Moving to Logos from WordSearch

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 14
Paul LeBoutillier | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:35 PM

Hey everyone, I guess I'm kind of the new kid on the block.

For YEARS I've been using WordSearch Bible on a PC and had actually accumulated quite a library, but about a month ago I picked up my first Google Chromebook and I haven't looked back since...except maybe for the issue of studying the Word.

Like Logos, WordSearch has a website that can link your library, but it's...well...let's just say "not sufficient" and leave it at that. Same with their Android app which, in their defense, is very new. But I need to study NOW! (I'm a Senior Pastor of a Calvary Chapel in Oregon.)

I've been playing around with the Logos app on my Android tablet and then stumbled across biblia.com once I got my Chromebook and I realized Logos was WAY down the road on these things compared to WS. Sooooo, here I am. I won't be running the standalone Logos program, but instead will be using the website (biblia) and my Nexus 10 tablet. I've already started purchasing some books for my immediate needs and will slowly keep doing the same. Looking forward to being part of the community. :)

Until my profile picture shows up, I'll just sign off as "the Shadow!" :)

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:38 PM

Welcome- funny I'm doing the reverse :)

Posts 14
Paul LeBoutillier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 3:50 PM

Serious? Why? 

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 4:01 PM

Like you, I'm a pastor and use Logos all the time. Since I got an iPad about 18 months ago I use the Logos app there a lot. Great for reading but not so much so for studying.

I have to say that you will be missing an awful lot of what Logos can do for your Bible study and sermon prep using the iPad app and Biblia only. The desktop app is miles ahead of what the tablet apps can do. If you have a laptop or desktop and haven't downloaded the Logos program and tried it out, I'd recommend that. Of course, until you buy a base package or the Minimal Crossgrade, lots of the datasets needed to show off all the features of Logos won't be there. I know that means money spent on Logos when you have already spent money on WordSearch, but Logos is serious software for the pastor.

If you have questions on the Android app, be sure to ask them in the Android forum; Biblia questions in the Biblia.com forum.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 14
Paul LeBoutillier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 5:27 PM

Thanks for the note Mark. I know I'm giving up a lot by using the web and a tablet as my primary method of accessing my Logos Library, but it's a decision I've made to free myself from the PC/Mac dominance and so far I'm loving my Chromebook. 

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 8:01 PM

Paul LeBoutillier:

Serious? Why? 

Basically, I have found with dual monitors I can run both programs and accomplish the something, without paying double price for some of the same resources. Also, I have reverted back to a paper library for some resources due to the cost, since the references appear in logos resources I simply pull the book and look them up, once again saving a "substantial" amount of $$$. 

Posts 11317
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 8:20 PM

Wow. Chroming with Logos!  That's going to be tough. (Well, anyway from the perspective of using Logos on a PC).

My better half uses a Chromebook.  To successfully use it, you really have to accept the Chromification world. After that, it's smooth sailing.

But for heavy-duty Bible study, it's over to the Lenovo that is literally configured to run Logos4/5.

I sure hope you don't interpret this negatively but, wow.

I guess I'm just so thrilled how much can be seen and enjoyed during Bible study with the full product (I also use Libronix, the older version, but the power of Logos is immense).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 14
Paul LeBoutillier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:18 PM

Yeah but I've never had the stand alone program so... Ignorance is bliss. :-) 

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 9:45 PM

Paul LeBoutillier:
Ignorance is bliss. :-) 

Or it is very costly. I suppose we shall have to let you decided which is the case. I vote for costly. Wink

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 22
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 11:49 PM

Why not use MyStudyBible? https://www.mystudybible.com/

Posts 2784
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 5:34 AM

Remember that you can use your Chromebook and your tablet at the same time. I do this often, Chromebook for writing and the tablet for my Bible study resources.

Posts 14
Paul LeBoutillier | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 6:53 AM

Kevin that is precisely what I do and it works great. And Kennet, I sincerely tried the mystudybible.com site but it is just very slow and books cannot be linked. The biblia sit is just plain better.

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 11:19 AM

Paul LeBoutillier:

Serious? Why? 

I know it wasn't his reasoning but a very valid reason MIGHT be wanting to not need to run a virtual box and moving to LINUX, under WINE Wordsearch 10 I am told works great (in effect i do know this since it is code weavers version of WINE that gives us the Macintosh version). I was looking just the other day at what is the best software to run on Linux and found nothing too impressive till i came across an article saying how well Wordsearch runs on it. Now unfortunately WINE (ironically  standing for WINE IS NOT an Emulator) is not a solution for Logos as I understand it. 

-Dan

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS