Slower and s l o w e r a n d s l o w e r

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:06 PM

Okay, this is getting rediculous...  I know this is a bit of a rant but I'm very frustrated.

I've got a i7 laptop with 8 gigs of memory.  Every time I start Logos it gets slower and slower and slower.  It's either trying to install new updates, preparing my library, or something else.  It takes on average 2.5 minutes from the time I click on the icon till being able to actually use the software.  When I'm not using the software my hard drive is crunching away because the Logos indexing service is CONSTANTLY running the hard drive.  Logos slows my entire machine down considerably.

I have 300 GB free on my hard drive, and I have very few other services running on my laptop.  I'm very conscious about viruses and keeping my computer free of malware, and unnecessary start up programs.  I'm constantly keeping the amount of stuff on my computer to a minimum.  I worked in the IT industry for a decade.  I know my tech.  I help others deal with slow machines.

I open the passage guide to acts 19, and my machine grinds to a halt for 30 seconds.

Something is going crazy wrong.

version Logos Bible Software 5.1b (5.1.2.0020) 

Posts 1714
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:46 PM

Derek:

Okay, this is getting rediculous...  I know this is a bit of a rant but I'm very frustrated.

It takes on average 2.5 minutes from the time I click on the icon till being able to actually use the software.  

version Logos Bible Software 5.1b (5.1.2.0020) 

Is your Hard Drive a 5400 or 7200 rpm? That could be a huge reason why indexing takes so long.

Are you opening to the Homepage or to a saved layout? This could drastically reduce start up time.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 27014
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 1:04 PM

Please enable and post logs.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2163
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 4:59 PM

Just a guess, but do you have an Exegetical Guide open and the Word By Word section open so it is populating for every word?

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 3 2013 5:23 PM

Derek:

I'm very conscious about viruses and keeping my computer free of malware, and unnecessary start up programs.  I'm constantly keeping the amount of stuff on my computer to a minimum.  I worked in the IT industry for a decade.  I know my tech.  I help others deal with slow machines.

Derek,

Just a thought ... did you mark Logos folders & Programs as trusted in your AntiVirus ... if not that might be one area to look at. A good test will be to disable antivirus for temporarily to see if that might be the culprit Smile

I believe you are aware that you need the indexing to complete it's job before you can meaningfully use Logos. All the best.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 16
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 9:56 AM

I had the same problem with the slowness at startup. I have worked in the IT industry around 19 years and I could not understand why it was becoming slower. Well, my issue was I did not defrag my hard drive for awhile and after I ran a good 3rd party disk defragment program. The logos startup time went from 3 minutes back to under a minute. I not sure that this will resolve the slowness issue you are having but I just wanted to see if I could help.

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 10:15 AM

Derek:
I've got a i7 laptop with 8 gigs of memory.  Every time I start Logos it gets slower and slower and slower.  It's either trying to install new updates, preparing my library, or something else.  It takes on average 2.5 minutes from the time I click on the icon till being able to actually use the software.  When I'm not using the software my hard drive is crunching away because the Logos indexing service is CONSTANTLY running the hard drive.  Logos slows my entire machine down considerably.

Almost certainly what is happening is that your indexer is crashing during indexing, so your index is continually being rebuilt. If you upload logs, we should be able to work out the cause. See http://wiki.logos.com/diagnostic_logging

Posts 285
Luigi Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 4 2013 9:33 PM

first, my apology to all for replying to a similar post like this with a lack of thinking the best of people / logos.

My observation is that L5 has had 'indexing' problems from the start.

What does everyone think of this suggestion:

Could logos provide its users with manual updates instead?  Ie: (1) users can go to their logos account online and see if there is any new updates for any of thier library / tools, and download them individually or as a package executable to install offline.

surly after such a long time of this being a significant problem, the old school way is the right way for stability sake?I am sure that there would be enough logos users that really require stability rather than the uncertainty and lack of finer control through the automation updating process.

Perhaps the automation system that is within L5 can be turned into "L5 - developer edition" , and another called L5 - 'stable edition'

thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion.

Posts 2150
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 5:50 AM
If you have a PC and a traditional hard drive, you will probably need to defragment after one or more indexing runs. Macs and SSD do not need this, but I find anywhere between 5 and 15 percent fragmentation after indexing. Not sure if Logos can resolve this, but it would be desirable.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 8:36 AM

Luigi Sam:
Could logos provide its users with manual updates instead?  Ie: (1) users can go to their logos account online and see if there is any new updates for any of thier library / tools, and download them individually or as a package executable to install offline.

You can already turn automatic updates off, from within Program Settings.

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 7:34 AM

Okay, logs attached.  Logos and Indexer take turns taking up 100% of my hard drive access and 30-60% of my processor speed.  I have an i7 processor.  This should not be repeatedly taking over my computer.  I am so fed up with this.

Sorry for the delay in replying, been traveling and working on my thesis.

PLEASE HELP!  This disk access is killing my hard drive.

6138.LogosIndexer.zip

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 7:59 AM

The indexer log you've attached shows 8 minutes of indexing. This is perfectly normal behaviour after a resource update. It would only be abnormal if it never completed (it's only re-indexing 32 resources, so it shouldn't take too long on your PC - perhaps 15-30 minutes).

If it does continue indefinitely, then we'd need to see logs that showed what was happening then. Ideally that would be error/crash logs, or an indexer log that contains more than 8 minutes of logging.

Posts 9858
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:12 AM

Welcome back to CBS, Derek. I'm presently downloading 2gig of updates so I can look at a hebrew update. I don't want to even think about the indexing.

Answers like 'just turn your updates off' to the suggestion of selective downloading, fits well into CBS.

Or, it's perfectly normal to have 100% of your CPU indexing for 15-30 minutes (for your 32 resources; I hate to think about my 2gig).

Yes, welcome home to CBS (Crazy Bible Software).

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:17 AM

Mark, I killed all the processes to restart the indexing with the log files turned on.  My machine has been grinding away for 4 hours this morning.

It disrupted my computer for the entire 8 hours it was on yesterday

It did the same thing the day before that, including all night long

I finally strarted turning off my machine because I am worried about killing my hard drive.

The log file does not show that it's been running constantly for over a month whenever the computer is on.

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:19 AM

YEa, 15-30 minutes would be nice.  My computer fan is running on full steam for hours on end.  Most of my time is in Skype calls and people I talk to cannot hear me over the fan in my laptop.

This should NOT be happening.

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:21 AM

Logos support gave me this answer...  

So... the answer to the indexer running over and over and over again.... is to run the index over again..??  Zheesh.

Logos:

Thank you for your call today. The problem  you are experiencing is due to a corrupt indexer. You will need to rebuild the index in Logos 5.  This process may slow down your computer and I would recommend running it when you have  you do not require the use of your computer. Please ensure that your computer stays “on” until the process is complete. Please click on the following link to further details on rebuilding the indexer: http://www.logos.com/support/Logos4/Windows/indexer_troubleshooting.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-875-6467 if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your attention to this matter and I hope you have a great day!

Sincerely,

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:03 AM

Derek:
The log file does not show that it's been running constantly for over a month whenever the computer is on.

It hasn't been running constantly according to the log you sent. The indexer had only been running for 8 minutes. It's possible (probable, given your description) that the indexer keeps restarting, but even then, it should only restart if you restart the computer, or restart Logos.

Unless we get a log that includes the restart, I can't tell you whether the advice you've received from CS is the right advice or not. The error/crash logs should be decisive in that regard.

Posts 128
Derek | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:43 AM

Thank you, Mark.

To completely repeat what I've already written:

I've had the task manager open all morning and the Logos Indexer was running at 30-60% all morning and disk access at 100%.  

I killed the indexer task and restarted logos holding down the ctrl key.This created a log file.  When I used winzip to zip up the log it had been 8 minutes since shutting down the indexer task.  So yes. The log says only 8 minutes running.  

But you don't seem to believe me that the indexer was running all morning and you don't seem to believe what I am reporting as a user.  

No worries.  I don't need your acknowledgement.

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:15 AM

Derek:
But you don't seem to believe me that the indexer was running all morning and you don't seem to believe what I am reporting as a user.  

I understand you are frustrated, and I would be in your position. But I have never said, nor implied that I don't believe you. I am trying to find clarity. I am trying to determine whether the indexing keeps running without stopping, or continually keeps restarting. There little difference in the symptoms of the two scenarios, but it could make a big difference in diagnosis. If it's the former, then forcing a re-index probably won't help. If it's the latter, it might. 

But the only solution for proper diagnosis is proper logs. To do a proper diagnosis, we need your description of the problem (which we have, and understand), and crash/error logs and and indexing log that covers the period during which there was a problem.

Posts 24350
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:47 AM

Derek:
I killed the indexer task and restarted logos holding down the ctrl key.This created a log file.  When I used winzip to zip up the log it had been 8 minutes since shutting down the indexer task.  So yes. The log says only 8 minutes running.  

To emphasize what Mark is saying, we need to see indexer logs after several hours running to determine if it is repeating the process and why. The log after 8 minutes shows only that it has indexed part of your library normally.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS