I agree, here is a quote from the article for those who did not actually read it.

A politically motivated, decades-long war on expertise has eroded the popular consensus on a wide variety of scientifically validated topics. Everything, from evolution to the origins of climate change, is mistakenly up for grabs again.

This is stupid.

It truly is a bizarre quote, especially from someone who - ostensibly at least - is claiming to be scientifically-oriented.  

~Butters Smile

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 8:40 PM

Butters:
t truly is a bizarre quote, especially from someone who - ostensibly at least - is claiming to be scientifically-oriented.  

Big Smile I'd like to weigh in on this...... 185lbs.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3677
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:53 PM

Super.Tramp:
I'd like to weigh in on this...... 185lbs.

With or without Logos? If with, how many resources? Stick out tongue Had to turn this back to Logos somehow? Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 10:02 PM

BillS:

Super.Tramp:
I'd like to weigh in on this...... 185lbs.

With or without Logos? If with, how many resources? Stick out tongue

That's the joy of digital books. They don't weigh anything, so his weight would be the same whether with Logos or without. Well, of course you've got to count the weight of his laptop or whatever, but that's not what you asked.

Posts 885
LogosEmployee
Ben Amundgaard (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 8:56 AM

Did y'all see this related piece from the NY Times? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/magazine/no-comments.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Director, Bible Study Products Department

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 9:19 AM

Ben Amundgaard:

Did y'all see this related piece from the NY Times? http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/magazine/no-comments.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Nice history. 

Do you suppose forum incivility has replaced the saloon of the Wild, Wild, West? We need some place to come to fistifcuffs.

Posts 2832
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 3:11 PM

Kent:

JPH:

That article was stupid.

;)

This is stupid.

Wow!  And I thought everything was always up for grabs in science, and you simply go where the evidence leads.  Apparently, you go where the evidence leads, unless it leads to scientific heresy.

That opening sentence:  "Comments can be bad for science. That's why, here at PopularScience.com, we're shutting them off."  In other words, from now on we will tell you what to believe.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 3:16 PM

Michael Childs:

Apparently, you go where the evidence leads, unless it leads to scientific heresy.

Very interesting comment, Michael.  I'm intrigued.  What is scientific heresy?

Posts 2886
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2013 9:52 AM

Steve:
Very interesting comment, Michael.  I'm intrigued.  What is scientific heresy?

Scientific heresy is holding an interpretation of evidence that is different from the consensus held by a particular group. The particular group is hard to define, but consists mostly of those who control the primary journals in the various fields and those to whom they give access.

Back to the first point, civility is nearly dead in this culture. I need not provide any evidence to support that assertion; it is readily available in this forum, at the line at your local Starbucks, at the stoplight down town, etc.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 28 2013 10:31 AM

Doc B:
Scientific heresy is holding an interpretation of evidence that is different from the consensus held by a particular group. The particular group is hard to define, but consists mostly of those who control the primary journals in the various fields and those to whom they give access.

Once upon a time it was scientific heresy for a doctor to wash his hands between treating patients. The doctor probably greeted his patients with a handshake. Maybe incivility is a form of enhanced hygiene. 

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS