Logos 5 and OpenOffice?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 5 2013 8:26 AM

I'm about to give up on my Word installation -- Crying -- and switch to OpenOffice.  Does anyone have any comments or advice on copy/paste and exporting from Logos 5 to OpenOffice?  How about using the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts in OpenOffice, and other other Logos-specific fonts?

Thank you!

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Surface Pro 7/Intel Core i7-1065 G7@1.30GHz/16 GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 8:36 AM

Mary-Ellen:

I'm about to give up on my Word installation -- Crying -- and switch to OpenOffice.  Does anyone have any comments or advice on copy/paste and exporting from Logos 5 to OpenOffice?  How about using the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts in OpenOffice, and other other Logos-specific fonts?

Thank you!

I did give OpenOffice a try a while back, but decided not to go that route. I do know that more Logos users have spoken well of Libre Office (LO) than OpenOffice (OO), with many making the switch from OO to LO. It seems (if I am remembering what I've read correctly) the LO implementation plays better with the Personal Book (PB) feature of Logos. Since I don't use either, I won't make any recommendations, I'm just making some observations, with the suggestion that you explore LO before getting too settled into OO, in case that observation has some correlation to reality. Wink

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:24 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
I did give OpenOffice a try a while back, but decided not to go that route.

Thanks, Richard!  So what word processor do you use now?  Just curious . . .

Posts 44
Ben Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:43 AM

I switched to OO from WordPerfect, but changed to LibreOffice about a year ago and am quite satisfied. No problem copying and pasting from L5. You should take care with styles because some of the styles will copy over to LO with formatting you may not want. You can always just use plain text or (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-V in LO).

Ben

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:49 AM

Mary-Ellen:
Does anyone have any comments or advice on copy/paste and exporting from Logos 5 to OpenOffice?

LibreOffice is certainly worth considering, but the new OpenOffice 4 is usually considered as good (unlike previous versions of OpenOffice). But I think .docx performance is still slightly better in LO, so as Richard says, for Logos use, that's probably to be preferred.

LibreOffice is now supported in the Copy Bible Verses Tool. General copy/paste works OK, although footnotes don't always come through properly.

Mary-Ellen:
How about using the SBL Greek and Hebrew fonts in OpenOffice, and other other Logos-specific fonts?

There's no problem with this. OpenOffice is fully Unicode compatible. There are some problem with mixed left-to-right and right-to-left type (see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/RTL_Bugs), but you should be able to avoid most of those unless you do a lot of Hebrew.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:50 AM

Mary-Ellen:

Richard DeRuiter:
I did give OpenOffice a try a while back, but decided not to go that route.

Thanks, Richard!  So what word processor do you use now?  Just curious . . .

I migrated from WordPerfect to MS Word. The main reason being that too much information is passed via MS Office document formats, which (lamentably) has become the industry standard. I tried OO as an alternative, but found that the import/export via OO or WP was never been 100% reliable. I need to be able to exchange documents, spread sheets and presentations with people in several ministry networks. MS Office is used in each of them. I was also able to get a discounted price for MS Office Pro (since MS Office Home/Student licensing is not allowed for churches) through CCB, which made it affordable for me.

I gave up on WP for two other main reasons (well, more but I won't bother listing all of them): no true/full implementation of unicode & no export to docx format (required for PB's in L4/5).

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:12 AM

Thank you both for your thoughts and suggestions.  I'll definitely take a look at Libre Office.  Yet another learning curve . . . Smile

Posts 103
Roger G Black | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:37 AM

I went to look into the file, binged it and went directly to their site.  I was in the process to install when I received several Norton notices that the file is malicious and therefore stopped.  Mind that I went to libre.org.  Perhaps someone might have a better time with this, I just won't jump into since Norton and malware flagged the file malicious.

BlueBird

Rog {BlueBird} Cool

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 10:41 AM

Roger G Black:

I went to look into the file, binged it and went directly to their site.  I was in the process to install when I received several Norton notices that the file is malicious and therefore stopped.  Mind that I went to libre.org.  Perhaps someone might have a better time with this, I just won't jump into since Norton and malware flagged the file malicious.

BlueBird

Could be a false positive. Try downloading it from Download.CNET dot com (or some other reliable site that certifies virus-free downloads). Norton (and some other anti-virus programs) can be overly aggressive at times.

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 11:36 AM

Roger G Black:
Mind that I went to libre.org.  

It's http://www.libreoffice.org/

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 12:20 PM

Wikipedia has Libre Office => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreoffice and Apache Open Office => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice

Note: after Oracle acquired Sun, the original Open Office was forked.  A number of developers went to Libre Office.  Oracle stopped their Open Office development in April 2011.  Apache Open Office is the successor to Open Office.

Libre Office released version 4.1.1 on 29 Aug 2013 => https://www.libreoffice.org/

Apache Open Office released 4.0.1 on 1 Oct 2013 => http://www.openoffice.org/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2753
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 2:09 PM
I use both Mac and PC so it has been more than a little annoying to switch word processors. Add iOS and Android and you have some real problems. LibreOffice is fine on PC, but seems to crash a lot on Mac. I am using NeoOffice to keep my Mac happy. OO crashes too on my Mac. The only real reason for these choices are based on docx files. If I had no need for compatibility, I'd switch to a RTF word processor forever.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 622
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 2:29 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Wikipedia has Libre Office => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libreoffice and Apache Open Office => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice

Note: after Oracle acquired Sun, the original Open Office was forked.  A number of developers went to Libre Office.  Oracle stopped their Open Office development in April 2011.  Apache Open Office is the successor to Open Office.

Libre Office released version 4.1.1 on 29 Aug 2013 => https://www.libreoffice.org/

Apache Open Office released 4.0.1 on 1 Oct 2013 => http://www.openoffice.org/

Keep Smiling Smile

I have both Apache Open Office and Libre Office and I honestly cannot tell them apart once they are opened. Their screens, commands, and help files are identical.

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 3:59 PM

Hello, I have been using OpenOffice for several years and now using v.4. It works well. I use the copy paste feature all the time with Greek and English fonts. Use the "Special Paste" feature for pasting the Greek into your document. Paste it as text. Do not use the RFT choice. This I have learned by experience and this will print out fine. Hope this helps! Ergatees

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 5 2013 4:03 PM
As unformatted text. Sorry. On iPad the keyboard is funky causing a problem. Ergatees
Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 5:23 AM

Ergatees:
Use the "Special Paste" feature for pasting the Greek

Thanks for this tip.  I am having a little trouble with Hebrew words within copy/pasted English paragraphs in LibreOffice.  This gives me something to play with.  Wink

Posts 698
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 5:53 AM

I've tried OO as well as Libre Office as a Word replacement and ran into some minor and major depending on the document and software combo formatting issues. Right now I've been using Kingsoft and seem to have better consistency with my formatting across the board.

Posts 425
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 12:58 PM

Frank Sauer:
Kingsoft

Frank, do you work with Hebrew often?  If so, how does Kingsoft do with it?

OO and LO both seem to have problems switching mid-sentence from English L-to-R to Hebrew R-to-L and then back to English L-to-R.  It seems like the code marking the Hebrew includes an extra couple of characters that should be English, and I haven't been able to figure out how to iron it all out completely.

My Word installation seems hopelessly unhappy, consistent with problems reported by many across the internet.  I hope I don't have to wait until it's time to buy a new computer to get a full-powered word processor that can handle my needs.  :-(

Posts 622
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 2:00 PM

Mary-Ellen:

Frank Sauer:
Kingsoft

OO and LO both seem to have problems switching mid-sentence from English L-to-R to Hebrew R-to-L and then back to English L-to-R.  It seems like the code marking the Hebrew includes an extra couple of characters that should be English, and I haven't been able to figure out how to iron it all out completely.

My Word installation seems hopelessly unhappy, consistent with problems reported by many across the internet.  I hope I don't have to wait until it's time to buy a new computer to get a full-powered word processor that can handle my needs.  :-(

You might want to look at Melell (Spelling?). It is supposed to be excellent with Hebrew.

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 698
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 6 2013 2:23 PM

Sorry Mary-Ellen the only Hebrew I normally use in my documents is along the lines of copying and pasting it from the lexicon into the document. Everything always seems to line up appropriately in regard to that usage. Since Kingsoft does offer a free version, you may want to give it a shot and see if it meets your needs. They also offer a paid upgrade with more features that is fairly priced.

Mary-Ellen:

Frank Sauer:
Kingsoft

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS